ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which bearing is gone :S

Valver
I've just changed the drivers side wheel bearing but im still getting the droning noise, but it goes totally when im going round roundabout or right corners but soon as I straighten up its back in full force very loud!

I thought this would mean it was the drivers side bearing as when you go round a roundabout the pressure is on the passenger side wheel so this would cause the bearing to be louder? or no...

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Your thinking is 180 degrees out I'm afraid.

The bearing will be louder under normal load, so when you turn right to corner, your taking the load OFF the bearing.

Valver
Ah rite just assumed because you get thrown out round a roundabout more pressure would be on the passenger side bearing?

CB600FS
Yeah as Brian says, when you turn right, the weight goes to the left of the car, and when you turn left, the weight goes onto the right. Get it jacked up and give all the bearings a spin by hand, if its bad you'll easily be able to tell which ones gone.

Valver
^^ Yeah so if the weight goes to the left of the car wouldn't that mean all the pressure is on that side hence the noise should get louder as the bearing has more pressure on it?

Valver
But the noise is going away when i corner right... and I just replaced the other front wheel bearing...

CB600FS
You say you've changed the drivers side wheel bearing, when you corner right, the weights on the left, they'll get noisier. I'd jack it up and start spinning, front and rears.

Valver
*bump* so because the noise disappears when im steering right it cant be the passenger side bearing?

Mondeo TDCI 130
i would say its the passengers side front?! when you go around right hand corners it loads up therefore taking the play out!? does the noise sound like its coming from the front?

Valver
I had both rear disks changed last year with new bearings thou :(

So if the pressure is going on the passenger wheel round a roundabout, would that act as holding the bearing together thus eliminating the noise... can't think what else it could be as the other bearings are quite new...

Mondeo TDCI 130
Well without actually hearing it or driving the car i would say passengers side front, surely if you jack both front wheels up and spin them by hand as fast as you can you will hear it???? it will be droning unlike the new one!

Valver
Yeah haven't had a chance to jack it up yet! im pretty sure its the passenger side was just a bit confused by the noise disappearing when going on right hand bends :S

Valver
Yeah was the passenger side, got a hub from a scrappy for £15 all sorted! Was a pain getting the driveshaft nut off thou

Valver
Yeah was totally shafted, when i spun the wheel the bearing was so fucked sounded like my pads were sticking on the disc lol

Was a bit confusing with the sound disappearing going round right bends thou :S