ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel studs lengths. No Spacers.

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
Ive been searching around and alot of people have asked similar questions. But I need help. I'm hoping I'll be getting some new fox ms006 wheels and I want to use studs, quick change for the odd track days hopefully.

I understand front back stud lengths are different? Basically Id like to put studs on without Spacers. Ihear pms studs are what most people run. I'm thinking I need something like 70ish fronts? And 65ish rears? I want long nuts so hopeful it will kind of hide an oversize. But I don't want to long.

Do those lengths sound right? Or is front to short? And how do you switch you nuts? Gun or ratchet with a pole (more pressure for tightening )

Also sub questions:
Purple nuts on anthracite wheels, or black nuts on bronze wheels?

Think they are done up to the same torque as the standards which is around 110nm
Depends on the colour of the car but maybe purple for a clio, black and bronze looks nice on some jap cars

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
I don't understand how they would be different lengths? I'm pretty certain they'll be the same as the distance from the hub to the counterbore face will be the same on your alloys. I think people only use longer studs on the front as they tend to run spacers which fit between the hub and wheel but run stub axle spacers on the rear which go behind the hub therefore don't take up any thread.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I see no benefit using studs apart from scene points.

A quick wheel swap, it’s not f1 lol.

Spacers+brembos so you can guide the wheel on easier. And this was taken a while ago 😞

IMG_0073.jpg

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
Think they are done up to the same torque as the standards which is around 110nm
Depends on the colour of the car but maybe purple for a clio, black and bronze looks nice on some jap cars

My cars black gold. Im just not sure if I want suttle or just go for it. Thanks though.

Yay for scene points. I just know how much easier it is to change a wheel with studs. Tbh Idk why it's not common oem on most cars now, it's so much easier. Line them up easier a wheel change would take half the time. And I could take my wheels of to clean behind the arch and back of the alloys :). Every time I use a key washer my car leaks.

Pms ones are 71mm allowing for 21mm spacer would that mean in 55mm would be fine?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
It’s orobably down to

Not really needed unless you change wheels weekly. Which 90% of people don’t.

And the safety aspect of them ‘potentially’ snapping.

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
It’s orobably down to

Not really needed unless you change wheels weekly. Which 90% of people don’t.

And the safety aspect of them ‘potentially’ snapping.

I mean I don't change them weekly but I'll take them of a fair bit to clean behind the wheels. Because I'm that sort of person. + track days.

I've heard mtec ones streaching and then snapping? I've not heard anything from like drift mates. They've had some dodgy studs. But considering the studs are same thickness as a standard wheel bolt, how are they more likely to snap than a wheel bolt that's always overtightened by t***s in garages? I mean anything you do to your car has risks tbh. I think studs, for me, are going to be more useful than just scene points :)