ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whistly whining noise from under the bonnet between 1-2k rpm, any ideas????

ph quick
Ive got a whilstling noise if i accelerate between idle and about 2k rpm, then it seems to go away... I had the loud whine a while back and changed the aux belt plus tensioner/idler to cure the prob, now i have this higher pitched noise coming from around the same area????

Megane 2 GT 165
Intrested in this aswell!

I have the same sypthomes, but I have read it has something to do with the thight-ness of the belt. Haven't tried fixing it sofar.

PH1 172 Sport
Did you ever get a solution too this as ive just changed my belt and have exactly the same symtoms now?? Thanks

Blk/Gold 182 FF
ive got exactly the same noise! real high pitched wine wen you accellerate, one of my mates thought it sounded like a turbo spoolin up :S lol i wish! i hope its an easy fix!

PH1 172 Sport
I only get it up to 2k then it goes but its only started happening since i changed my belt

172 MKII FF
Anybody got a video/sound clip of what it sounds like? I have a slight noise on mine when I start the car and would be interested to see if it sounds the same.

PH1 172 Sport
Its basically ok at idle then between 1-2k it sounds like someone is whistling under the bonnet over 2k it goes then on the way back down the rev range it starts up again at 2k and stops at 1k.

Turning the air con on makes no difference. Could it be an air leak on the charcoal canister?

It's really annoying. It wasn't there before a aux belt and pully change and it seems such a common problem i would have thought someone on here would have some idea for a solution!!

PH1 172 Sport
where are the bearings located ive had a quick look but dont want to go sparying oil all over the aux belt? Thanks

1.2 16V MKII
i must be havin this same problem, must be common coz, wen i take off say in 2nd gear but the car is goin quite slow then it starts to just catch i hear a tingle an was beginnin 2 worry me an wen i revved up at times i had a guy go 2 me is that turbo'd, lol, i was like no why.. n he said coz u can hear a bearin noise, which got me worried, so where is the bearings exactly, bitta lub might do the trick.??

CLIO Iceberg 172
There behind the pully just as they go into the alternator, there isnt much room to spray but usenig the WD40 staw you shold be able to get in there.

CLIO Iceberg 172
I'll give it a go later but it doesn't sound like its coming from the alternator

sound is a funny thing it can reverb of anything, so it can sound like its coming from places you wouldnt expect, i had a grinding/vibration noise once that i thought was coming from the gearbox on my metro GTi but one day while listening i put my hand on the HT coil and the noise stoped!! just like that, turned out to be a loose bracket on the body work,

whistles and squeeks are the same as this they will ping of anywhere, im 90% sure its coming from your alternator as i have had this on a couple of cars and wd40 has cured it everytime,
it just seems to be the way alternators are built

PH1 172 Sport
Ive tried oil on the alternator it made no difference maybe I havn't got it in the right place but seeing so many people have the same fault with no problems I think ill just leave it!!!

black gold 182
they nearly all do this apparently - my 182 does it too. it does sound like a turbo so im not at all bothered by it lol.