ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which new car to get? new vs old

RB 182
I recently wrote off my car and am currently looking for a new one. I'm not sure which way to go, i was at the renault garage near me earlier today and there was the Clio Dynamique SX on an 08 reg. Alternativly i could get a cheaper, older clio such as the 99-05 shape and have a lot of spare money to use on it. I have no idea which to choose and was hoping someone could pretty much choose for me :)

Clio 1970000000
I was going to say get the newer car and look after it but seeing as you are 17 and have already written off one car, buy the cheap one and when that gets smashed up, you have money left over for a another replacement. :D

We've all been there. I had more than one smash in my first two cars. It's all part of the learning process. Wait a couple of years for the insurance to go down and then you will have more choice.

RB 182
to be fair the insuraqnce is only £500 more for the newer one, and i knew some people would not be happy about the writing off of the car then getting the new one, i am acctually a good driver ( i know everyone says this who has a crash but oh well) it was just a shear accident. But even so i still think i will go with the older model and spend a bit of the money making it look nice... low, rs grill, alloy spray and what not :)

Clio 172 cup
Tbh its people like you that cant drive that make insurance prices so ridiculously high.

Just buy a car with a 1.0 engine until u get used to the power

Clio 1970000000
to be fair the insuraqnce is only £500 more for the newer one, and i knew some people would not be happy about the writing off of the car then getting the new one, i am acctually a good driver ( i know everyone says this who has a crash but oh well) it was just a shear accident. But even so i still think i will go with the older model and spend a bit of the money making it look nice... low, rs grill, alloy spray and what not :)

I don't know you but I can say from over 25 years of driving experience, you are probably not a good driver. That doesn't mean you can't drive a car well, it is all about reading the road and that only comes with experience. Re-read your post in a few years time and see if you have changed your mind. I thought I was a great driver at 17...........

* I'm not the CS police * :)

RB 182
i shall rephrase this, even as i re-read it now i can see what you mean, 'i drive well' would be a better fit, but yh i am thinking that if i get an older mk2 now then a few years down the line say when im 21+ i will have the money i have already got and more for something better such as a 197 (if i have any luck with insurance then)

Clio 1970000000
You will love a 197. Don't listen to all the bullsh1t on here about how it's the worst RS clio ever blah blah blah. 99.5% of the peeps on here don't have enough talent to find the limit of the car's abilities and I count myself amongst them ;).

Mk3 dci
i think crashes make you a better driver.. my mate had a big one when he was 18, rolled his corsa b and then got hit by another car he was pretty lucky to only have grazes and bruises. since then he's never driven like a stupid lad even tho he now runs a vtr!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Meh, i wrote my first car off, didnt really care much for it. This one however I am really careful with and like to look after it. Even if i do hate the french bag of s**t breaking 90% of the time.

Listerine & Poledo
get the older one, then save the money to run it (i.e. not throw it away on modz)

Just buy an old cheap car and try to keep it out the ditches.

And this

Oh and "I drive well"... in comparison to?

Unless you've got your advance test done or are running at the front of some championship, I'm not sure what you base this comment on.

RB 182
Tbh its people like you that cant drive that make insurance prices so ridiculously high.

Just buy a car with a 1.0 engine until u get used to the power

who said it had anything to do with power why i crashed? I can drive, as @dunn said... accidents happen, especially to new drivers...

Listerine & Poledo
who said it had anything to do with power why i crashed? I can drive, as @dunn said... accidents happen, especially to new drivers...

Accidents happen to new drivers because they haven't learnt how to drive yet!

"driving" includes being aware of all around you and how to place yourself out of harms way.

I did an intensive course and went from no license to full within a month and it's fair to say I was lethal on the roads then, of course I thought I was the new Mansell back then, even after the many near-misses I had.. convicing myself that natural talent helped me avoid them, when it was most likely the other parties taking evasive action.

