ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why do people fit those crap Raceland Coilovers?

I have seen a recent influx of these coilovers on here recently. Why are people so keen to fit them to their ClioSports? The Clio's got absolutely glowing reviews with regards to it's handling from pretty much every motoring magazine/show worth reading/watching. In my opinion, fitting these cheap and nasty coilovers you are actually downgrading your suspension setup. I had a set of them on my old MX5 and saying they were terrible is an understatement. They are cheap for a reason you know. Raceland aren't exactly a quality brand. They (used to) mass produce universal products and taylor them to fit specific cars. I'd be willing to be no R+D has gone into the coilovers specifically for the Clio.

Who has them fitted? What are your thoughts on them?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
had them on my 1.2 very crashy ride handled OK but would never put them on a sport, no way!

Abarth 500 Esseesse
I'd bet it's for the lows more than anything. I have KTEC coilovers on mine which have mixed reviews and I'm fully aware that they are far from the best. But it still handles well on them. If it handles any worse, I haven't noticed!

It depends on what type of car modifier you are, i myself am performance over looks, but if your going for "the low's" and not bothered about handling or tracking etc, then why not.....

I cant see how they could be much worse than tired 172 suspension, if set at the right ride height and not very low.

182, 6r GTi
i think it because allot of people cant justify spending near 1k for a decent set. and manny people dont use there car on track so thers no point really.

Brand new standard shocks aren't exactly expensive though. Even the low go-ers could still stick a set of Eibach lowering springs on. Wouldn't work out to be that much more expensive than a set of those Raceland coilovers.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
Brand new standard shocks aren't exactly expensive though. Even the low go-ers could still stick a set of Eibach lowering springs on. Wouldn't work out to be that much more expensive than a set of those Raceland coilovers.

This is the bit that I can't understand. Surely the point in spending money on an older but highly regarded performance car should be to actually get the performance it was highly regarded for i.e. the original setup. Otherwise, you just have a Clio bodyshell with some random suspension on it.
If there is a need for going lower to get rid of the arch gap, get model-specific lowering springs such as Eibachs and then enjoy the car as it was meant to be.

Abarth 500 Esseesse
But a lot of people want to go just that bit lower than a set of Eibachs can take them...

Because they are cheap and go low and most people probably don't understand the difference between those and expensive kits imo.

Last edited:
  Mk3 dci
I've been looking at them purely because owning a 1.2 means i have to got for looks over performance, as owning any car with more than 10bhp and i will be bent over by insurance :) also, as said coilovers give more lowz

is1

Integra Type R DC2
OK, but why do you want to go so low? I genuinely don't get it.
I always thought it was to get rid of the arch gap which I understand and could be done without affecting the dynamics of the vehicle.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Price. No other consideration is given. The cup packed option ones are particularly bad as they give you less camber than standard.

Mk3 dci
Personally, i think it looks better than standard monster truck height.. a decent set of wheels and a good stance make some clios look really nice.. especially the lower range non sports that cant get enough speed to need decent handling.. dont get me wrong, i think a proper set with proper set up is better for 1*2's ect as they will be able to push the car aroung the corners

R53 Cooper S
Couldn't agree with you more mate, had them on the five when i bought it and they went straight in the bin, also fitted a set to a mates ph2 172 and they are unbelievably w**k.

It's the children on here that are more obsessed with the 'l0wz Yo' rather than how it handles. Just another downside of how cheap these cars have become i suppose.

I would hate to be in the market for a 1*2 right now with the amount of ruined ones knocking about.:dapprove:

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Price vs lowzzzzz I reckon. They came on a Clio I bought and got taken off very quickly, fine for cruising about but I like to actually drive. Laughed when I saw atrophy owner had put them on, missing the point by miles!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Price. People don't want to save up for expenisve and better coilovers, so cheap wins.

DB.

BMW 440i
Tbf, for someone with a £2-3k clio, spending just short of a grand on coil overs is ridiculous as a % of the value of the car!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I have seen a recent influx of these coilovers on here recently. Why are people so keen to fit them to their ClioSports? The Clio's got absolutely glowing reviews with regards to it's handling from pretty much every motoring magazine/show worth reading/watching. In my opinion, fitting these cheap and nasty coilovers you are actually downgrading your suspension setup. I had a set of them on my old MX5 and saying they were terrible is an understatement. They are cheap for a reason you know. Raceland aren't exactly a quality brand. They (used to) mass produce universal products and taylor them to fit specific cars. I'd be willing to be no R+D has gone into the coilovers specifically for the Clio.

