ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats a decent compact digital camera?

Mégane RS
I was looking at the sony DSC-T30, currently have a Casio EX-Z57 and looking to get a better one, bot looking for a SLR though

What do people think? :D

al

ST on the way...
There's a new tiny Fuji camera thats just come out.

It's a small camera but has lots of SLR features like Shutter and Apeature priority settings.

I'll see if I can find it.

al

ST on the way...
Fuji FinePix E550 and Fuji FinePix E500

Haven't a clue on prices tho, sorry! :)

its all about the Canon IXUS range.

tbh any of them in the IXUS range are superb... I have the 750 and its spot on :)

A red missile
fUbAr said:

tbh any of them in the IXUS range are superb... I have the 750 and its spot on :)
^^^ yep, i got the digital IXUS v when it first came out, its about the size of a cigarette packet, they've got better since then but even at a miserable 2.1m pixels it takes decent pics. I was that impressed with it I stuck with Canon when I went for a DSLR.

104-0445_IMG.gif

fUbAr said:

I'd agree with that. I have the IXUS 750 and it's excellent. Nice size, easy to use, good quality pictures.

dk

911 GTS Cab
V1NNY said:
I was looking at the sony DSC-T30, currently have a Casio EX-Z57 and looking to get a better one, bot looking for a SLR though

What do people think? :D
good shout, you are already looking at the best so stick with the T series, amazing cameras, feature rich, double steady shot, great size and amazingly big screen for the size of camera.

You won't be disappointed with that camera!

dk

911 GTS Cab
ozzyo99 said:
Canon Powershot S70 very very good camera. Also takes .RAW shots which is a very big plus point!
not really for someone who wants a good compact really, doubt they would every want to take pics in .RAW format, but hey, each to their own

Citroen DS3 DSport
It's still a very good compact camera and can be bought for £200-£220.

Every extra feature may be useful so it's better to have it just incase you one day want to use it.

The sony's have a cracking lens (carl zeiss), but some of their new cameras use software interpulation when rendering the image, which is a shame as the quality is reduced somewhat.

dk

911 GTS Cab
fUbAr said:
The sony's have a cracking lens (carl zeiss), but some of their new cameras use software interpulation when rendering the image, which is a shame as the quality is reduced somewhat.
surely all cameras do that but only when using the digital zoom, they wouldn't on the optical zoom.

The pictures from the T series are amazing, the range has won awards before and will again, when it comes to compact cameras, Sony have it sewn up, best all round package.

dk

911 GTS Cab
sneeks said:
I'd choose a Canon before a Sony everytime. All personal preference though.
i agree, for SLR's i would pick canon over Sony anytime but for compact, totally different market

SLK 350
Dave, read some reviews on the S70 then come back opinionated. There isn't a Sony of that price/MP that could touch the Canon.

There isn't a better compact-click camera you can buy for that money.

dk

911 GTS Cab
ozzyo99 said:
Dave, read some reviews on the S70 then come back opinionated. There isn't a Sony of that price/MP that could touch the Canon.

There isn't a better compact-click camera you can buy for that money.
LOL, guess we are going to have to agree to disagree then because just off the top of my head the Sony W70 matches the spec, is better looking, slimmer, neater package and is cheaper.

I would still go for the T30 over that as it has a 3" screen rather than the 2.5" on the W70 but still, the Canon is not the best that £200 can buy IMO. Oh and I have nothing against Canon, I have a 350D.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Only just realised it was the Powershot S80 I would recommend, not the S70. It will cost around £100 more though.

SLK 350
Oh lord...

The Powershot S80, despite being 8mp is actually a step down from the S70. You cannot for example produce .RAW shots on the S80.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Good thing I didn't buy it then :D Having said that I'd never really take .RAW shots but it's always nice to have the option.

The S80 received excellent reviews.

SLK 350
Neither are bad camera's in fact far from it, they're both fantastic. And if they were both the same price, the S80 would be a good improvement over the S70. Buts its little in the way of bang for buck right now over the S70.

Just don't know why they didn't include .RAW in the S80. RAW photo's really do look great next to .jpegs imo.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Best price I've seen the S80 selling at was £249 but it appears to have went back up in price again.

I have an ixus 50 - its tiny tiny tiny! lol - great pics too and the colour change feature is spot on!!

dk

911 GTS Cab
ozzyo99 said:
Neither are bad camera's in fact far from it, they're both fantastic. And if they were both the same price, the S80 would be a good improvement over the S70. Buts its little in the way of bang for buck right now over the S70.

Just don't know why they didn't include .RAW in the S80. RAW photo's really do look great next to .jpegs imo.
i'm guessing you have the S70 and therefore think its the best thing since sliced bread, specs aren't everything, picture quality is the most important factor, and .RAW is so not needed on a compact camera, not the right market for it, thats probably why they removed it form the S80, its just not needed in the spec.

Still not got used to all the settings on my camera... this looked better bigger but photobucket does not seem to like big pics! so here it is 30% of its original size....

Can you guess what it is yet
rolfanim.gif

d2ded320.jpg

SLK 350
dave182 said:
i'm guessing you have the S70 and therefore think its the best thing
since sliced bread

Wrong i own a Pentax WP, and a D50.

dave182 said:
specs aren't everything, picture quality is the most important factor

Yes, MP isn't everything. Optics is indeed key in a camera, and Canon are arguably market leaders.

dave182 said:
.RAW is so not needed on a compact camera, not the right market for it, thats probably why they removed it form the S80

For most that maybe true. It is however still a backward step, .RAW photo's are stunningly better than using lossy compression like .jpeg.

dk

911 GTS Cab
ozzyo99 said:
Wrong i own a Pentax WP, and a D50.

Yes, MP isn't everything. Optics is indeed key in a camera, and Canon are arguably market leaders.

For most that maybe true. It is however still a backward step, .RAW photo's are stunningly better than using lossy compression like .jpeg.
no, you're right, Carl Zeiss is a rubbish brand, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole...... ;) Oh and I'd rather have 200 pic chances to get a decent shot that to only be able to take 20 shots in .RAW as the file sizes are HUGE and take ages to write on a slow card. I shoot my 350D in JPG and have had a load blown up to 30"x20" and the poster is perfect so why would i want to use .RAW when there is nothing wrong with compression, not for an amateur like me anyway, what advantage will .RAW really give the amateur photographer?

SLK 350
Carl Zeiss maybe a good lens, and Sony may make mass market camera's, but you will NEVER see a professional photographer with Sony gear.

Canon/Nikon make the best camera's hands down, followed byKonica Minolta/Fuji/Pentax, but sure if your in Dixons you can pick yourself up a Sony.

And stop welling on a single point of my comment, .RAW photo's as i said may not be utilised by the majority of folk wanting a point and click, but given choice I personally would use .RAW on static scenery over another compression. Yes you wouldn't use it for trackdays, but thats a different type of photography all together.

dave182 said:
surely all cameras do that but only when using the digital zoom, they wouldn't on the optical zoom.

i wasnt talking about zoom :S

eg: some 8mp cameras actually have a 6mp CCD, and use software interpulation to render the image, dividing pixels to give a similar output to 8mp...

you will never find Canon using interpulation.