ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheel bearing failures

R26, R27
Had 2 wheel bearings replaced by k-tec on the 4th of june this year within a month one needed replacing which was strange, and behold again the other had to be done today, really cant say why this has happend, they told me to send them back for investigation, they said the first one was knackered, so will be sending the other one tomorrow, but i wont hold my breath about compensation,bloody cost me over £200 and had to take two days off work.i only drive my car to work and go shopping once a week
has this happend to any one else on here.

A lot will depend on how you drive, for instance, i've done about 2500 miles this year and have been through 2 sets of rear wheel bearings, admittedly 1500 or so of those miles have been on the track.

The set the car came with were fooked staright away, then the set that replaced these were fitted by a garage as i didn't have the time, these only lasted a short while (probably over tightened, but the disc had been on and off the car several times so it's hard to pin down when) and now last set have gone(these wern't over tightened and were fitted by myself), the nearside one actually collapsed on entry to the gooseneck at cadwell park last week.

I was advised that for a track car these were a consumable item though, so it was to be expected, next year i'll be carrying a spare set of disc's and bearings at all times.

Chris

Lots of Alfas
Over tightening the rear discs can cause serious failures to the wheel bearings, the rear discs should be tightened to 175nm. There was a guy on here not long ago where the garage over tightened the nut and ended up the whole wheel and rear disc coming off at speed.

R26, R27
just drive to work and back, i do about 16 miles there and back, i live in london so its hard to drive hard.i would not be happy if the wheels came off. morego who put the new bearings on reckon that they were probably over tightend, because to have two fail with only about 1500 miles does not happen. what i dont like is that k-tec wont own up to it, which is bull.
i have done over 30000 miles in this car with no problem with wheel bearings.
why cant people be honest