ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Who uses poly windows on there road legal track car ?

Clio 220 PH2
Hi all,

I am looking to put poly windows in my track car and was just wondering what slider kits everyone uses ? I have narrow it down to the square slider or the 4 hole slider. I have a few questions:
Which one allows best air flow in ?
Best for security ?
Can they be opened from outside the car ?
Do you have pictures of your cars with the sliders fitted to get an idea.

Thanks everyone
Ben

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I have and if I had another I wouldn't do it again. I say again but the car came with them. Me personally would just have standard Windows. Oh and I also wouldn't remove the heating If that was another consideration?. Pic below is a quick one i found mate. The tape is holding the window up due to it popping out doing speed at Oulton lol

CLIO%20010_zpsjhrmfxfo.jpg

Clio 220 PH2
I have and if I had another I wouldn't do it again. I say again but the car came with them. Me personally would just have standard Windows. Oh and I also wouldn't remove the heating If that was another consideration?. Pic below is a quick one i found mate. The tape is holding the window up due to it popping out doing speed at Oulton lol

CLIO%20010_zpsjhrmfxfo.jpg
Looks smart with the 4 holes what's it like for getting air into the car would it keep you cool on a warmish day ?
Haha the joys of track days :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Nope imo, was an arse tbh. I'm sure others say they are great but it was like a green house in the summer. They look good but for me that's where the story ends. Oh and for security I reckon my cat who never goes outside would be able to break in.

Clio 220 PH2
Nope imo, was an arse tbh. I'm sure others say they are great but it was like a green house in the summer. They look good but for me that's where the story ends. Oh and for security I reckon my cat who never goes outside would be able to break in.
Well this is one of my worries I don't want to die from over heating but my other problem is I have fibre glass doors and I have no way of mounts window mechs in them. I have bought a roof scoop to try and get some more air in the car as well but that only works when moving.
Haha the thing I like about the 4 holes is the fact you won't be able to get your hand through if you were to open the window, would you agree with that statement because I haven't seen these windows in the flesh the holes might be bigger than they look

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah you can't get your hand in. I'd be concerned if you could and was old enough to drive lol.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Only issue for me is that you can spit/throw things in there, but it's not really an issue depending on where you have to leave the car...

Clio 220 PH2
Yeah you can't get your hand in. I'd be concerned if you could and was old enough to drive lol.
And that is very true I would be worried as well
I guess the only down side is you can not go in car parks with ticket machines because your hand doesn't fit through the the window haha

Clio 220 PH2
Only issue for me is that you can spit/throw things in there, but it's not really an issue depending on where you have to leave the car...
Yeah this is true I mean my car won't be used as a daily I am more worried when I take it out and have to stop over somewhere and a chancer comes along and try's their luck

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I run polycarbs on my cup and I can confirm its like a greenhouse. I have no sliders just a pointless pop it vent. It truly is not worth a w**k! All it manages to do is give you tinnitus.

If you fit polycarbs a roof vent is a must as far as I'm concerned. Cools the cockpit down a good amount. As long as the cars moving of course!

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
For my clio rally car I'm going to do plastic rear windows but leave the fronts glass, it's just a nightmare having plastic on the front, cause if you make the whole window slide up and down it gets scratched, and a slider isn't big enough to hand a timesheet out of, so your codriver has to open the door... Also, there is the potential issue that in a crash, glass tends to pop and give you room to escape, whereas plastic tends not to shatter, and the glasshammer/harness cutter won't break it either.

Clio 220 PH2
I run polycarbs on my cup and I can confirm its like a greenhouse. I have no sliders just a pointless pop it vent. It truly is not worth a w**k! All it manages to do is give you tinnitus.

If you fit polycarbs a roof vent is a must as far as I'm concerned. Cools the cockpit down a good amount. As long as the cars moving of course!
I think I might use the car to grow tomatoes rather than track days haha. Would you say it's so hot because glass has a slight tint which helps cool the cabin where from what I have read poly like you say acts like a green house ? Would the slightly tinted poly Windows you can get as an option help ?
I have just bought a roof scoop it arrived last week :)

Clio 220 PH2
For my clio rally car I'm going to do plastic rear windows but leave the fronts glass, it's just a nightmare having plastic on the front, cause if you make the whole window slide up and down it gets scratched, and a slider isn't big enough to hand a timesheet out of, so your codriver has to open the door... Also, there is the potential issue that in a crash, glass tends to pop and give you room to escape, whereas plastic tends not to shatter, and the glasshammer/harness cutter won't break it either.
Well that was a worry if it were to flip how do you get out. There I thought smashing through the front window in a worst case. I don't fancy getting trapped in the car

I have them on mine. I also have this air scoop on them. So get plenty of air into the car, it properly sucks it in.

