ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which would you choose Nikon D40 / D70?

koi

Audi S1
Going to buy my 1st digital SLR and narrowed it down to the Nikon D40 and D70. Only ever had a point and shoot camera before but fancy getting a SLR now after seeing how crisp the pictures are. Will be sticking to the kit lens for now and will prob aim to buy extras once I get used to all the features and learn how to used it properly.

D40 comes with 2 years warranty, would there be any problems with the D70 due to the age? Similar price for a used D70 and a new D40 so which would you choose?

I have a D40X and rate it highly. I tried various Cannon, Pentax and Sony in my price range but settled on the D40X because of how it felt and ease of use.

Negative side is the D40 / D40X does not have a motor in its body so requires lenses which have motors in them to autofocus. Not a major problem but something to consider.

koi

Audi S1
Leaning towards the D70s cause the lens will be cheaper and it has more features. Just tying to find a comparison of the 2 so I can see if there is any difference in picture quality, the D40 is a couple of generations newer so I would imagine they would have made some improvements.

911 carrera 2, Yamaha R6
I've just upgraded my D40 and found it to be a great camera. Can get some greats pics!
Mine's for sale soon if you want :)

M135i
i bought a D40, been over the moon with mine! have you considered a D50 also? bought on off of ebay the other day, and after a few test pics, ive been happy with it also.

koi

Audi S1
Well after all that ended up buying a refurbed Canon 350D lol

Just need to get a memory card and maybe a spare battery now

Cupra
POTN is a good resource for all things Canon too.

You can probably hold off on a spare battery. You can get a good 600 shots on one charge normally. Depends on what you are shooting of course.

m-tec bmw 325 ci spo
i personally dont like nikon been using the d70 for a while its to complicated to use and the lcd screen is way to small. id go for a cannon mate much easyer to use and bigger screen thats what ill be loooking at getting sooon

i personally dont like nikon been using the d70 for a while its to complicated to use and the lcd screen is way to small. id go for a cannon mate much easyer to use and bigger screen thats what ill be loooking at getting sooon

LCD on D40 is same size as 400D and is probably one of the easiest screens to use! Has 2 display modes... one inc graphics showing you what the lens is doing and the other is all in figures.

"Navy" N17 TWO
The one thing I don't like about the D40 is that you can't view what you are taking on the LCD before you take the shot - I was used to it on the old Fuji camera I had

Fiat Panda 100hp
The one thing I don't like about the D40 is that you can't view what you are taking on the LCD before you take the shot - I was used to it on the old Fuji camera I had

Not many DSLR have that feature, it uses different techy stuff than the point and shoots.