ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 tidy and improve - with some of my other projects

200 Cup, 435d, 2xMX5
Enjoying having a bit of light after work in the evening to tinker, will be even better when the clocks go back. :smiley:

Latest small jobs, the first very small one was taken from Shuv's thread that I was reading through.

IMG_2894.JPG

More prevention than cure on mine I think as I've never noticed a problem with it sagging.

The other job is one I've been looking forward to getting done and has made a really nice difference.

Before:
IMG_2890.JPG

IMG_2891.JPG

During:
IMG_2892.JPG

IMG_2896.JPG

After:
IMG_2898.JPG

IMG_2897.JPG

Ready for my trimmed wheel from Mr. Snappy now, I'm promised it will be done before the end of the month.
Can't wait!! :grin:

200 Cup, 435d, 2xMX5
Couple of quick lunchtime jobs...

New torque arm insert to replace the incorrectly fitted or rather partially fitted effort by the previous owner.

Before:
img_2061-jpg.17795

After:
img_2976-jpg.17794

Much better! No wonder the manifold flexi went... :rage:

Then I replaced the rain seal on the driver's side:

img_2977-jpg.17796

I then applied a little shin etsu (Honda stuff) grease to the new seal and did the other rubbers whilst I was at it.

I checked the passenger side before I ordered the seal and thought it looked ok. Upon applying grease it's apparent that it's about to come apart any time so I guess I'll be ordering another! 😂

Still, getting through the list of small jobs and slowly getting the car back to its former glory.

It's going for a rejuvenating spa day at Birchdown Autos tomorrow so I can't wait to drive it once it been thoroughly refreshed! :blush:

Boot packed up with all the lovely new bits:
img_2978-jpg.17797

The to do list reads:
Exhaust manifold
Lower engine and gearbox mount inserts
Engine and gearbox oil
Brake fluid change
New pads and discs
R-clip Brembo pins

Very excited to have it working properly!

And lastly, not Clio related but I thought it was nice snap for my very humble phone shots. One of the shared MX5 just off the Cat and Fiddle last evening:

enlight12-jpg.17798

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
That powerflex before photo is shocking!! How can they have managed to f@ck it up - they're dead simple to do.

Car is in safe hands at Birchdown - top bunch of lads.

200 Cup, 435d, 2xMX5
Today was the big day for the little Clio...

First impressions on the drive home are super positive!! :grin:

Much bigger difference than I had anticipated, I had been a little worried that I was looking forward to it a bit too much and there wouldn't be any real difference.

The main job was the exhaust manifold swap and the outcome is just as I had been promised. There's no noticeable difference in noise level, no increased flatspot and very happily no knocking on the subframe!

The mounts didn't immediately make themselves known, there's just slightly more 'hum' through the steering wheel but to me it's perfectly acceptable for an oem driver's car.

Edit: I think there's more vibration at low idle, maybe about 8-900rpm. Only noticed that a bit later.

Once you start driving though the mounts reveal themselves as a superb addition with the car feeling much more reactive and cohesive without any increased harshness. For £80 or so they have made a lovely difference.

The gearshift has benefitted doubly with less movement in the engine/box and some fresh oil. Much more precise feeling and smoother too!

Unexpectedly the engine also feels smoother, I changed the oil right after I bought it, so perhaps that has acted as a bit of a flush? Not really sure, it's the same oil but smoother now...

Finally the biggest difference; I had been complaining that the brakes didn't feel as they should, now they most definitely do!! The CL pads, fresh discs and ATE fluid have improved things massively, the brakes are now sharp and powerful. Honestly it feels like the brakes are too big for it! 😂

I'm actually struggling to heel and toe with normal shoes on now, it seems I must apply slightly more pressure as I blip. Such is the sharpness of the brakes now the braking becomes uneven! I've never experienced this before so a great opportunity to improve my technique.

I'm quite tempted to pop my track shoes on and have another go! :smile:

Whilst the car was up on the lift I asked the chaps to have a look at the exhaust as I thought it was louder than it should be. Andy tells me the centre box has been removed which explains it and also means it should be a relatively cheap fix to make it quieter and more useable.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the results, top marks to the chaps at Birchdown, though only an A- as they left some grubby marks on my nice clean seatbelts!!

Sorry for the wall of text, I've only got crappy pictures but they're better than nothing!...

Filthy by the time I got home:

Enlight16.jpg

Had to take a pic of the sexy goldy colour that will soon be gone:

Enlight15.jpg

And I couldn't leave it dirty like that when it felt so good to drive at last:
Enlight14.jpg

200 Cup, 435d, 2xMX5
I was delighted to get a text from Mr. Snappy saying my steering wheel was done today, so I popped around right away and picked it up.

Enlight21.jpg

Enlight22.jpg

I got straight to fitting it, using the how to as a guide. I expected the airbag to be a bit of a struggle and it took a bit of persistence but not a problem. Cruise control buttons needed switching over too but was a fairly simple job.

I'm really chuffed with the results, the interior, and perhaps the whole car is just about where I want it now with a couple of exceptions.

IMG_3038.JPG

Enlight19.jpg

IMG_3033.JPG

IMG_3036.JPG

Have driven just a little and together with the seats it really makes it feel special!

200 Cup, 435d, 2xMX5
A little late with the update as I was hopeful of having the track pictures but they've not landed yet...

