ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Who can build me a forged engine....

R26-Rs
Looking at companies/people that can forge my megane.

Engine nee dynamics will do it for 2.3k what do other companies charge? So rebuild top and bottom end with forged pistons and rods.

R26-Rs
Yea he is. Just wondering if people knew prices for recent work. I'm on 70k with original belts so going to absorb that cost into forging the engine.

Lionel Richie
Exactly, sharky has been looked after! It's had a bit more than just an engine build, the only original part is the crank, but Martin wouldn't know that!

340i
I priced one up the other day with Supertech valves, and it came to around the £3k mark.

This pretty much.

I've built an engine for my r26 with supertech pistons, PEC rods, supertech valves and all Renault gaskets, shells, bearings seals, belts etc.

With all the machine work, balancing, cleaning and paint it's nigh on a 3k engine.. that's doing the job properly and replacing pretty much everything.

18months? Not quite, by the way it's none of your business how long takes

Not far off though. No its none of my business but pretty impressed tbf.

Yeh MartinR you big Bollock

Thanks Dave

Exactly, sharky has been looked after! It's had a bit more than just an engine build, the only original part is the crank, but Martin wouldn't know that!

Couldn't care less what it has or has not had Fred im just pointing out to the OP the timescale this has had. Look forward to seeing the finished result.

:)

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep

Thanks Dave

Couldn't care less what it has or has not had Fred im just pointing out to the OP the timescale this has had. Look forward to seeing the finished result.

Sorry can't help but turn the BIG wooden spoon lol

Listerine & Poledo
Cant help with engines, but I can forge you some £50 notes if you like?

Just post me over 3 or 4 examples of the notes, and I'll send you back, like, hundreds of them.

totes legit

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Forged pistons and rods and a head gasket and belt kit are about a grand.

So if you just want to write "forged internals" on a spec sheet then you could do it for a grand.

If you want to build one of these engines properly though, I'd budget roughly ten times that including labour.

Almost none of the builds you see done on these engines include proper blue printing techniques like line boring the cylinder head to get exactly the correct tolerances on the cam journals, and same for the crank journals for that matter, rods can be had for a few hundred but spend several times that and you get better ones etc.

It really is a question of how much you have to spend, as you could easily get over the 10K mark without actually wasting any money.

Hell even a new set of standard lifters is best part of half a grand for example, thats long before you consider uprated bits.

Do you want it built to a particular price, or to a particular level of quality, because the too are VERY different beasts!

Lionel Richie

and i built BIGASH's race winning engine in an afternoon.............

if you're going to make comment please present a balanced argument in future ;)

Lionel Richie
Forged pistons and rods and a head gasket and belt kit are about a grand.

So if you just want to write "forged internals" on a spec sheet then you could do it for a grand.

If you want to build one of these engines properly though, I'd budget roughly ten times that including labour.

Almost none of the builds you see done on these engines include proper blue printing techniques like line boring the cylinder head to get exactly the correct tolerances on the cam journals, and same for the crank journals for that matter, rods can be had for a few hundred but spend several times that and you get better ones etc.

It really is a question of how much you have to spend, as you could easily get over the 10K mark without actually wasting any money.

Hell even a new set of standard lifters is best part of half a grand for example, thats long before you consider uprated bits.

Do you want it built to a particular price, or to a particular level of quality, because the too are VERY different beasts!

pretty much what he said

a "forged engine" can be done with cheap bits from China, won't be as good as a proper forged engine

*insert manufacture* rods are about £100 each
Arrows are £250 each

put them side by side and feel the weight of them/see the quality differences you'd go for the Arrows (assuming money wasn't an issue, but in my experience buy cheap buy twice!!)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Thanks Dave

A year is nothing especially unusual in terms of timescales on an engine build and install etc, especially when you start getting into the realms of finding that components are scrap and you have to source replacements etc, not to mention if the spec creeps during that time, and if its just a background task for Fred to be tinkering on when he gets some spare time, and he is busy, then he isnt going to drop everything to be rushing around looking for a replacement block etc, its just a case of finding one when you find one, I know of loads of people who have waited far longer than that for engine builds, you obviously just dont know many people into modified cars if you think there is anything unusual about that IMHO as it really isnt the huge deal you seem to be making out!

By contrast James Ashton turn up at Freds at lunchtime with a collection of bits, including stuff like a block he'd sourced from me that I had already checked over for etc and asked Fred to quickly assemble it all for him, and he did so that afternoon and then it went straight out and won its next race, but I dont see you continually posting how totally awesome Fred is that when someone desperately needs some bits put together as quickly as possible he will drop everything and do it?

You just come across as on some weird mission to **** Fred off when he has done nothing that I can see which is wrong?

A year is nothing especially unusual in terms of timescales on an engine build and install etc, especially when you start getting into the realms of finding that components are scrap and you have to source replacements etc, not to mention if the spec creeps during that time, and if its just a background task for Fred to be tinkering on when he gets some spare time, and he is busy, then he isnt going to drop everything to be rushing around looking for a replacement block etc, its just a case of finding one when you find one, I know of loads of people who have waited far longer than that for engine builds, you obviously just dont know many people into modified cars if you think there is anything unusual about that IMHO as it really isnt the huge deal you seem to be making out!

