ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What vice do you have?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
As per the title what do you all beat down on in frustration?

I have a Record number 4 but I split the fucker straight down the middle of the base pressing out some old bushes, been looking at a Record 24 for an upgrade. Heard good things about Gressel but they're German and don't often get seen over here

Don't suggest anything new like Clarke because I will 100% break it, I need something old that will actually work properly and stand up to a 4ft scaff tube on the end of the handle :ROFLMAO: It needs to stand the test of time because the old one is over 40 years old and the other one should need to see me out until I'm in a wooden box

Ta

406 V6, Race Buggy
Buy a couple of bigger, old Records - the old ones are far better made.

We've got two number 6's - A normal one and one with the square engineering jaws. That No 6 is about 30 years old and I've beat stuff in that with a sledgehammer and it's never flinched:

Same with this old beast:

They've both had tubes over the handles and all sorts of abuse that'd make an engineer cry and keep ticking.

I have a 3" too but I don't use that for heavy jobs, just to move around for workholding so it's never bolted down.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Buy a couple of bigger, old Records - the old ones are far better made.

We've got two number 6's - A normal one and one with the square engineering jaws. That No 6 is about 30 years old and I've beat stuff in that with a sledgehammer and it's never flinched:

View attachment 1409267

Same with this old beast:

View attachment 1409268

They've both had tubes over the handles and all sorts of abuse that'd make an engineer cry and keep ticking.

I have a 3" too but I don't use that for heavy jobs, just to move around for workholding so it's never bolted down.
I've currently got my eyes on two number 6's, a 23, 24, two number 25's and a 26 :ROFLMAO:

I know I should never kill off a 6" vice anytime soon, even with me being a massive pikey lol

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
try bidspotter or the likes for toolrooms and workshops being auctioned off, loads of cheap stuff, vices normally go for a 10er max.

There is a big one in sheffield today but its all drills and taps etc.

I've a 5" record and given the choice again I'd go bigger just to get a little more reach to the side of the jaws.

Personally Id avoid quick release for simplicity.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
try bidspotter or the likes for toolrooms and workshops being auctioned off, loads of cheap stuff, vices normally go for a 10er max.

There is a big one in sheffield today but its all drills and taps etc.

I've got my eyes on too much stuff now, plenty of Hilti and paslode bits on there that's wetting my whistle lmao!

I've a 5" record and given the choice again I'd go bigger just to get a little more reach to the side of the jaws.

Personally Id avoid quick release for simplicity.

Yeah I'll just weld up the old Record No4 nice and thick and get something man sized!

Came in expecting people to be owning up to their dark habits.

Leave disappointed.

I like the feeling you get when a bearing pops out, it feels better than when you do it in a press. Is that good enough? <3

Our dark habits are mistreating old vices.

And them just taking the abuse like good girls:ROFLMAO:

Newer Records don't seem to take as much abuse.

Personally like the quick release? As long as it's a decent unit.

I have a 52 quick release but it's woodworking which probably won't be of any use to you

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Interested in this. Been wanting a vice for a while now.

Was just gonna buy a cheapo new one off ebay but seems Record are the way to go?

406 V6, Race Buggy
Yep, old cast iron before the penny pinchers started making the webs thinner and using recycled chinese tin.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Oldskool 6” Record. Its took everything ive thrown at it, put a slight kink in the bar with a 4ft scaf pipe on it, absolutely solid

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Ffs... I blame the OP for me checking and now realising I have to many vices!!

Got a precision vice on the cnc mill
Got a second vice for the cnc mill, a low vice
Got a big hydraulic vice on the manual mill
Got a 3x bench vices dotted around the work shop of various sizes

I need to sell a one!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
You can never have too many tools!

Anyone that disagrees either has a split between their legs or they need their head inspecting?
the trouble is, is I buy tools that I don't need. I get this from my dad, I see a nice tool and think hm I might need that at some point in life and then buy it. they normally sit around brand new for a long time before I use it.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
the trouble is, is I buy tools that I don't need. I get this from my dad, I see a nice tool and think hm I might need that at some point in life and then buy it. they normally sit around brand new for a long time before I use it.
You sound like me and my dad :ROFLMAO:

We tend to share tools now as it means we get twice the amount of goodies which can make jobs 10x easier! He has a bigger garage than me so we have about 6 different benches, plus he has it setup where every 600mm there's a socket:LOL: If you don't take up on a good deal then you'll only regret it later, if something is cheap you better bet your f**king arse I'm going to get money out of my pocket!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
You sound like me and my dad :ROFLMAO:

We tend to share tools now as it means we get twice the amount of goodies which can make jobs 10x easier! He has a bigger garage than me so we have about 6 different benches, plus he has it setup where every 600mm there's a socket:LOL: If you don't take up on a good deal then you'll only regret it later, if something is cheap you better bet your f**king arse I'm going to get money out of my pocket!
me and my old man share also, saves me buying stuff some times ;)

I buy stuff and it goes straight into my workshop and the wife doesn't see it. she is also not allowed in my workshop :) she has no idea what money I spend (waste)

ive spent loads on ebay this week on effectively tools. ive purchased a wave meter from ebay US to measure the wavelength of light/lasers. that's my sort of tool ;)

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
me and my old man share also, saves me buying stuff some times ;)

I buy stuff and it goes straight into my workshop and the wife doesn't see it. she is also not allowed in my workshop :) she has no idea what money I spend (waste)

ive spent loads on ebay this week on effectively tools. ive purchased a wave meter from ebay US to measure the wavelength of light/lasers. that's my sort of tool ;)
I'm similar, my mrs doesn't mind what I spend my money on as we still have separate bank accounts :ROFLMAO:

She does get a bit concerned about the fact I have 12 sets of wheels in the garage though:LOL: Can't even get 2 steps into the garage now because of car parts

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Picking up this little Record later. 5 mins from me and 25 quid which I didn't think was bad.

Will do me for the few times I need to use it.

Thinking of cleaning it up and painting it.

Screenshot_20190308_124144_com.ebay.mobile.jpg