ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which coilovers to go for?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Right time has come in the next few weeks to order some coilovers. I've been through many threads looking at the different makes and models and looking at reviews, but I'm just really unsure of what to go for.

From next year, 90% of the time my car will be used for road use (10 mile round trip commuting) and the other 10% i'd say would be devoted to track use. I will be attending as many track days as I possibly can next year so I want/need something that will stand up to the job.

Not too fussed how much they're gonna cost, within reason obviously!

List I've come up with are:

KTR coilovers (unsure for the money)
V-maxx coilovers (unsure for the money)
FK - adjustable/fixed ?
KW - adjustable/fixed ?
H&R
Bilstein B14

Would also like some solid top mounts too, but will have to do a bit of research on them.

What would you guys for? Obviously considering cost and not just saying go for some AST's!!

Mondeo TDCI 130
Well i rate H&R, but, for track they may not be hardcore enough!! Baggers has KW and there very good, firmer than the H&R.

Go fos a spin in warrens!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've got Gaz on my current mk1 and they are mediocre at best. Not impressed tbh.

I've got FK's on my current 172 and they are very good on the road, not tracked it yet though.

I've driven and tracked a 172 with KW's of some description and they were in a different league. Absolutely out of this world. I believe they were expensive though, some racing equipment possibly.

I've also driven an M3 e36 with KW V2's and again they were superb.

I'm also ordering KW's for my mk1 track clio.

Make of that what you will. :)

Dodgy one
H&Rs are a bit soft TBH i'd suspect on track, Firmer than standard and uber comfy on the road though :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
I don't really mind what they're like on road as long as they're driveable, I just want them to be awesome when used on track. Been doing some more reading and these KW V2's have some great reviews.

182 trackday racer
For track use all of those kits are way to soft imo.

PSS10 if you want a propper track setup. I have B14's with 33% harder springs and the car is still to soft and "roll" to much. If Id known back then what I know now I would have waited and saved money for what ever time it would take, put all other updates on ice and go for a propper race setup like the PSS10.

Beside from basics like, brake pads, bradied lines, race fluid, R-tires and maybe an oilcooler the chassis is by far the most important thing of the whole car. Do it right the first time thats my advise.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
We'd all love pss10's, but for most people wanting a road/track set-up £2.4k for a car barely worth that isn't feasible.

182 trackday racer
We'd all love pss10's, but for most people wanting a road/track set-up £2.4k for a car barely worth that isn't feasible.

That kind of depend on you ambition doesn’t it?

A lot of people on this forum buy parts like exhaust, cams, CF splitters, wheels, bucket seats, steering wheels, etc. even the small parts a few hundred here and there add up to a lot in the end. Last time I checked I had spent £9000 on my 182 that’s including tires, spares special tools oils and everything over a 2year period.

So what I’m saying is put the chassis very high on your priority list. It’s better to do a season on original chassis, skipping other upgrades and save money for the real deal. Putting a £1000 on stuff that in the end won’t do it for you just sucks, I know of own experience. It’s just money that could have been spent in a better way.

But as I said it depend on your ambition. My car is almost exclusively used on track and joy rides. For road use and some track I have only good things to say about the B14. In fact its more comfortable than stock.

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
That kind of depend on you ambition doesn’t it?

A lot of people on this forum buy parts like exhaust, cams, CF splitters, wheels, bucket seats, steering wheels, etc. even the small parts a few hundred here and there add up to a lot in the end. Last time I checked I had spent £9000 on my 182 that’s including tires, spares special tools oils and everything over a 2year period.

So what I’m saying is put the chassis very high on your priority list. It’s better to do a season on original chassis, skipping other upgrades and save money for the real deal. Putting a £1000 on stuff that in the end won’t do it for you just sucks, I know of own experience. It’s just money that could have been spent in a better way.
Not really. Ambition? I'll be honest, but for me, spending 9k on a Clio is madness. Buy a better car, done.

182 trackday racer
Not really. Ambition? I'll be honest, but for me, spending 9k on a Clio is madness. Buy a better car, done.

Id call that a reflection of your ambition. ;)

Even if Id bought what you call "a better" car (which I guess might be something like an M3) for the same money as my car+mods it would still be slower on track. So Id have to modify it. The modification cost formula for an M3 is to take the cost for corresponding Clio part and multiply it by 3… Not to talk about the higher cost for tires, brake pads, insurance, gas etc.

Most of the guys I race with club Audi and BMW are amazed how my car goes with so small modifications. Most of them spent 2-3 times more both in purchase and modification costs. To build a very fast track car from a Clio is actually a bargain compared to many of the “better cars” you talk about.

9K, wtf you buying?

Try doing 15-20 trackdays a year, and just add all cost for: tires, oilchanges (engine, gearbox, brakefluid), prake pads, maybe a set of brake discs and see what you get. All these posts are quite small but add up to a lot in the end. To be honest I almost sh*t my pants when I saw the total cost....

Last edited:
  TrackCar & F30 330d
I have H&R coilovers, they are very comfortable on the road and have done 4 trackdays with them. IMO they are a little bit soft but for your application i would recmoend them.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
FFS, you're talking about consumables, that's not £9k on mods. Unless you're running itb's, slicks etc, an M3 should be quicker than a Clio. If it's not, the M3 driver can't drive.

It's nothing to do with 'ambition', they are track cars, not race cars. Massive difference.

Just because you've chosen to spunk thousands up the wall on a Clio, don't criticise others for thinking that's crazy. I genuinely have to idea why anyone would spend that much money on a 'track car' that's gay-wheel drive. If my daily needs weren't so well served by the Clio, I'd be in RWD like a shot.

