ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Media Player ?

I am currently on the look out for a Media Player, where I can hook up to/stream and watch downloaded movies etc from my iphone, iPad, MacBook Pro and various Prtable Hard Drives.

I would like to connect to it remotely from another computer via Internet connection if possible.

I have seen a few which I have listed below.

http://www.johnlewis.com/231561584/Product.aspx

http://www.johnlewis.com/231567860/Product.aspx

http://m.wdc.com/en/product/320

Does anyone have any ideas which is best ?

Does anyone think the WD TV Live Plus is worth the extra ££'s :S

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
With all the apple devices you have I'd be getting an apple tv. I have one and use plex, it's a great setup.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I agree with Chris.

If you are an apple fan boy go for an apple TV. It will do everything you need.

If not, i like the western digital stuff.

Changes to often
I have a western digital one and it is very good I can attach my own hard drive to it and play any format of film and it even up scales too

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I have the wdtv but it's really bad as soon as your hdd gets a lot of content on it, unplug it and plug it back in and it take forever to let you use it or doesnt work at all.

I'm now looking for something a little more powerful.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I have a WDTV and it doesnt work with my HDD so im upgrading my HDD instead and getting the Western Digital my book live. That way once it is set up i can use my content anywhere on my iPhone and can stream to my TV using the WDTV.

I have a boxee box which is okay.

For local content it is amazing, for streaming it's not so good for the UK market. I use it as I can modify the DNS address's so as to watch UK content and USA Netflix abroad.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
WDTV's are great tbh, ive never plugged a USB disk into them though, just connected directly to my NAS, never had an issue.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Connected over your wireless network? Do you not find it slows down the rest of the network?

Mine used to work brilliantly, I loved it, but now with about 600GB of content it just cannot cope. It can't index it all, so gives up after about 10 minutes of frozen-ness.

Polo GTi
Mines wired in to a switch along with the wdtv at the back on my TV cabinet.

My NAS has about 1.5TB of content on it with no issues with playback.

I have the older WDTV without wifi.

133/225/CLS AMG
I couldn't tell you which is best as such as I've never done a big comparison but I have an Apple TV box which works perfectly well for me.

The only thing I find is frustrating is that it doesn't like streaming when I have my iMac on (connected via ethernet cable to the router) and then try to stream from my iPhone/iPad/Nexus it stutters, even with music. Turn off the iMac or stream directly from it and it's perfect, think that's more my router that's the issue than the devices.