ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheel come loose often?

172cup
Been getting a knocking noise from the passenger footwell, it was matching the car speed so I thought my driveshaft or bearing had gone
Jacked it and I was quite relieved to see it was just the wheel being a tad loose, tighten it to 105 Nm and the noise/wobble vanished all at once
Following day after 15 min drive the wheel starts making that noise again, I jump out of the car grab the wrench and yes 2 bolts were a bit loose.....
Now I tighten them down to 110 Nm hoping that will fix the issue,
Need to mention I recently replaced the old rusty wheel bolts with brand new speedlines bolts and the bolts concerned were way more difficult to remove than the others
What's the max torque I can apply before the bolt snaps?

cheers
Al

Jap Box
Are you sure its the correct bolt type?

The passenger front wheel is the most likely to come loose compared to the rest, had this happen on my last clio.

These are the different types, id compare your new bolts to your old ones to make sure their the same tips.

lug_nut.jpg

172cup
Are you sure its the correct bolt type?

The passenger front wheel is the most likely to come loose compared to the rest, had this happen on my last clio.

These are the different types, id compare your new bolts to your old ones to make sure their the same tips.

lug_nut.jpg

It should be the correct one, the conical type with 17mm head

Last edited:
  Ph2 172 Track Toy
I had the same issue on track last Sunday. Could only manage about 8 laps before the bolts were loos on the front left. For piece of mind I'm going for a stud conversion. It's only 130 quid so worth it on a tracked car imo..

I had the same issue on track last Sunday. Could only manage about 8 laps before the bolts were loos on the front left. For piece of mind I'm going for a stud conversion. It's only 130 quid so worth it on a tracked car imo..

Won't you have the same issue though? If they're coming lose due to paint on the wheels, you still have paint on the wheels with or without the stud conversion!

Ph2 172 Track Toy
Apparently not. Im no expert but part of the reason the come loose is heat. Studs don't have the same heat issues bolts do.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Make sure the hub face of the wheel has no paint/powder on it and it should cure it. Stud conversion is the way to fully cure if used on track.