Those 'P' plates are a great idea and should be mandatory to begin with, if you see one going down the road you know to keep away from it and expect it to do something heroically dumb.

RB 182
very true, if you are wanting to know what happened, there were 3 cars infront of me, the first one didnt know where she was (she said this in the statement) and needed to go down a straight that she was level with so she put her brakes on sharpish, i am not blaming her for the accident as most do trying to palm off the blame, the car behind her stopped a few cm behind her and the same to the car behind that. This was on a hill on the down side, i came up the hill and as i reached the top i saw them stop sharp but my reactions just weren't quick enough. I know it was my fault and i am not trying to get out the blame at all, i am just saying it wasn't to do with the power of the car or anything like that it was just purely my reactions weren't good enough to go from 25 mph to stopping in an instant. I have learnt my lesson and have been driving my sisters car since and i am going to make sure that that hopefully doesnt happen again.

Listerine & Poledo
Ah, blind crests.

Yes, when you cant see, be ready to stop.

Blind corners and crests are the double-waved-yellows of the road.

RB 182
Yep, as i say lesson defiantly learnt. I am not one of these people who try to blame everyone else. When the police took statements for witnesses they all said i wasn not speeding but may have been going a little fast for the situation.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Always expect the unexpected ;)

Sounds like you had a spot of bad luck, but as said, if you can't see then be prepared to stop.

Never mind, what's done is done... everyone involved lived to tell the tale.

You have much to learn, grasshopper. :evil:

Good luck with the new bus. Get a dCi over a gutless petrol any day too :approve:

Listerine & Poledo
Dci's are a bit higher up the insurance ladder aren't they?

I'd steer clear of Clio's for a while, get something that doesn't get all rapey when it comes to insurance time

Lol at the CS police laying into the guy. IIRC you're just as likely to crash at 20mph on a blind crest as you are at 80mph. Get off your high horses FFS.

RB 182
Lol at the CS police laying into the guy. IIRC you're just as likely to crash at 20mph on a blind crest as you are at 80mph. Get off your high horses FFS.

I have read many many crash stories on here and fully expected for me to get torn into tbh. Live and learn situation, i also assumed that this thread would turn from which car to go for into what happened on the crash :p

Clio 182 cup'd
very true, if you are wanting to know what happened, there were 3 cars infront of me, the first one didnt know where she was (she said this in the statement) and needed to go down a straight that she was level with so she put her brakes on sharpish, i am not blaming her for the accident as most do trying to palm off the blame, the car behind her stopped a few cm behind her and the same to the car behind that. This was on a hill on the down side, i came up the hill and as i reached the top i saw them stop sharp but my reactions just weren't quick enough. I know it was my fault and i am not trying to get out the blame at all, i am just saying it wasn't to do with the power of the car or anything like that it was just purely my reactions weren't good enough to go from 25 mph to stopping in an instant. I have learnt my lesson and have been driving my sisters car since and i am going to make sure that that hopefully doesnt happen again.

Out braked by a woman? Time for Pass Plus!

PS, you are 17, you should have the reactions of a cat!

Clio 1970000000
I have read many many crash stories on here and fully expected for me to get torn into tbh. Live and learn situation, i also assumed that this thread would turn from which car to go for into what happened on the crash :p

TBH I think the CS Police have treated you lightly :race::argue:

Listerine & Poledo
Nah, hero and crash stories are the staple diet of this place.

along with
- which car?
- which alloys?
- how low?
- look how shiny my car is after I spend all day cleaning it
- took my car out for a drive, slipped on diesel, ripped my splitter off on a manhole cover and got dirt all up my coilovers fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Clio 1970000000
Nah, hero and crash stories are the staple diet of this place.

along with
- which car?
- which alloys?
- how low?
- look how shiny my car is after I spend all day cleaning it
- took my car out for a drive, slipped on diesel, ripped my splitter off on a manhole cover and got dirt all up my coilovers fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

What a predictable bunch we are :boring: