ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which clio is best 172 or 182

Zafira and GSXR

Keep think about chopping in my phase 1 16v but keep changing my mind lol

quite like the 182 in light blue with cup suspension and dark rims.

but then started thinking about the mk1 172 as the seats seem much nicer and they come with the alloy bonnet so power to weight is good ;).

Then got onto thinking how about an Exclusive with full leather, numbered etc.

Plus 172s seem so cheap now so could start tweaking it stright away :D

At the end of the day the Trophy wins hands down on the seats but I am not keen on Red :(.

tiTTy & SV650

hands down on the seats? trophy wins hands down on the handling u mean, the seats are available in 182 cups full 182s too

You seem to have sold yourself on the Mk1 172.

performance wise, theres nothing in it. I liked the alloy bonnet, and the looks of my RS-1 when i bought it over the newer RS clios.

I also prefer the 15" wheels.

Zafira and GSXR

keep changing my mind lol.

But yes sorry the Trophy wins in every way apart from the colour.

Zafira and GSXR

Mk1 172s used to put me off with the front lights but I have since found that K-Tec do clear angle eyes for them.

As for the wheels 182 rims in dark grey and a better suspension setup and maybe a carbon bonnet as I have always had a soft spot for them :)

Zafira and GSXR

out of all the 172s and 182s

which is better built, pros and cons etc etc

please all jump in

tiTTy & SV650

i suppose the 172cup will give u the least grief as it doesnt have all the electronics.

as for being well built, well....

Build quality much the same.

Id personally go for a cheap Mk1 unless you can get a very cheap 182. I dont think the 172 Mk2 prices have been affected enought by the 182 realy.

RS Clio 172

Quote: Originally posted by fUbAr on 31 August 2005
You seem to have sold yourself on the Mk1 172.performance wise, theres nothing in it.  I liked the alloy bonnet, and the looks of my RS-1 when i bought it over the newer RS clios.<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">I also prefer the 15" wheels.

e.sport (fr down under) interested 2 note that the uk delivered rsc172 mk1 had an alloy bonnet? & 15" alloys? thought only aust delivered came with 15" alloys?

aust delivered rcss 2001 (85 limited ed) mk1s came with 15" alloys, no climate, auto xenons & wipers, electronic stability programme (esp). (not sure bout alloy bonnet) subsequent 172 imports 02> came with (obvious ext & int changes) 15" alloys auto xenons & wipers (all aust delivered 02-04 with 15" alloys: 172 & 172 cup, depending on year electronic stability programme (esp), except 05> 182, 182 cup, 182 cup f1 all 16" rims)

boy, what a ear full.....

cheers, e.sport

Elise/VX220/R26

I would buy a 172 cup if I was in the market for one, ridiculous VFM if your wanting a bit newer/lower milage than the 182 but essentiall they are the same car

Zafira and GSXR

That Cup is nice and thumbs up on the bonnet :D

I do like Cups and the colour but think I would like leather a bit more.

Not into fitting big rims now and want to keep to 15s / 16s with decent tyres for handerling and acceleration ;)

Requires cutting through the spare wheel well. I thought about fitting a Mini Cooper S style to my 172 bumper but canned the idea because it was too much hassle IMO.

Remapped derv Golf

The 182 hasnt got a spare (nor has the 172 Cup - although it does have the well) both 182s and 172 Cup have foam cans

Its not the back exhaust that gives the 182 extra power over the 172 its the manifold.

Zafira and GSXR

I guess that but it looks better :)

As for the power a nice Cat back system (maybe even a de-cat), fitler and remap will see you past 182bhp :D

i prefer the looks of my 182 to my old ph1 172 , but , i prefer my old 172 for the handling , not too keen on my 182 as they tend to skip at the rear on cornering if you hit a bump , had a few brown trouser moments in it already lol :p

7.6cc :D

172 is better to me, simply because the 182 seems so oversold by Renault and far too many models of essentially the same car, puts me off a bit.

When my car renewing time comes up in a year I shall see what the new RenaultSport Clio is like or go for something else completely rather than the 182.

Ive owned a 172 phase 2 and a 182 and IMO the 182 is a better drive. Lots of minor changes make up a far better all round prospect.