Blyton Park // 08.04.2017

I booked an afternoon at Blyton with Mazda on Track to test the water with the Clio. The MoT days are well run and tend to have better than average driving etiquette.

One downside of the MoT days is that they tend to run the day in two halves, one on the Eastern Circuit and the other on the Outer Circuit. Happily in this instance they ran the Outer in the afternoon so I was able to have a later start than a typical trackday. I can't stand the Eastern Circuit, too much tight messing about at the start of the lap and then 'Curva Grande' that they sell as being a challenge to the car... the reality is just that the tarmac has sunk so it's bumpy and horrible!

The Outer Circuit on the other hand is very good for a flat, airfield type circuit, with a great variety of corners and an ideal proving ground for a new car or setup.

The plans to make the car useable on track had come together quite nicely, with all the 'must haves' covered, giving me confidence that it should be properly equipped for a reliable day's running.

The weather was absolutely splendid, sat at about 20* and bone dry. To be honest, it was warm enough that I was grateful that I wasn't in the sweaty, hot, noisebox that is the MX2000!! It wasn't hot enough to warrant AC though, precious couple of horsepower are better used going fast!

So, my first ever trackday in a front wheel drive car, let alone my first in this car. And right from the go in the afternoon session I left the pits following a well-prepared 197, best be on my A game!! I was quickly reminded to switch off the TC/stability by a bit of electronic interference on the way out of the first corner. Button duly pushed on the straight and the little car was simply terrific! :grin:

image.jpeg

I expected it to be good for a road car but was amazed at just how easy it was to drive, by the end of the first lap I had the confidence to drive it hard. Without trying too hard I was able to hang on to the back of the track 197 and it was interesting to see a couple of areas where it (or the driver) was noticeably faster. In the sweeping exit from the first complex it would hook up a bit better and out of the slow chicane it was much better. I would be interested in finding out what has been done to the car beyond the well advertised Bilstein suspension and weight loss.

So a terrific first session following the 197 around and it just got better as the day went on. The CL brakes were mighty and I didn't have the problem with heel and toe that I had feared. The AD08r tyres did exactly what was expected of them, feeling like a 'quarter slick' in terms of outright grip and not giving up all day despite the abuse they suffered.
That fact that I don't have much to say about the suspension is a glowing endorsement, the sacrifice in road comfort delivering the promised dynamic reward and I wasn't left craving coilovers.
Coolant temp was rock solid at a little below the halfway point and it didn't use a drop of oil all day!

The seats were great for recliners, a little core strength was required in places and I would definitely benefit from fixed buckets and harnesses, but the ease of use of the normal seats and belts more than offset that on this car.

Although it's a fairly small car, it's not particularly light (I should think mine is >1250kg) and it doesn't trick you into thinking it is either. But equally it doesn't feel heavy and cumbersome on track and the quick rack makes it feel willing and eager, even if it doesn't dart around like a flyweight.

The chassis is very capable and grown up, dare I say even a little too grown up?... I tried playing around with tyre pressures to provoke a little more mobility at the rear but perhaps I wasn't aggressive enough with the changes.

I must have left my external gps switched on having been checking the accuracy of the speedo en route to the track, it seems I inadvertently logged a session on Harry's... 2up it did a 1:16.6 which is a little quicker than expected and more importantly, a few tenths quicker than a friend's similarly modified 350z at the same track! I reckon that's good going from the little Terrier!

So the first track outing, albeit just an afternoon was a huge success and hugely enjoyable! I have paid for a bundle of five trackdays with my insurance company so I'm going to have to use them all up! :blush:

image.jpeg

The following day I gave the car a check over, swapped the wheels front to rear, swapped the CLs for some OEM Pagids for road use and put the compact subwoofer back in.

Will loves a pose! 😂

image.jpeg

The pads have barely worn which is good though I would have been very disappointed to find anything else having opted for the RC6s.
Interestingly, despite the warnings I've heard about the CLs being hugely dusty, there was barely any at all. Less than the Renault OEM pads at the back! I've also had very little squeal too, as longs as they don't go through discs too quickly with road use I don't see any reason that they couldn't be used all the time instead of swapping.

Very little dust:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Pad wear:
image.jpeg

Labelled up for next time:

image.jpeg

The tyres are mostly ok, however there is a band of heavier wear on the inside centre quarter of the outside front. Given that this was just an afternoon I'm a bit worried that I might get through these tyres a bit quick!

I will likely get a spare pair of wheels and fit some slightly more track orientated rubber for the front. I know a few chaps who run either narrower or less extreme tyres at the rear on FWD track/race cars without oversteer problems, and two of them are CRXs which are much more pointy than the 200.

If anyone has a spare pair of 200 wheels or can point me in the direction of someone selling it would be appreciated!

Sorry the first half was a text fest! Track pics to come and then a vid once I've edited it.

Last edited:
Progressing very well. Done some similar mods to mine over the past year or so.... bit of a money pit haha!

Can I ask where you got your recarros refurbished, and how much it cost? They look amazing!

200 Cup, 435d, 2xMX5
Clio is playing support car this weekend as we're at Cadwell in the slow MX5. When you've only got 87bhp you need all the help you can get...

Enlight30.jpg

Fit like a glove, and the parcel shelf went down! You wouldn't get those in a GT3!! 😂