ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

When does yours come on?

I "think" I have a problem with the petrol warning light/sensor on my 172.

DSC00109.gif

Surely the petrol light should be on when it has basically nothing in it (as per the gauge)?

mines goes really low, below 50 miles it should come on, but mine goes down to 30 miles some times on the trip comp

Clio MK2 (1.2)
nope, mine does the same :) you have still got petrol in there, when the light comes on you have 1 Gallon left :D

172 ph1
"As accurate as Stevie Wonder playing darts" was how the Clio fuel guage and trip computer was explained to me.
Go and fill it up and use how much you got in as a guage for next time.

Blown up 182 & Mondeo TDI
In my 1.2 it came on with 40miles to go, in the 182 it comes on at 30 miles left. Which as a bove is roughly 1 gallon.

i always wait for the light to come on, which is roughly around the same place as yours is on now on the dial.

Clio 1.4 16v
How very odd, mine has just done completely the oppposite, my fuel light came on but the gauge still said I had a quarter in.

Only ever seen the light about 5 times!!

Paranoid about s**t at the bottom clogging the filters.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Only ever seen the light about 5 times!!

Paranoid about s**t at the bottom clogging the filters.
ran mine to the last few litres every time, used to get 45 litres in easily and it never missed a beat in 3 years!

apparently the newer cars have better filters , so no problems with dragging dreads through the system .

Shed.
nope, mine does the same :) you have still got petrol in there, when the light comes on you have 1 Gallon left :D

yea. mine drops to the red bar exacly. hangs there for a while, moves down again about 1 bar length below the red and then stays there for a while. then the red comes on. Tried it the other week. Got 320 miles before it came on for the tank.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Mine used to come on around 35-40 to go depending on my driving.Sometimes more when i would give it some due to throwing the juice around the tank.....

ian

172Petey

mine comes on when he gauge in right into the red aswell, but my trip computer just shows --- after it gets to 30miles left. So in other words its telling you to fill up ASAP!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
What s**t and grime? Like to think the fuel i buy is clean, and if the grime is already resting at the bottom it won't make any difference. As the fuel would be pumped out from the bottom of the fuel tank anyway.

Trophy #473
my light somethimes comes on as usual when it gets to 30 miles etc, but sometimes when i get back to the car in the morning if i havnt filled up the light isnt on and its reading around 15miles, lowest its calculated is 10!? plus everything resets itself, trip and MPG etc.

Light coming on when 1/4 still in the tank is a common problem. I used to have this on my old 172 mk1 and was down to the sender in the fuel tank sticking I beleive. Once you put more petrol in it clears the light and sometimes was as normal and would go down to the usual mark where it's supposed to come on at empty.

The no light on at all could be a blown fuse or faulty sender most likely.

Wierd. I keep thinking... now do I wait for the light to come on OR if the light's broken, then I will find myself stranded at the side of the road!!! Haha!

i did once have an incident where my fuel light came on my trip said i had 65miles before it needed fuel i got 6miles into my trip :eek: which was for fuel the fuel light came on an the trip com went blank ive not really trusted it since i usally wait till its on the last digit or ive done 300miles

Last edited:
  Clown Car
When the light comes on you have 1 Gallon left :D

I have had the gauge off the scale at the bottom, the light come on at about 30 miles range, driven then for another 15 miles or so, done the dash check thing and it said there was only 2-3 litres left in the tank which sounds about right, then driven very carefully to the petrol station and only managed to get about 43 litres in, so in fact there was probably at least 7 litres left in the tank.:S

Problem solved :)

I was driving home today and the light came on!!! As soon as it came on, I checked the digital counter and it said I had 34 miles left before I need to fill up. I drove approx. 10 miles further, checked the digital counter and it was only displaying dashes so I'm assuming I had a lot less than 34 miles to go. Oh well, at least it works. Not bad for a 2 litre 16v getting approx. 305 miles to a full tank :)