ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats cheaper 16v or RT

Hi all,

Noticing a strange thing happening in the world of Clio .... If you go on autotrader and look at 1.4 RTs, RSI or 1.8 RTs they are the same price as same milage/age Valvers! If anything the RSIs are alittle more!

Whats going on?

Depends on the age.

The difference between the Mk1, Phase1/2 Clios and the Mk1, Phase3 Clios is quite a lot. Look at a 1995 Clio then a 1997 Clio. Seems to have jumped a grand on some models.

Daz.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

The thing is you have to take account of the condition of these cars. Some of the 16vs being advertised lately seem fairly cheap, however they may not be great examples as a clean 16v needs time and money to make it last in good condition.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

I personally think a valver over 70k as long as its been looked after is a better buy just because most of the things that can go wrong with a 16v like a gearbox/steering rack/other wear & tear happen earlier or slightly later than 80k. Not saying this of all 16vs but for the majority this is the case.

Yeah, bills are a major factor. A tatty 16v will make poor money becuase there will be big bills ahead and punters know this.

But I still regularly see mint Phase1s going for up to £4k.

People will pay well over book for a mint car because the 16v is an enthusiasts car. My mate has just bought an M-plate minter for £4,600! Add £££ for leather too.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

The cost of owning a 16v is worth it for the comparitive rarity of the car IMO, its just the fact that most people think it is just another slow Clio & dont know off its abilities, he he. :D

Know what you mean about the pre 80K "re-build." Brought mine for £3,200 (K-reg 1993) about 20 months ago, standard with 68k on it and this took over 2 months to find as most were around £4k, now just over 80k and had new box, clucth, p/s pump, rack, column, engine mounts as well as the normal service parts like plugs, pads etc, a good stage 1 set-up and I cant sell at £2,000! Its depreciated as fast as most new cars!

Think the Cup shot the second hand 16v market to peices. Is soooo cheap so people can get a cup on finance rather than a 16v on a loan and .... people looking for a RT wont want a cup so these prices havent fallen to much.

Would sell the girlfriends 1.8 RT if she could insure the Valver ..... hmmmm, makes a valid point!

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

The depreciation ur talking about is relativly low! 20 months, as in coming up to 2 years, going from 3k to 2k isnt bad IMO. Did u get it cheap cause it wasnt in great nick hence new box & clutch?

As for the Cup well i simply cant afford a new car & if i could realistically afford to, id get a CTR, but insurance will mean the 16v keeps its appeal to young drivers in the 2nd hand market IMO.