ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why does the aux belt 'have' to be done with the cambelt?

AB 182-GTI-6-205 GTI
Hi all,

Picked up my 182 on wednesday and im really happy with it other than it needing the dephaser changing.. Now, the belt kit and aux kit was done 18months or so back so is relatively new, so what im hoping to do is swap the dephaser for a new one and time it up on a new belt re-using everything else..

But. I keep reading posts that say when the cambelt is done the aux belt 'has' to be done, cant help but wonder why?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
because the aux belt has to come off to do the timing belt and its bad practice to re tention an old belt (as i suspect you know because your putting a new timing belt on it)

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Not to mention an aux belt is about £16 (£8 more if it has aircon)

It's worth it to be honest.

AB 182-GTI-6-205 GTI
Ahh i wondered if there was something silly like tensioners that could only be used once or whatever, i would replace the belt as a matter of course as its been off naturally.

Thanks for the info ;)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Another reason is because if the belt run fails or jumps (due to say incorrect tension or general belt fatigue) it normally ends up wrapped around the bottom sprocket... Which also slips the timing and bends valves.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Is there any time the 'old' timing belt can be reused? Mine was only done 5000 miles ago but I'm concerned the dephaser is making noises, damn forum!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
it can be used again but with something as important as a cambelt i see it as a silly desicion not to put new on there.

apparently its the tensioners that generally go on the F4 rather than the belt anyway. but again, why risk it?