But the main reason I have these is for security. It means no one can open the slider or put their hands in.

I'll probably be selling my whole front window kit soon.

IMG_9216_zpscm62hl8d.jpg

Why bother? The weight saving is miniscule unless you've done EVERYTHING else, they get scratched in no time, make using carparks/drivethroughs etc a complete pain, leak, are noisy, unless you have aircon you'll soon miss being able to wind them down (which is why most race cars have them combined with a roof vent).

For me there are FAR too many disadvantages to them to even consider it for a <10kg saving.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
I love mine but if my car was still on the road I probably wouldn't get them. I always got water leaking in when it rained which was annoying and as others say there not secure.

Mines is off the road and garaged now so not an issue.

If I was using the car on the road then I definitely wouldn't have them. Would make maneuvering around a right pain in the arse, even getting onto the trailer can be difficult!

But I've removed everything from inside the door now, including all the wiring loom. That combined with the high up weight of glass isn't a bad weight saving and also slightly lowers the centre of gravity.

Mine don't leak either and are held very securely in place with the normal glass bolt :wink: Plus I get more than enough air in with the scoops, too much if anything.

Clio 220 PH2
I have them on mine. I also have this air scoop on them. So get plenty of air into the car, it properly sucks it in.

But the main reason I have these is for security. It means no one can open the slider or put their hands in.

I'll probably be selling my whole front window kit soon.

IMG_9216_zpscm62hl8d.jpg
Are these lockable ones ?
Where did you buy them from mate ?

Clio 220 PH2
If I was using the car on the road then I definitely wouldn't have them. Would make maneuvering around a right pain in the arse, even getting onto the trailer can be difficult!

But I've removed everything from inside the door now, including all the wiring loom. That combined with the high up weight of glass isn't a bad weight saving and also slightly lowers the centre of gravity.

Mine don't leak either and are held very securely in place with the normal glass bolt :wink: Plus I get more than enough air in with the scoops, too much if anything.
What slider kit do you run on your front windows ?
Have you glued the front windows in round the seems ?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I think I might use the car to grow tomatoes rather than track days haha. Would you say it's so hot because glass has a slight tint which helps cool the cabin where from what I have read poly like you say acts like a green house ? Would the slightly tinted poly Windows you can get as an option help ?
I have just bought a roof scoop it arrived last week :smile:
Mine are tinted so they look almost identical to the oe glass. It makes no difference!

I use polycarbs in my non garaged road legal racecar (soon to be)

The polycarbs are bolted in, they leak through the sliders but it's runs down the door and out through the holes at the bottom of the door, the roof scoop leaks alot more...

The sliders are square ones, easily opened with clammy fingers, but the car has no central locking soooo...

In terms of visability the windows are pretty new, doesn't have the special coating overall visability is fine, I've got winged seats but use a longacre rear view mirror to get around the blind spot issue...

hope this helps

Clio 220 PH2
Well mine isn't helped by the fact that the hot air from under the bonnet is directed straight into the outside air inlet for the heater. I have no skin under my bonnet so it's not sealed up at the bulkhead.
I see your problem I can imagine it gets pretty toasty in there

Clio 220 PH2
I use polycarbs in my non garaged road legal racecar (soon to be)

The polycarbs are bolted in, they leak through the sliders but it's runs down the door and out through the holes at the bottom of the door, the roof scoop leaks alot more...

The sliders are square ones, easily opened with clammy fingers, but the car has no central locking soooo...

In terms of visability the windows are pretty new, doesn't have the special coating overall visability is fine, I've got winged seats but use a longacre rear view mirror to get around the blind spot issue...

hope this helps
Did you use any silicone when you fitted the roof scoop. I know there's a massive hole for the rain to get it but could the seal better car and scoop cause the leak ?
Have you got the longacre mirror that clips over the standard mirror or is it a stand alone until ?

Did you use any silicone when you fitted the roof scoop. I know there's a massive hole for the rain to get it but could the seal better car and scoop cause the leak ?
Have you got the longacre mirror that clips over the standard mirror or is it a stand alone until ?
Nothings siliconed as of yet, I will be taking it off shortly and putting some under the outer edge, as that will help massively.

And I just bought the mirror alone, as it's like £25 for the fitting kit, then made up my own brackets etc, but tbh next time I'd just pay for the alloy fitting kits and bolt it to the roll cage, as mine vibrates quite a bit..

Clio 220 PH2
And I just bought the mirror alone, as it's like £25 for the fitting kit, then made up my own brackets etc, but tbh next time I'd just pay for the alloy fitting kits and bolt it to the roll cage, as mine vibrates quite a bit..
That's pretty good I am looking into them because my mirror is still stuck on the old screen and I don't fancy pulling it off so was going to replace it with a wider one. Is it a demon tweeks one ?