182 trackday racer
FFS, you're talking about consumables, that's not £9k on mods. Unless you're running itb's, slicks etc, an M3 should be quicker than a Clio. If it's not, the M3 driver can't drive.

It's nothing to do with 'ambition', they are track cars, not race cars. Massive difference.

Just because you've chosen to spunk thousands up the wall on a Clio, don't criticise others for thinking that's crazy. I genuinely have to idea why anyone would spend that much money on a 'track car' that's gay-wheel drive. If my daily needs weren't so well served by the Clio, I'd be in RWD like a shot.

Well if you read my post again you'll see that I wrote 9k on tires, oils mods etc....

I am not criticizing anybody I’m just saying that it depend on how you plan to use your car. Some people just may see the potential in this car and obviously have other ambitions with their Clio ownership than you do. Can’t really understand why that seem to offend you to such a degree? If you think the car is Ghey wheel drive and only an idiot would spend 9k on it I think it’s you criticizing and judging.

Golf GTD Mk7
Id call that a reflection of your ambition. ;)

Even if Id bought what you call "a better" car (which I guess might be something like an M3) for the same money as my car+mods it would still be slower on track. So Id have to modify it. The modification cost formula for an M3 is to take the cost for corresponding Clio part and multiply it by 3… Not to talk about the higher cost for tires, brake pads, insurance, gas etc.

Most of the guys I race with club Audi and BMW are amazed how my car goes with so small modifications. Most of them spent 2-3 times more both in purchase and modification costs. To build a very fast track car from a Clio is actually a bargain compared to many of the “better cars” you talk about.

Try doing 15-20 trackdays a year, and just add all cost for: tires, oilchanges (engine, gearbox, brakefluid), prake pads, maybe a set of brake discs and see what you get. All these posts are quite small but add up to a lot in the end. To be honest I almost sh*t my pants when I saw the total cost....

Ah right. Fare play mate. I'll only be doing a few a year and appreciate the costs involved. Imagine how much you spent on fuel on top of that.lol

Golf GTD Mk7
Just out of interest, what is specifically wrong with your standard setup?

Or are you just changing as everybody says buy coilovers ;)

Standard setup is good sure, but not when you want to really push. coilovers give you more scope on a track. Body roll, rebound etc.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
  lift number 1 @ btm
Is your going to get much road use? Or mainly track?
Will be a weapon when the engine's done!

it should be track only. but it will be road legal, so i can see it getting a fair bit of use.

the engine should be absolutely awesome!! i'll let you know when it is finished if you want to have a go :D

Golf GTD Mk7
:rasp:

I'm aware of that, but my question is whether the OP has actually found fault with his current standard setup on track and if so, which area(s) does he feel need addressing ...

Ah, wondered if that's what you meant. My view is that the rear end on the 182 is too unstable on a track. Presumably due to ride height at the rear. This is cured by driving style obviously, but compared to the 197 it does struggle with rear balance.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Just out of interest, what is specifically wrong with your standard setup?

Or are you just changing as everybody says buy coilovers ;)

No fault at all with the current set up with regards to leaks or anything worn - I'm running standard shocks and Eibach 30mm springs at the moment and I just feel that coilovers are the natural progression step in the suspension department for a better handling/experience on track days.

For track use all of those kits are way to soft imo.

PSS10 if you want a propper track setup. I have B14's with 33% harder springs and the car is still to soft and "roll" to much. If Id known back then what I know now I would have waited and saved money for what ever time it would take, put all other updates on ice and go for a propper race setup like the PSS10.

Beside from basics like, brake pads, bradied lines, race fluid, R-tires and maybe an oilcooler the chassis is by far the most important thing of the whole car. Do it right the first time thats my advise.

As much as I'd like to spend way over 2.5k on coilovers - unfortunatly I'm not rich and I have a mortgage to pay for! So looking at 'cheaper' units if that term can be used at 1k coilover kits is the logical reason!

If i lived at home still and wanted to put every penny I had into the car - maybe then I'd get them but for what I want it for, that sort of kit is a no go.

I have H&R coilovers, they are very comfortable on the road and have done 4 trackdays with them. IMO they are a little bit soft but for your application i would recmoend them.

How did you find them on track? I've heard they can be quite soft :S

Last edited:
  MK2 PH1 1.2 5DR
For a car that's not gonna be on track and for pure 'look' and road handling would you say to get cheap ones like v maxx?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
For a car that's not gonna be on track and for pure 'look' and road handling would you say to get cheap ones like v maxx?

but i'm not overly worried by the road aspect, i want it to perform well on track!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
it should be track only. but it will be road legal, so i can see it getting a fair bit of use.

the engine should be absolutely awesome!! i'll let you know when it is finished if you want to have a go :D
Mmmmmm, let me think abou.......YES!

182 trackday racer
How did you find them on track? I've heard they can be quite soft :S

The info I got before investing in coilovers (choose from H&R, KW V2 and Bilstein B14) was that H&R are the softest one and B14 the firmest.

And the B14's are 75N/mm (front) if you have something to compare with.

TrackCar & F30 330d
The H&R's have worked very well on track. I'm sure Fred said he can drive a clio faster when its on H&R than on AST's :)

I've only driven a clio on apex springs then H&R coilovers so for me the coilovers made a huge difference to the roll, got less inside wheel spin out of the corners too.

I also went for the H&R's as my 182 has the cup pack suspension hole offset thing, so i basically either had Gaz, H&R's or AST's. H&R's were the only option price wise.