Who has them fitted? What are your thoughts on them?

+1000000000000000000000

H&R, Billies and now KW is what i've used.

Did have a set of Gaz on my old cup, proper nasty, they lasted a month untill I got hold of some H&R's. The difference is night and day

Evo 5 RS
You get what you pay for! Then again half the people in here probably haven't run raceland so they wouldn't know.. Unless they have? chuckle..B14s FTW :)

Tbf, for someone with a £2-3k clio, spending just short of a grand on coil overs is ridiculous as a % of the value of the car!

This is my exact reason. I have just fitted them. I am yet to track the car although I intend to in the future. If they aren't up to it then I may upgrade but for the time being I do not want to spend half the value on the car on suspension...

If I was to do that in all honesty I would rather spend the money on a better standard car like an elise or a VX...

also if I don't get on with them then the sportlines can go back on... If I do, sell the sportlines and coilovers only cost me circa £100... Win win

They aren't that f**king bad. Ride is dreadful but they handle perfectly well on road. And like Dave63 said, spending almost how much your car is worth on new suspension is much more 'retarded' than fitting cheap coilies.

I'd rather have mega arch gap over s**t handling coilies.

That's fair enough. Each to their own. Although until you are spending upwards of £600 your not getting anything that is "sheepishly" described as a good handling coilovers, so the racelands serve the purpose of bridging the gap between springs and coilovers.

Equally, for any road coilover, how often do people truly exploit the full handling potential? For me, I love a spirited B road blast, but I rack up on average 200-250 miles a week and 90% of those are spent on the M25/M4 corridor and commuting in town for work. If however you spend 90% of the time on country lanes and the other 10% on track then I understand why you might be adverse to them...

172/1.2/E30
They aren't that f**king bad. Ride is dreadful but they handle perfectly well on road. And like Dave63 said, spending almost how much your car is worth on new suspension is much more 'retarded' than fitting cheap coilies.

If you can't afford proper mods, keep it standard.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I've been lolling at this for a while.

Facepalmland coilovers.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Price. People don't want to save up for expenisve and better coilovers, so cheap wins.

Exactly this. People buying them are fully aware they're cheap/s**te. Don't get why people give a f**k tbh.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Exactly this. People buying them are fully aware they're cheap/s**te. Don't get why people give a f**k tbh.

Because your deemed inferior if you havent spent £500+ on coilovers regardless wether your clio is ever going to see a track day!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Because your deemed inferior if you havent spent £500+ on coilovers regardless wether your clio is ever going to see a track day!

but my ASTs handle awesome when I'm parked up outside krispy kremes/going to the shops... :(

Besides, aren't post count & the Evo rating of the car you drive the key determinants of importance/social standing here? :)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
i'd get a set, purely for cheap. i currently have crap 100k standard shocks and god awful apex springs, the ride is shocking. but i dont want to spend cash on a cheap runabout 172, so i wont, i'd rather spend a few quid to get it through its mot with little hassle (try assembling standard shocks and springs, ball ache compared to drop apart coilovers) and cheaper than o/e then trundle about all year on them

if i want decent stuff i'd buy it for the proper clio, my mk 1 ;-)

BG 182
I've host purchased a set, dont plan on fitting them till the new year. But, I wanted to go lower on 15s of which eibachs don't go low enough and apexs ride just as bad as coilovers. Being me I chose a cup packed 182 without the plan to get coilovers, but now I've changed my mind, and below the £800 mark, there are very few that will fit, gaz, which a renowned for leaking, and v-maxxs which seem fairly similar to racelands except they offer more camber, at twice the price.

Don't get me wrong, I dont expect miracles but as long as they last a year or two and allow my car to sit as I want then I'm not fussed. If they're totally rubbish, il give them to a kid! They're cheap enough to give them a go, and if someone like FK produced a set for around £500 or any premium company with just a lower end reliable set for a Clio, I'd buy them instead.

I don't expect