ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What tyres

What tyres are everyone running on and how much were they. Im on uniroyal rainsports at £70 each.They are v good especially in the wet

C4 Grand Picasso

Ive got Toyo Proxes T1-S, about £42 (195/45/16). Not too bad tyre, I take it a bit easier in the wet with these on - you get what you pay for I guess.

MEGANE

Ive been running Goodyear GSD2s not impressed, could not get GSD3s at the time might try them next time!!!! got Michelin Exaltos on now seem very good not quite as sharp steering as the contis, have yet to try them on track!!

Quote: Originally posted by Moose1978 on 01 February 2004

went on your advice tom and get four brand spanking GSD3s
awesome, cheers mate
Good arent they!

Even better than I had expected......

Quote: Originally posted by Levo on 01 February 2004

Ive got Toyo Proxes T1-S, about £42 (195/45/16). Not too bad tyre, I take it a bit easier in the wet with these on - you get what you pay for I guess.
The Proxies are one of the very best wet weather tyres you can get . If they aint gripping in the wet theirs something wrong with the set-up on your car .

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Mark@Ritchspeed on 03 February 2004

The Proxies are one of the very best wet weather tyres you can get...
I disagree...

Had them myself and for the money theyre good, but there are better tyres, especially in the wet!

Renault Laguna Coupe

When I bought my 17"s they came with Falken ZE512 tyres. If you want to scare yourself to death, get some of these. They get better as the tread wears, but theyre absolutely lethal when theyre new.

I got toyo proxies all round when I got my alloys but when my power steering went, within three weeks they were right down the canvas!! VERY SOFT!....but I have to agree...EXCELLENT in the wet...Id recommend goodyear eagle F1s if you can get em...had em on my last car!

On my car now: 195/45/16
front: yoko A135 (ok tyre....CRAP in wet)

back: Toyo Proxies T-1S (VERY little wear and Ive had em a year!)

if youre running REALLY low on bugdet but need a good tyre Id go for Fulda VRs....made my Goodyear usually about £30 a corner and are an AMAZING all round tyre!

Most people Ive spoken to, including me (I speak to myself) all agree that Proxes are terrible in anything but the dry.

suppose it all depends how you drive but my mechanic who mainly works in performance cars says toyos are one of the best tyres you can get....but VERY soft!

I have Uniroyal Rainsport Ones on the back - seem very good.

Dunno what Ill have next.. Ill have to see.. but Uniroyals will be one of my choices.

Ad

MK2 FRS

I like the proxies, theyre not great in the wet and particularly bad on a greasy drying road. Howverm they are particularly good in the dry. However, they are £40.40 on mytyres.co.uk. For vaule an performance they are the best comprimise. However, have had GSD3s and the difference was noticeable.

Thats weird . Cos I reckon the Proxies are not a great dry weather tyre . I have tried absolutely stacks of tyres and will stand by my findings that in the wet the Proxies are very good . I am never to concerned about dry grip or mileage I get from them . I normally manage about 3-4k miles on a complete set of 4 tyres without track use.

I have used the Proxies on many a wet Welsh mountain road and used to use them on wet track days and as long as you dont put to much air in they are good in the wet . I managed to post some really good times at Pembrey in soaking conditions with standing water everywhere . 1min 17secs if I remember correctly .

I am currently running Goodyear Eagles for road and wet tracks which are slightly better all round than the Toyos .

I do agree their are better options out there now from Pirelli , Goodyear etc but their still one of the best .

Out of interest, what have people found to wear the best?

Which last the longest but also have adequate grip in both dry and wet weather?