By contrast James Ashton turn up at Freds at lunchtime with a collection of bits, including stuff like a block he'd sourced from me that I had already checked over for etc and asked Fred to quickly assemble it all for him, and he did so that afternoon and then it went straight out and won its next race, but I dont see you continually posting how totally awesome Fred is that when someone desperately needs some bits put together as quickly as possible he will drop everything and do it?

You just come across as on some weird mission to **** Fred off when he has done nothing that I can see which is wrong?

Flol

Oh dear ,Chip save your paragraphs for someone who can be arsed to read them!! I sure as hell can't :)

Ive mentioned a timescale of which a named person has taken to build an engine thats all! Seems like the usual tarts are out in force to protect them though.

Can't have an opinion on here unless you kiss arse of a select few lol

Yawn.. Have you all finished? :rasp:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Flol

Oh dear ,Chip save your paragraphs for someone who can be arsed to read them!! I sure as hell can't :)

Ive mentioned a timescale of which a named person has taken to build an engine thats all! Seems like the usual tarts are out in force to protect them though.

Can't have an opinion on here unless you kiss arse of a select few lol

Yawn.. Have you all finished? :rasp:

I just fail to see how you think its useful to the OP or anyone else reading the thread that one particular person does different types of engine builds, some that take longer than others.

There is no arse kiss involved, Ive got not reason to want to try and promote or help Fred and im sure he doesnt need it either judging by how busy he is, Im just trying to help you understand the basic reality of how things OFTEN work in the world of modified engines, the thing that you think is unusual and worth continually banging on about, is just business as usual for lots of people with modified cars.

You think its news and exciting for some reason, but no one else does that an engine build is taking a while, but in reality its just one of thousands of examples of current modified cars in the middle of a long engine build in the UK.

Another ex-trader on here recently built two forged race engines for forum members and both of them have eaten their spark plugs instantly due to some fundamental flaw in either how he built them or how he mapped them, surely thats more interesting for example than just someone taking a long time to do a job to a standard they want to do on a timescale where they can enjoy doing it?

I have never used/met Fred tbh so have no reason to stick up for him but this isn't the first time you've (@MartinR) put him down. What's the real reason to why you try you put him down so much on the forum? Seems like a decent bloke to me.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol at this thread how it's become Fred and Co v Martin pmsl

Its not uncommon for a thread on CS to become one person talking absolute nonsense and then lots of others posting to shoot them down, so it really shouldnt surprise you as much as it seems to.
The next progression is then often others talking about the thread and how they think its progressing and talking about the people posting rather than the actual subject, so likewise your post and this reply shouldnt surprise people either. ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Where does everyone seem to get the idea that i try to put him down lol.

Because you keep posting again and again about an engine build he is doing taking a while as if you think thats important information that others need to know about him?

Chip are you smoking crack?? I must have either forgot posting endless times the same thing over and over. Or you are seeing things ??

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Damn i forgot about that one. Top job on policing my posts though :)

Im a journalist not a policeman, so if I have done anything its "report" rather than "police".

Any more?

No idea, as I said that was just the first one I came to.

Have you told everyone else in that thread who have commented on the time scale?

No because others mentioning it in that thread were posting on topic for that thread (as were you while it stayed in that thread), rather than dragging it into unrelated threads just to be controversial or to attempt to harm fred's reputation or be hiliarious or whatever your motivation is for bringing it up in here.

Im a journalist not a policeman, so if I have done anything its "report" rather than "police".

No idea, as I said that was just the first one I came to.

No because others mentioning it in that thread were posting on topic for that thread (as were you while it stayed in that thread), rather than dragging it into unrelated threads just to be controversial or to attempt to harm fred's reputation or be hiliarious or whatever your motivation is for bringing it up in here.

Chip im not out to ruin anyones reputation ffs. Come to think of it you are a fine one to talk mate you run k-tec and 519automotive down consistantly.

Why are you on a mission to ruin their reputations?

If there are valid issues with a garage then surely it's in everyone's interest for those problems to be made public?

330i. E30 Touring.
If there are valid issues with a garage then surely it's in everyone's interest for those problems to be made public?

Quite agree.

Would also put forward that it's not the problems that occur, because everyone makes mistakes, it's how they're rectified.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chip im not out to ruin anyones reputation ffs. Come to think of it you are a fine one to talk mate you run k-tec and 519automotive down consistantly.

Why are you on a mission to ruin their reputations?

I'd always encourage anyone to stay away from companies that I dont think are going to give them what they paid for (either through dishonesty or incompetence or bad customer service) and hence the customer is going to end up dissapointed.

I think thats actually a vital part of us helping each other to enjoy their cars (main reason I use forums is to help people, unlike others im not here looking to expand my social circle, although I must confess its been a welcome side effect). But I didnt see you doing that TBH, so to me I dont think they are comparable the way you seem to mate.

Fun?? Fun with what? Any need?

Can't get my head round how just mentioning something turns the thread like this.

Just like a k-tec thread

Blah blah blah ! You can talk you're the first c**t to post s**t on a thread ! I just love reading it !