ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Who's got a chipped PS2?

172 Cup
Trying to help a mate..

Basically how much? Where from? And can you do it yourself?

im sure you can get plug in mods now but i am unsure. i used to chip them when they first came out with the neo 2 chips but they was an arse to fit.

Clio 172mk2
depends on the sch number found on the back of the ps2 , also is it the new style ps two

buying the chips in uk is no illegal , fitting the chip is illegal

last i heard chips were 30-50 quid , fitting used to be 70 inc chip, now yer looking at between 70-100 .

cheepest and easiest way if its a old style ps2, get a hd for around 30 quid, network adapter 20 quid a, and a boot disc for 15-25, then put the games on hd

500bhp Scoob
just by a flip cover for the ps2, get the swap magic cd's aswell.

Change the original ps2 cover for the flip cover, then you can play copies.

just google swap magic for more info :)

Monaco 172 2/468
I've had swap magic, which is very good, but can be a bit of a pain.

Just ordered HD advance which should be mint, all games loading off a HD, no more loading screens :D

Clio 172mk2
l!ckeldev!l_2k1 said:
think you'll find it isnt illegal .... http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/10/06/legal_ps2_mod_chips/

The only thing thats illegal is the copied game bit ..

"six Australia High Court judges unanimously ruled that it is not illegal to install a mod chip"

i said in the uk it is illegal

"The UK High Court has judged that the sale, advertisement, possession for commercial purposes and use of PlayStation 2 modification chips is illegal in this country.

Under the UK's implementation of the European Union Copyright Directive (EUCD), Europe's answer to the controversial US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, it is illegal to bypass copy protection mechanisms. On that basis Mr Justice Laddie ruled that David Ball had acted unlawfully by selling 1500 Messiah 2 mod chips which enabled such circumvention.

The Messiah chips were offered as a way to allow UK PS2s not only to play legitimate US and Japanese games, but pirated titles and back-up copies made by users, which Sony forbids in the UK.

The UK enacted the EUCD in October 2003. The Directive has similarly been enacted in a number of other EU member states, allowing Sony to pursue mod chip sellers. Recently, it won just such a case in Belgium.

That said, there have been setbacks. Earlier this year, the Italian court ruled that mod chips are legal on the basis that it's up to the user, not Sony, how they use their PS2. It even went so far as to name mod chips as crucial tools to "avoid monopolistic positions".

And in Spain, it emerged that a loophole in Spanish copyright law legalises mod chips even though they run contrary to the spirit of the country's intellectual property legislation. ®"

for some reason its only the uk where the ruling applies , which just aint fair