ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why carry a jack and tools?

renaultsport clio182
Hi all just a quick question about weight saving?
On a 182 there is no spare wheel as the exhaust goes through there! There's no room for a space saver in car so
my point is why carry excess weight of the jack and tools ? If you have a puncture why remove the wheel if there's no spare ? It's bonkers. If you use the tyre weld you could push the car forward so the valve is at the bottom! I changed the standard 182 wheels ( s**te they are heavy) to superlageras and recon I must have saved 5kl per wheel so now that's got me thinking about the jack and tools!, thoughts?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Because the correct process for using the tyre weld is getting the punctured wheel off the ground before you inflate it.

320d
To be honest if I get a puncture in my 182 I'll just phone the AA. Buying a car with no spare wheel is a bit of an error really.

Chocolate Orange 172
I know this might sound impossible (sarcasm lowest form of whit) but just don't get a puncture lol

itb'd RB 182 cup
i have a ph1 which had a spare wheel and tools i removed it all and filled said well with mini trolley jack, socket set, few cans of tyre weld, spare bulbs, 5ltr oil and 2ltr bottle of water. the way i see it all that weighs about the same as a spare and tools but covers me for more problems.

320d
I know this might sound impossible (sarcasm lowest form of whit) but just don't get a puncture lol

How are you supposed to control that really. Punctures happen. You can try to avoid them, who wouldn't, but eventually at some point you will get a puncture.

Clio 182 Cup
I carry the jack and tools in my 182 along with a tourque wrench to undo the wheel bolts. Thought I have still not worked out where the tyre foam cans are supposed to live in the boot. A picture would be nice (hint). If you are worried about the extra weight then don't fill the car up with petrol just go to 3/4 of a tank

Clio 182 FF
I've got the locking wheel-nut set and the jack in my boot, but yeah thinking about it I might as well remove them as I don't carry a spare wheel! Unfortunately the can of tyre weld fell off of its velcro whilst cornering hard and exploded in a foamy mess, so I'm stuffed.
If I get a puncture I'll just ring the AA and get them to flatbed me home (I've got spare wheels and tyres) or take me to a tyre fitters.

The only other boot contents is a free corporate umbrella from work. I keep meaning to stick a set of bolt croppers in though as the wheel clampers at Uni are ****s :mad:.

markerboy2002

East Of England - Norfolk
ClioSport Area Rep
  Liquid Yellow 182
I'll keep the jack and tools in my boot, I also have 2 cans of foam, bloody useful stuff! (not had to use it yet, cross fingers)

PB Clio 172
I carry no tools and I don't have a spare in my 172.

if I get a flat I will ring the RAC

hence why I pay my membership right !

Roadside assistance FTW really. I'm not gonna risk breaking a nail when I can use a service I pay for.

I don't have a spare wheel or a jack (I removed them to lower the centre of gravity). I have tyre foam and a 12v compressor, so if those don't work then I'll be on the blower. JD.

GTiR 394bhp

Some roadside assistance policies state that if your car came with a spare, it must be in there.Just put my spare back in for that reason.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I'm getting a brand new Clio and made them throw the spare wheel in for free because as a mechanic I wouldn't wanna wait on the side of the road if I had a blowout or a puncture that tyre weld couldn't fix. Be on my way within 10minutes. Only time I'd call a breakdown service is if I was in a dangerous position. And for the person that said they took their locking wheel nut set out how are you planning on getting the breakdown service to change the wheel?

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
I changed the standard 182 wheels ( s**te they are heavy) to superlageras and recon I must have saved 5kl per wheel so now that's got me thinking about the jack and tools!, thoughts?

Aren't sure if SRS question... Surely not?

RB FF 200 CUP
When i traded in my GT for the 200 i told the dealer i would be taking the jack to put into the bootwell (empty) space which was designed for a jack to fit!!
He insisted i didn't need a jack - i still can't get my head round a tyre repair aerosol inflating a tyre with the weight of the car!
I read you need a jack to 'take the weight' of the car to assist inflation of the tyre
So jack lives in the boot along with an adjusable wheel brace + two aerosols
Hope i never get to use them!

182 T
I carry a set of bin liners round so I can use one as an airjack, I can also melt them to fix any holes in the tyres, 40bin liners are less than half a kilo!....

Surely better to carry round 5-10kilos of tyre kit for road driving than to be sat on the hard shoulder for an hour so a bloke can come and fix your flat?! Especially for long journeys/away from home.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
My wife's abarth 500 has no spare wheel, jack or wheel brace. Instead a compressor thing with some gunk in a canister. Oh there's an AA card as well.

renaultsport clio182
Think I'm gonna conceide defeat on this one! Also as the wheel stud patern is 4x 100 think I will nick the space saver out of the mx5 for long journeys !!wow didn't expect such a vast response ! Ace

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Won't fit. Centre bore on the Clio is 60.1(iirc) and the Mazda is 54.1(iirc).

Passat
Sorry for the bump. I'm doing a very long journey in my 182 in the next couple of weeks. I obviously don't have a spare wheel. What would the AA do if you ring them about a puncture? Repair it? What if its irreparable? How far will the weld get you? Am I best just slinging a spare in the boot?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Sorry for the bump. I'm doing a very long journey in my 182 in the next couple of weeks. I obviously don't have a spare wheel. What would the AA do if you ring them about a puncture? Repair it? What if its irreparable? How far will the weld get you? Am I best just slinging a spare in the boot?

If the car left the factory without a spare (as the 182s did!) they've no issue normally and they'd run you to a tyre place - they don't have wheel balancing kits and every other kind of tool in existence in the back of a yellow SWB Transit lol !

Unless you're travelling to the other end of Europe, put a fresh can of tyre-foam in the boot and don't even think about it.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6

You know that if a car is capable of carrying a spare, and you don't actually have one in the car, they can refuse to attend?

Check your policys

PB Clio 172
You know that if a car is capable of carrying a spare, and you don't actually have one in the car, they can refuse to attend?

Check your policys

sent this a year ago but hey......

they have changed wheels for me countless amount of times with no issues!

Renault jacks are the most useless things ever though especially with the rubber jacking points! My Ph1 collapsed on me!

Not that it matters to me really, my 182 didn't come with the jack/toolkit.

Out of interest where do they live? In a pouch in the boot like the tyreweld does? Might have to see if i can find some for sale.