ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'Wide Angle' Lens on 30D

Better than yours. C*nt.
Righty, firstoff I know as it's a 1.6x crop it's never going to be a particularly wide angle lens - I'm more after a 'wave the camera about indoors' lens. Got a 50mm f/1.8 lens which is absolutely ace, but I'm far, far too close to subjects with it. The two that fall into a 'rough' budget are the 24mm f/2.8 and the 28mm f/2.8. How big a difference am I likely to notice, is it worth going that little bit wider, and will I notice the extra 2" MFD on the 28mm?

The 24mm is £200 more... And the 28mm is exceptionally good apparently for the coin? Anything else fall into this in £300-ish bracket that I should consider? Sorry, all the above lenses are the Canon ones...

Better than yours. C*nt.
Sigma 10-20mm.

Lots more than £300, however I'll entertain the idea. What's it like for indoor shots though? At only f/4.0 at best, surely I've got to have a steady hand (and steady subject!) for darker indoor stuff?

35mm f2 or 28mm f2.8 get my shout - about the same price, 35mm is meant to be very good for the money.

VaVa
10-20 Siggy is OK.... Bit soft round the edges and crap indoors/low light, but good for the money.

I brought mine for £280 off ebay before lens prices went up. Sold it (as new though tbf) on gay bay for £340 :approve:

A4 Avant
my sigma 10-20 is the one lense I wouldn't buy again. Once your used to using other fast and sharp lenses it a bit disappointing.

A guy in the office has a 28mm f2.8 (Canon I think, using it on a 40d) and I was impressed with the images he showed me.

wide angle on a crop is 17-18mm, ultra wide is 10-12mm.

are you wanting somthing wider than your kit lens?

Righty, firstoff I know as it's a 1.6x crop it's never going to be a particularly wide angle lens - I'm more after a 'wave the camera about indoors' lens. Got a 50mm f/1.8 lens which is absolutely ace, but I'm far, far too close to subjects with it. The two that fall into a 'rough' budget are the 24mm f/2.8 and the 28mm f/2.8. How big a difference am I likely to notice, is it worth going that little bit wider, and will I notice the extra 2" MFD on the 28mm?

The 24mm is £200 more... And the 28mm is exceptionally good apparently for the coin? Anything else fall into this in £300-ish bracket that I should consider? Sorry, all the above lenses are the Canon ones...

Better than yours. C*nt.
I'm not so much after ultra-wide or wide-angle at the moment, as I'm not that far on but a decent prime on the front for taking indoor pics. Got the decent lens (17-85mm IS USM) but it's f/4.0-5.6 which it's struggling with taking pics without using a flash, which for the pictures I'm taking ruins the effect a little bit. As I said, the 50mm is epic for indoor pics but I have to stand a million miles away to get a decent shot.

Cheers all for the help though! I'm aiming to collect a few decent lenses as when I've got a decent collection (I'm asking for the 70-200mm f/4.0L for Chrimbo too) I can get a new body, but without the glass on the front I'm concerned I'll get the new body and still be disappointed! Probably 5D MkII second hand next year or something - if I buy it all in chunks then I only have to spend a grand or so on the body, whereas I could look at the fat end of £4k if I wanted to do it all outright and the Mrs would go bonkers!

dk

911 GTS Cab
the canon's what aren't that great?

i'm not come across a canon lens which is not up to scratch really (apart from the crappy cheap consumer stuff).

I have the 10-22 canon wide angle, its a very good lens, just not quite in your budget mike.