ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

who uses 172/182 on track?

impreza sti prodrive
as above realy. i miss my 182 & contemplating buying another but cant realy aford another 182 so may go for a 172 ph2. what have you done to use on road & track? how do you find them on track as i no there supposed to be realy good. basicaly my next car will be used on track & road as ive always wanted to do it.

advice & info will be much appreciated

ps: im not one of these members that think a 172/182 is the fastest car in the world.

cheers nic

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
me and bazzon use a Ph1 172 on track.

2971325823_e80364ec71_b.jpg

get a ph1 rather than a ph2. Cable throttle is so much better and with the prices of ph1's currently there is only one choice.

Ours is great on the track, keeps up fine with most and on the corners its nimble. Only thing we found was that there was plenty of bodyroll which upset of balance of the car. We have since upgraded to coilovers but yet to test them.

impreza sti prodrive
that is a verynice looking 172 that. the only reason i was thinking of ph2 is its abit newer for everyday use aswell as track. you do many track days or wer do you go as i see your not that far from me? + im trying to convice a freind of mine to get 1 aswell.

cheers nic

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
that is a verynice looking 172 that. the only reason i was thinking of ph2 is its abit newer for everyday use aswell as track. you do many track days or wer do you go as i see your not that far from me? + im trying to convice a freind of mine to get 1 aswell.

cheers nic

ph1 is the only way to go. We have done 2 since summer, both being at croft. Was supposed to do mallory in nov but that got cancelled. Its currently parked in our garage as were doing some work to it but once its out (hopefully next week) you can have a look at it if you want :)

impreza sti prodrive
cool. croft is were i was wanting to go as i must admit it will be my 1st track day car. is your 172 kept road legal or is it purley track use? what work have you done to improve as what id be thinking to my future is just coilovers & decent tyres tbh

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Engine
Cat Cams
Matched Inlets
SS exhaust
Decat
Custom Remap (RStuning)
Battery in the boot so induction kit relocated behind headlight.

Brakes + suspension + wheels
AST Fully adjustable coilovers
Solid strut tops
Ferodo DS2500 pads
Brembo HC discs
Braided lines
Magnesium Speedline Corse
Yokohama parada spec 2's

Other
Racing blue body
Polycarb windows (3mm thick)
Cup spec alternator i.e removed aircon.
Rear Cage
Fully stripped (proven 920kg)
Battery in boot
Kill switch + isolator
Aluminium Doorcards
Aluminium Footrest
Cup spoiler
Tow eyes
PH2 Rear bumper + lights
Recondition Gearbox + strengthen bearings
Uprated Clutch
Corbeau Bucket seats
Sabelt 3 point harness
RenaultSport Sabelt Cup Racer steering wheel

as bazzon said, its fully road legal

M2 Competition
Lol at Ph1 is better. 172 cup is where its at if you're after best compromise between road car and track car.

Ive on 04 172 cup in silver thats for sale for the right price... pm me if interested mate.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Lol at Ph1 is better. 172 cup is where its at if you're after best compromise between road car and track car.

Ive on 04 172 cup in silver thats for sale for the right price... pm me if interested mate.

cable throttle, its the future ;)

FBW, pisch!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Blah. Cups barely lighter (despite losing air con and abs), for the same cash you could get a ph1, coilovers, remap, much better for track. Cups still look the nicest, mondial is lovely.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Blah. Cups barely lighter (despite losing air con and abs), for the same cash you could get a ph1, coilovers, remap, much better for track. Cups still look the nicest, mondial is lovely.

talks sense :)

M2 Competition
As said, i dont see the fascination with cable throttle. On the ph1's ive driven it feels slack. FBW system used on the later 172's/ 182's works fine.

Aye warren, and have an older car with the problems that will bring.

I can see this turning into a cup vs ph1 fanboys thread.

Drive both and see which you like...

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Have taken my Cup out at brands Hatch, was quite happy buzzing round passing bigger cars, it was standard at the time and TBH was far better on track that some of the dedicated bits and bobs that were going round.

Peperami you selling up already?

M2 Competition
Have taken my Cup out at brands Hatch, was quite happy buzzing round passing bigger cars, it was standard at the time and TBH was far better on track that some of the dedicated bits and bobs that were going round.

Peperami you selling up already?

Toying with the idea mate. Needs must and all.

Zetec s or similar next, something cheap to run and fun if needs be.

impreza sti prodrive
cheers for the comments & recomendations guys but less of the bikkering plz as i only wanted some help with my choice & advice.

cheers nic

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Toying with the idea mate. Needs must and all.

Zetec s or similar next, something cheap to run and fun if needs be.

Shame but know what your saying, Someone will get a Tidy Motor judging by the photos if you sell.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
As said, i dont see the fascination with cable throttle. On the ph1's ive driven it feels slack. FBW system used on the later 172's/ 182's works fine.

Aye warren, and have an older car with the problems that will bring.

I can see this turning into a cup vs ph1 fanboys thread.

Drive both and see which you like...
Maybe, thats just down to luck at the end of the day. Drove a ph2/ph1 back to back the other, I prefer the cable throttle by a distance, but my cables only a few weeks old.
Cup's actually the only RS I haven't owned, or driven. I'd say if you're keeping it standard, the cup would be better. If changing suspension etc, the ph1 would be better. Either way get 15's, tyres are much cheaper.

impreza sti prodrive
There seems to be a lot of support for the ph1 hear. In simple which ever i get will be used as a ROAD & TRACK car. i want the best of both. I dont know how many track days ill be planning on next year but it will be more than 1 & at more than 1 track. i used to own a 182ff to have as a base. The only mods the next cs will be getting is coilovers & trackday tyres.

cheers nic

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
if you can put up with the Ph1 dated interior, get a ph1. If not get a ph2 cup :)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
There seems to be a lot of support for the ph1 hear. In simple which ever i get will be used as a ROAD & TRACK car. i want the best of both. I dont know how many track days ill be planning on next year but it will be more than 1 & at more than 1 track. i used to own a 182ff to have as a base. The only mods the next cs will be getting is coilovers & trackday tyres.

cheers nic
In that case, if your changing the suspension, the cup's only benefit is in being a newer car. IIRC the ph1 is only 15kg heavier, but keeps air-con and abs. Most of the bits that need replacing (engine mounts, exhaust, etc) will be close to replacement on both. Just make sure the belts have been done on whichever you buy.

impreza sti prodrive
simple then i like the ph1 seats ads abit colour did they have the coloured lines on seats?

sorry im not sure on suspension yet.

cheers nic

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
also gotta think about that freezing cold gear knob in the winter in the ph1 lol