ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whirling noise while driving straight or right.

Clio RS182
Hi. Ive had my 182 for a few months now but its never quite been perfect.
When im driving straight , the faster I go the louder it gets..., or turning right there is a loudish humming noise. the car seems unstable driving round a right hand bend too. Round a left bend the noise goes and also is stable.
My steering wheel isnt smack bang in the.middle its to one side.
Ive checked tyre pressure and had the tracking done.
Has anyone had this problem or has any advice?
Thanks in advance

Fiesta ST-3
How come you have had the tracking done but the steering wheel isn't straight?

Wheel bearing maybe? Is the noise specific to any part of the car?

Clio RS182
The car was pulling to one side so had the tracking done to see if it would help, it hasnt done anything.
It sounds as though its coming from the front left wheel kind of area
Rolling with the engine off at anything from 30mph the car has a deep humm noise that could be mistaken for a low revving engine thst gets louder when turning right. The car is still pulling to one side too.
Does the noise sound like bearings?
Cheers

182 Trophy
I have this exact same problem at the moment. Replaced the shafts with new items and still the same. car makes noise straight and more or turning right, handling is all over the place. Anyone else any ideas?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
wheel bearing. could be the front or the rear, probably on the left side though as extra load is put on that side when turning right.

Clio RS182
Had the front bearings done as there was play in the front wheel, I still have the problem but its only half as loud. still pulls to the right, when accelerating? Ive checked the repaired wheer and rear passenger side however not the drivers sides yet. On another note....the previous owner obviously didnt have fully comp insurance and bodged a cheap windscreen replacement, without the rain sensor, will this make the serv light come on? Ive not had the light off yet in 4 months of owning the car

182 Trophy
just replaced the front passenger hub and bearing and like a go kart again no noise. Thanks for the advice folks. weird how this hasn't fixed the op's problem?

Clio RS182
Should there be play in the front wheels side to side not up and down? both front wheels have a little play left to right i can see the shock going left/right too. I believe its solved the noise on the front end, it sounds as though its coming from the rear however theres no play in either rear wheel?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
there should be no play in either direction, however I expect your seeing track movement, not bearing movement. Look at the track rod end and see if its moving as well, you need to discount any movement seen form the overall movement. There doesn't have to be any play in the bearings for it to be worn/noisy. Best thing to do is remove the rear wheel & pads, then spin the disk, it will be gritty if its worn, smooth if its fine.

Clio 200 Silverstone
That sounds like a driveshaft, that happened to me, but it was 24/7 sounded like a stone in the break when i was driving at any speeds. and the car pulled the the left. but as soon as i got the shaft fixed no noise or pull.