ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WiFi, routers etc

Ford Fiesta
recently set one up at home, got desktop connected to it via ethernet cable, and potentially at same time got:

1) playstation 2 connected- wireless
2)laptop connected for net and printer sharing etc- wireless
3) Nintendo DS connected wireless
4) mates laptop if he comes round- wireless
5) Sony PSP gaming and odd internet browsing connected- wireless.

is there a limit for routers?

if not is there a limit by the isp, do they know of all the connections, do they care?

Got over 1MB broadband so not really noticing much slow down for normal browsing.

Last edited:
  Boxster S
There will be a limit on the number of wireless connections, I think my Belkin will take 30 at once +the number of wired ports.

As for the ISP - they have NO way of knowing how many things are connected once it gets to the router.

scuse me as i am stoopid never really looked at my PS2 (slimline) can it work with my wifi set up then on netgear?!?! I hate compooooooooters, my last one ended up drinking some Ribena!

308, Fusion
i think you'd have get a wifi adaptor for your slimline... as the for limit of connections, i usually see 4 wired n bout 10 wireless, could you connect that many things up! doubt it unless you was a small business

308, Fusion
im only saying that because even with the 360 you have get a wireless adaptor, i highly doubt the slimline is already equipped with the needed hardware

Ford Fiesta
sorry, didnt read your post correctly, not sure dave, ours is oldest model ps2 not slimline.

RB 182
The only way that your ISP would possibly know is the MAC address that your using, but then again your paying for the connection to the internet and if you choose to share it with other devices then that's your choice.

They do have limits but the chance of you reaching it is highly unlikely.

A4 Avant & A3
If i remember correctly, if your using DHCP to configure your connected computers you can connect up to something around 254 devices.
As for the ISP.. i know some used to not allow sharing, but not too sure now. they probably only see your router connecting anyway. it then passes addresses out to your attached devices.

The ISP dont know s**t. The only thing they can tell is the amount of traffic you are using. They dont know any of the MACs, except maybe the mac of your default gateway (router). The only time I would start to worry is if you are transferring more than your ISP cap (if it has one).

Ford Fiesta
TwoSugars said:
The ISP dont know sh*t. The only thing they can tell is the amount of traffic you are using. They dont know any of the MACs, except maybe the mac of your default gateway (router). The only time I would start to worry is if you are transferring more than your ISP cap (if it has one).

most braodband isps offer unlimited net access. Are thesetruly unlimited or if you constantly downladed at full bandwidth for 1 month would they have something to say?

just curious really.

If the ISP say the the "download cap" is Unlimited then there is nothing stopping you from constantly downloading.

The router is the device the states how many connections it will take, either wired or wireless. Make a not of the router manufacturer and look it up on the IE. It should state somewhere in the tech specs of the device!