ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why are there so many peopel on Cs hate Mobil 1 0w40 Oil ?

Why is there so many people on CS with a bad opinion on Mobil 1 0w40 oil ?

I have read on here you can use these in a 172.

0w40
5w40
10w40
and
15w40 at a push...

So why all the bad press ?
:(

Milltek'd clio 182
i really dont know fella, im after some oil for my car, but have no idea now on what to purchase as everyone has something to say about some oils, i did nearly purchase mobil 1 0w40 but i ended up buying a clay kit lol. Would be good to find out what everyone uses in there motor.

350z GT
And you didn't find anything?

Really?

Look at the bottom of this thread for example, the answers are in 2 of those...

There was no justification or proper proof that Mobil 1 is bad.
It seems to be all hear say with no facts :(

350z GT
True...

I'd listen to the traders personally if they reply, as im sure they've tried them all or know the technical reasons if its bad for the engine etc :)

Clio 197
its not the recommended oil for a standard 172 5w is, or 10w at a push, not sure why you would want to put it in against Renault advice !

Clio 197
its not the recommended oil for a standard 172 5w is, or 10w at a push, not sure why you would want to put it in against Renault advice !

Surely there f**k in in 5w40 and 0w40 as the first number all comes down to how low a temperature the oil can work at the 40 is the important number aint it ?

RS 182 CUP
its how thin it is, the 'w' means winter. so its '0' thin when warm and '40' thick when cold. i run castrol 0w30 edge stuff in mine, says in castrols catalogue its fine for my engine. i am changing to 5w40 though because im not sure what the long term effects are (if any)

Lionel Richie
^wrong

0 is the viscosity of the oil at 0degC, a 0 is thinner (ie better) than a 5 as it will flow better when cold

40 is the viscosity of the oil at 100degC, so a 0W40, 10W40 and a 15W40 ARE ALL THE SAME VISCOSITY WHEN HOT

0W30 is TOO thin for your engine rob, get it changed

0W40 Mobil 1 is one of the best

CBR1K, F21 125D
Best of all worlds, I have always used it on hondas and such like.

Cold protection and hot...

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
^wrong

0 is the viscosity of the oil at 0degC, a 0 is thinner (ie better) than a 5 as it will flow better when cold

40 is the viscosity of the oil at 100degC, so a 0W40, 10W40 and a 15W40 ARE ALL THE SAME VISCOSITY WHEN HOT

0W30 is TOO thin for your engine rob, get it changed

0W40 Mobil 1 is one of the best

What is thee best then Fred?

Lionel Richie
0W40 or 5W40 fully syn - anything decent, Shell, Motul, Elf, Comma, Mobil, yada yada

10W40 semi if you're cheap

dedicated track cars i suggest 5W50/10W50

RS 182 CUP
i was told it was thin, had it 5000 miles now so goin to change it next couple of weeks. so 0w40 is better for my motor than the recommended 5w40?? do you rate castrol? how about oil additives?

Lionel Richie
slick 50 etc - all s**t

castrol and renault engines don't really get on to well from my experience, the tappets seem louder with castrol

oil also depends on climate, if you lived in northern sweden then 0W30 would be recommended, if you lived in the middle of africa then 5W50 (or higher) would be suggested

basically any number (0, 5, 10, 15) W40 (or a higher number) is fine

a thirsty one
and costco do 5 litre bottles of mobil 1 0w-40 i been getting mine from them for ages, its about £26 or £27 i think for 5 litres

Laguna sport tourer
20 litres unipart fully synthetic £39 IIRC
easily does 4 oil changes so less than £10 to change oil and our vacuum pumps at work use the same oil filter :rasp:

1998 BMW e46 323i
Last time my 172 was serviced by Renault (my mate works there) it came home with a 1 litre mobil 1 top up. I've always used mobil 1. It's great stuff. Still use it now on 120k.

172 Cup
I'm using Mobil 1 0w40 and there's not problems with it at, car does a fairly decent mileage every week(350) and gets driven hard most of the time. It's never missed a beat.