ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why didnt the trophy come with xenons?

Lee

BMW M2C
The Trophy is based on the 182 Cup, as that didn't have Xenons the Trophy doesn't.

It doesn't make any difference to me. Xenons look nice, and project a nice white light, but they don't actually light up any more of the road. The standard cheapo lights do more than a good enough job.

Mondeo STTDCI
I dont believe Zenons are that much heavier than standard lights. its money saving. If I had a trophy I'd consider retro-fit.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Lee said:
The Trophy is based on the 182 Cup, as that didn't have Xenons the Trophy doesn't.

It doesn't make any difference to me. Xenons look nice, and project a nice white light, but they don't actually light up any more of the road. The standard cheapo lights do more than a good enough job.

agreed

they produce a crisper white light, but fail to light up the road enough.

The standard units matched with some decent bulbs do a better job of this.

Has said:
agreed

they produce a crisper white light, but fail to light up the road enough.

The standard units matched with some decent bulbs do a better job of this.

Ok if this is correct, what is the point of Xenons?

Da

Less
it's a discharge light, far more efficient than the standard halogens and consume less power once ignited. But as for the point...? erm...dunno! lol!

Da

Less
XENON HID lamps do not have a filament. Instead the light is created by an electrical discharge between two electrodes in an air tight tiny quartz capsule filled with xenon gas, mercury and metal halide salts. This improves durability as road vibrations can cause damage to coil lighting technologies. These light sources also produce a blue-white light that is safer because it is closer to natural daylight. The colour temperature is approximately 4200 K compared to 3200 K for halogen. The increased light output from a 35 watt XENON HID lamp is approximately 80% more light then a 55 watt halogen bulb. The XENON HID system will also draw less power from your vehicles electrical system.

Daz_2427 said:
it's a discharge light, far more efficient than the standard halogens and consume less power once ignited. But as for the point...? erm...dunno! lol!

Cheers Daz.... I didn't know they consumed less power. I thought Xenons lit the road better than standard lights...

Hence my question if they don't whats the point in Renault fitting them:S

Da

Less
The 4200K and 3200k values above relate to the 'temperature kelvin' of the actual light. 4200K is equivalent to approximately 3900 degrees C and 3200K is 2900 degrees C. It therefore "burns brighter", which produces that distinct colour of xenons and gives a far more intense illumination at a fraction of the power consumption.

A point to note with regards to the Trophy, if Renault fitted Xenons as standard to the Trophy they would also by law have to fit the auto-levellers and headlamp washers. Which when you add it all up equates more £££'s and more weight.

:cool:

Last edited:
Daz_2427 said:
XENON HID lamps do not have a filament. Instead the light is created by an electrical discharge between two electrodes in an air tight tiny quartz capsule filled with xenon gas, mercury and metal halide salts. This improves durability as road vibrations can cause damage to coil lighting technologies. These light sources also produce a blue-white light that is safer because it is closer to natural daylight. The colour temperature is approximately 4200 K compared to 3200 K for halogen. The increased light output from a 35 watt XENON HID lamp is approximately 80% more light then a 55 watt halogen bulb. The XENON HID system will also draw less power from your vehicles electrical system.

You know your stuff lol. Although it saves weight i doubt you would really notice it when driving, would you??

Da

Less
lol, as i stated above add the levellers and the washers plus all the associated wiring and controls it could well make a difference to weight. Btw ballasts for the Xenons are fair heavy pieces of equipment for their size.

The xenons seem to light up a fair amount more on full beam than normal lights do on full beam? But who drives around on full beam other than 90 year olds and blonde women?

Yaris Hybrid
I have found no benefits from using xenons. As said the road isn't lit up any better as far as I can tell but you are always at risk of getting knocked out by people who think you are deliberately high beam to dazzle them.

Da

Less
Spammy said:
The xenons seem to light up a fair amount more on full beam than normal lights do on full beam? But who drives around on full beam other than 90 year olds and blonde women?

lol, xenons don't even do the full beam mate, they're standard halogen filament lamps. Xenons are only dipped headlights.

Da

Less
because the dirt on the headlamp will cause the light discharge beam to 'scatter' potentially dazzling oncoming drivers.

Daz_2427 said:
lol, xenons don't even do the full beam mate, they're standard halogen filament lamps. Xenons are only dipped headlights.

Haha, ah well, my dads xenons (182) seem brighter when on full beam, xenons with fullbeam bulbs then! Compared to my standard lights when on full beam.

:eek:

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
Yeah I must admit I would never go back to "normal" lights. I love it when you turn them on and you get that really good blueish light lol :).
I paid xtra for xenons on my 1.6 16v Clio last year & don't regret paying xtra.

dave182 said:
i love the way they ping on

Yeah i saw this today on a silver 172 and it wasn't even dark, broad daylight. I think Id rather have xenons just knowing youve got that extra blue/white light in front of you, also when im on the motorway the xenon lights really stand out from the 'normal' lights, suppose its safer in a way.

Lee

BMW M2C
It's not just the Xenons that come on automatically, they do that on a lot of the other Clio models too.

Xenons certainly don't light the road up as far in the distance as the standard units.

But as you say, they do draw attention to the car more, whether that's a good or a bad thing though.

Da

Less
headlights will be changing to LED's in a couple of years. IIRC the new golf has recently been displayed with prototype LED headlights in a car magazine.

i converted my standard h4 pug106 lights to a HID conversion kit and swore i'd never go back to standard halogen bulbs

allthough the HID conversion on my 106 is definately alot brighter than my 182 xenons.

Audi TT 225 Quattro
ive just fitted a hid kit to the valver and cant stress how better thay r than std lights, looks soooo good aswell

jay - they'll be alot brighter than the 182 xenons

as theyre behind the normal light lense, not behind a projector.

Audi TT 225 Quattro
a bit off topic sorry but ive got angel eyes which have a projector but thay r still f**king bright. did u go for the x5 kit??

Ford Fiesta
xenons are much better than standard bulbs. They last years and years. (life of car I heard usually) the spread of light is superb even and white/blue and they self adjust. The beam also goes further imo.
or they do on ones that have been set up right from the factory anyway