ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why are my photos so dark?

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
I have a Canon 1100D and the photos always seem to come out quite dark.
A day like today, suns not out but obviously it's light out but when I view the photos on the computer, they're much darker than they should be.

Any ideas?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Just dark? Not blurry?

As TEG says, put some examples on here.

My bet is you've knocked the dial and you are underexposing. Or possibly on manual and shooting way too high shutter speed/aperture.

What settings are showing on the camera now? Where's is the dial on the left?

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
I leave it in auto mode, AF, take the lens cover off.
IMG_1537.JPG

It's just a lot darker than it actually is outside.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Just dark? Not blurry?

As TEG says, put some examples on here.

My bet is you've knocked the dial and you are underexposing. Or possibly on manual and shooting way too high shutter speed/aperture.

What settings are showing on the camera now? Where's is the dial on the left?
Setting is Auto. Dial is on the right.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Auto isn't very good as it usually brings the flash on even when it's not needed. That can cause underexposed pics.

Try P mode if it has it. It's a bit like auto so you don't have to worry about setting your shutter speed.

Clio 182 Trophy
Looks like the bright bonnet is right in the middle too, so it's probably adjusting to that and making the rest dark. Just guessing.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
That pic looks absolutely fine to me. It's a black car ffs.

Use Av mode, leave everything else on auto.

Look at the bottom of the window and make sure the exposure needle is in the middle - if not, mode the dial to a f/number more suitable. You'll work it out.

Job jobbed.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Is it because the dog is black?

It's really worth learning the relationship between iso, aperture and shutter speed to get out of auto, that way you get a lot more control and dictate the picture to what you want it to look like.

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
If you have photoshop, I would personally ALWAYS shoot in RAW format. Gives you so much more control of the photo when editing etc. If you've not got it, you can pay monthly £8 I think and it's really worthwhile having, transforms so many pictures and saves ones that otherwise would be junk.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
If you have photoshop, I would personally ALWAYS shoot in RAW format. Gives you so much more control of the photo when editing etc. If you've not got it, you can pay monthly £8 I think and it's really worthwhile having, transforms so many pictures and saves ones that otherwise would be junk.

It's just over £8 i think for Lightroom and Photoshop.
2 minutes in Lightroom would solve any of these issues and will make any cataloguing of images a piece of piss.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I shall look into it then. Thank you for the heads up.

Strangely it was the same price per month as it was added up over 12 months for a years worth. I would have thought it would have been discounted, kind of like car tax.