ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whats the best setup to keep the rear end under control

172 , vts , a4
as stated in title whats the best setup to stop the rear twitching so much , i really like the clio but if i cant sort the handling im going to be selling up as i dont have any trust in the car around corners

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I think your car is broken.

The clio is one of the most predictable easy handling cars i've ever driven!

Have you looked at the rear shocks? Broken rear shocks tend to make the back end a little skittish and lively.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Your rear shocks are battered, change them and u will really feel the diffrence.£80 job done

172 , vts , a4
the car is standard , i had a bit of a play on a country road this morning and ended up with the back end snaking all over the show

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Could be a rear shock, rear tyres, or you're completely lifting out of the throttle when cornering when I find it best to keep a small ammount of throttle on and adjust the chassis with the throttle.

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Best set up is very subjective, ive got standard shocks, prline springs and a whiteline ARB, however you may not like it as the Whiteline ARB can make the rear end more 'lively' (TBH when it was on its hardest setting it was too lively for me it was quite twitchy).
And for me this is an ideal b road set up soft enough to absorb potholes without breaking my spine (im getting old!) but firm enough to feel whats going on / have enough grip etc.
What do you want from the car?
As said before from the sounds of it something is wrong with your car, check your shocks for oil/ leaks and your springs to make sure they haven't sheared (as its happened before on mine).
Then if something is noticeably broken change it / replace it to see if you prefer how it should feel as standard before you go changing bits here and their that may not need changing? As its a very capable car in standard guise

Flame 172 (Ph2)
Would Cup Shocks with Cooksport or Eibach Sportline springs be more firm than KTec Coilovers?

Anyone tested back to back?

MK3 Clio DCI 86
My cars back end is also all over the place since I bought it. Going to replace rear shocks as everyone has said above.
Strange thing is, it passed the MOT a few weeks ago :eek: I guess they fail it if it leaks rather than if they are knackered ?

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Dont get cheap coilovers...so an easy answer would be oem shocks with eibach/cooksport springs imo
+1

Think the k-tec/ v-maxx/ raceland ones are pretty much all the same just rebranded differently? (may be wrong!)
I remember there was uproar before when the raceland coilovers could be bought on ebay for around £150, then k-tec bought up all the stock / made a deal with the raceland supplier so you could only buy rebranded ones off of them for over a £100 more!

If you want coilovers invest in some decent ones! (which cost). instead of cheap coilovers your best best would be koni yellow shocks eibach / cooksport springs
but then they cost more than cheap coilovers! (probably mid way between cheap coilovers and descent coilovers)

As above tyre pressues and the tyres themselves could be the issue. Are the tyres the same on both axles? You may have decent front tyres but budgets on the back which could explain things..

172 CUP
Poor rear tyres cause a loose back end. Brought mine with budgets on the rear and I could easily get full lock lift off oversteer by lifting off on a damp island. Just changed to decent tyres all around and it's difficult to get the rear out unless it's really wet - even then it's not as spectacular!

Running sportlines on std 172 cup shocks.