ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel nuts coming loose on track

RenaultSport 172
I have a very annoying problem. And a bit worrying too. For the second time, my first session on a track day was halted by my front wheels coming loose.
Now admittedly I didn't torque them up before going out but they were torqued up not long before.
I had a 2 hour trip on the motorway to the track, but no problems.
After the first session when they came loose, I torqued them up before each time I went out and had no further problems. Only the drivers side had a minute amount of turning when torqueing up again.

As far as I'm aware I have completely standard ph1 wheel bolts. And I have OZ Superleggeras which can't be too different to the standard OZ F1?

Any ideas how I can sort this? Its a bit worrying really. Hopefully its only a track problem and not a road one.

I was planning on buying some bolt to hub spacers but this has made that seem like a bad idea

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Either a hub problem (Getting a bit more common if you search the forum, maybe to do with age now?) or the wheels have been refurbed and the paint/powdercoat is causing the bolts to unwind. Ideally the bolt collars should be seated against the bare metal of the wheel.

RenaultSport 172
Tempted by studs but its another cost on what's supposed to be a budget car.

Daniel you are right about the powder coating. That's what caused it the first time. But I think it's all melted now. Ill have to inspect the wheels.
I guess with spacers I could loctite them in the hub

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I've found that wheel nuts can become a little loose on trackdays, I always check mine after a couple of session.
​just false of habit now.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
The problem with the wheel nuts is, they get very hot and the metal shrinks. Just check them before every session and check your temps at the same time.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Metal expands when it heats up Gaz.

Did you not go to school? Or we're you too busy in the tuck shop?

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
check the pitch of the tread on the bolts to make sure they haven't worn or been over torqued.

what torque setting are you using?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Studs will undo too, the only answer I have found is to torque them up slightly more than normal before you go out and then after your first session nip them up again.

Ph2 172 Track Toy
I had this at donny last year. Could barely do 20mins without the front left wheel coming loose. I've got pms studds now which I hope will help.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Front left is always the worst one. Even on lefthand bend biased tracks but even more so on righthand bend ones.

Golf GTD Mk7
As said, studs would do the same. Just over torque the bolts slightly but when the car is cold as you could snap a bolt. Are you sure they are loose or is it just when you check them while warm?