ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whining / whistling noise when turning the wheel (PAS?)

Clio 182 Trophy
Hi guys, I bought a 172 on the weekend.

I get a whining / whistling noise when i'm turning the steering wheel, both when moving around town and stood still. If the wheel is dead still it doesn't not make any noise.

Obviously I guess this is PAS related issue, is it likely to be the PAS pump or AUX belt tensioner... or something else?

The service book does not state that the AUX belt has been replaced, but the cam belt deffo has been changed.

Any ideas?

Clio 182 Trophy
OK, its not the PAS I don't think.

When the ignition is off I still hear the high pitched squeak when I move the steering wheel side to side a little bit. The noise sounds like it's coming from down by the wheels. A bush/joint maybe?

When investigating this problem i noticed my top mounts rotate as the steering wheel is turned....?! I've never noticed this before on any of my cars. So this may be a stupid question but are they supposed to do this? Not sure if these problems are linked?

Go to 0:18 for what i'm talking about (you can't hear the high pitched squeak I mentioned this video BTW)

Are my top mounts screwed?

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 182 Trophy
I think it's bush / joint / mount related now tbh as it does it with the ignition off (should of checked that to start with!)

"Navy" N17 TWO
I'm getting this too, car was fine 2 days ago all but the alignment being slightly off.
Had to lift mum tonight as some w*nker danced on her windscreen and it makes an awful noise when turning either way like a whine/groan.
Got out and check PAS fluid bottle - its empty! :S