ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which One...172/182/Cup

Ive gotta problem....

Im 20 soon and ive currently got a lower powered MK3 Clio Extreme. Although ive really enjoyed the car... i cant stand the bloody thing anymore as previous car was a GT Turbo(which i wrote off). So Ive gotta few options.

1) Trade in my Clio for a 182 and get 18% off under friends and family as my uncle works for renault.

2) Sell my clio privately have enough left over too pay for my insurance and buy an 182/172/cup from fresh (although this could be a lengthley process).

And then the decision of what to buy???

i can only get 18% off, if its a new car... so the 182 would have to be the choice. The two pipes at the back i think make it stand out just that little bit more and distinguish it form the 1.2s. Also the extra colour options??

I kno a cup is more focused but im going to be using it everyday.. although now they have stopped making them i feel it has made them more desirable(especially silver ones). so im unsure about this 1?? Is not having ABS a problem? I also think that the cups stand out more form the 172s because of the colour and wheels.

And then the 172??? it has everything i want but to me it looks to similar to a normal 1.2?? especially the black 1s. The Iceberg and Red ones are the nicest but are they getting to common??? especially the make over 04 model clio they just look like little 172s... and i dont want ppl to think ive just bought another car exactley the same...

U guys gotta help me on this 1... i kno uve probably answered these questions b4 but your help would really be appreciated so i can get things rollin and stop fannyin around on which 1 to get??

Cheers

Alex

Ziel Nurburgring

I own a 172, with all the goodies. Why? Well for 1/2 a second ive got loads of gadgets and a spare wheel. You would have to ask someone about handling differences, but its down to you whether you want toys over perfomance.

If its going to take time to arrange and you have a car now, wait for a 182 and change the set up with the suspension options. Best of both worlds and 18% discount....

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Get a cup they are better than anyother clio ever built. and faster and blueer :confused:

172, Tiguan

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 19 January 2004

Get a cup they are better than anyother clio ever built.

Banged your head again Tom?

Get the 182, better than sliced bread aparently.

Clio v6

You already have some opinions.

Which colour is the best.

The 182 is distinguished.

The Cup is more focused?

You dont see having no ABS a problem.

Colour, style, or a real drivers car? I hope you decide well.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Jean Ragnotti on 19 January 2004
Dont worry about ABS.

Famous last words.. muahah

Yeah but my clio is black now.... And nearly looks the same as a 172 to a untrained eye...

Ive just been readin about the 182 ...black gold??? Any ideas on wot its gona look like? And i heard some where about the the clio gettin the RS megane orange.... think that would be the decider for me..

Although the Cup in silver??? Ive found one in Norwich where my uncle works only delivery miles...?? Wots ppls views on these??

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 19 January 2004

Dont worry about ABS.

Famous last words.. muahah
Did a trackday in my Cup on Saturday, it was p!ssing it down with rain, loads of standing water and by the end of the day the tyres were getting quite worn, buthad no probs stopping without ABS, even from around 100mph...

Thanks for the info about the ABS.....

but has there been any problems the Cup has which the 172 doesnt?? For some reason the Cup always seems like its been thrown together?? the 172/182 seems to be more solid??

Is this true?

And the interior is it really that bad? having never seen an interior of a Cup? I kno the 172 looks gorgeous, is it that different?

Alex

CUP has non leather seats. Its just as comfortable.

I doubt the build is any more different as they are made at the same place.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by evy84uk on 19 January 2004

Thanks for the info about the ABS.....

but has there been any problems the Cup has which the 172 doesnt?? For some reason the Cup always seems like its been thrown together?? the 172/182 seems to be more solid??

Is this true?

And the interior is it really that bad? having never seen an interior of a Cup? I kno the 172 looks gorgeous, is it that different?
Both Cups & 172s are literally just thrown together and neither one is built better than the other!

Cup seats are basically the same, but covered in grey cloth rather than leather & alcantara...

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 19 January 2004Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 19 January 2004
 Dont worry about ABS.
Famous last words.. muahahDid a trackday in my Cup on Saturday, it was p!ssing it down with rain, loads of standing water and by the end of the day the tyres were getting quite worn, buthad no probs stopping without ABS, even from around 100mph... 

For people that do a lot of trackdays im sure its fine, but you dont get cars/people/animals jumping out from juntions etc on the track.

Add to the fact that when your on a track you are concentrating 100% on driving.. when your on the road there is distractions, pot holed roads, speed cameras, traffic lights.. the aforementioned things jumping out, people driving on the roads arent giving 100% to driving.. people sorta go in a trance when they are driving.

Get a cup they are better than anyother clio ever built. and faster and blueer :confused:
hmmmm, maybe in the 21st century (if you know what i mean)

*cough* Williams *cough*,

And i think yowl find (in a Birmingham accent) sports blue fow fow nine is cooooniserablaaay richer blue than yows

;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Rich, far from it.. I wish people would realise that more than they do, its an aid that removed one thing you have to worry about during emergency braking.. nothing else.

evy84uk, if all the cars youve drivin before dont have ABS then your not going to miss anything, if they do then just get used to the fact you dont have it and that you need to moderate your braking in bad driving conditions.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by king.stromba on 19 January 2004

hmmmm, maybe in the 21st century (if you know what i mean)

*cough* Williams *cough*,

And i think yowl find (in a Birmingham accent) sports blue fow fow nine is cooooniserablaaay richer blue than yows

;)

Everybody knows badger loves mash potato.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 19 January 2004

Rich, far from it.. I wish people would realise that more than they do, its an aid that removed one thing you have to worry about during emergency braking.. nothing else.
Perhaps we should educate the people... ;)

Hey Jon r Cheers for them pics...

definatley changes my mind about the cups....

Although silver is comman it aint on cups,and still every1 knos its a 172 wether they kno its a cup or not, u kno u have something special.... Good choice..sure changed my mind.

The silver tho is it Iceberg or something else?

Alex

172, Tiguan

Yes sorry its Iceberg - i have more pics, pm me if you want, ill be back at 9 tomorrow. ;)

Test drive them all and go for the one that leaves you feeling.....yeah thats the one!!

182s should be available to test drive at end of Jan? so you could wait till then.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Cant wait to get my hands on a 182 and see how it compares to all the other ClioSports Ive driven...

erm am I guessing right that the 182 is the new VVT type thingy thats being advertised? if so they is looking well sexy...but how long before everyone has one?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by SexyRT on 19 January 2004

erm am I guessing right that the 182 is the new VVT type thingy thats being advertised? if so they is looking well sexy...but how long before everyone has one?
The 172 (& Cup) are also VVT engines...

Quote: Yes the 172/182 is superior, but id say the Cup interior is functional, lolIve not had any problems with the lack of ABS.Follow these links for pics of Silver Cup:http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=13&TopicID=62042&PagePosition=6http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=13&TopicID=62042&PagePosition=6http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=13&TopicID=65041&PagePosition=1http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=13&TopicID=65041&PagePosition=1

just had a look at the silver 172 with the non cup wheels, its a ph2 but has different whhels to my 172 ( only slightly) are there differences between the ph2s are has his got aftermarket reno wheels????