ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What tyres are you using on 172 phase II?

172 sport
Need to replace tyres, currently michelin primacy pilots. I was thinking of exalto 2's but they are slowly being phased out according to michelin. What do you rate/use? And why?

Iceberg 172
Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 are really good and fairly cheap.

This again. Fairly soft compound so grip is fantastic but they do wear quite quickly as a result with spirited driving. Excellent in the wet too and at £150 for a pair fitted they're good value.

And they look cool :cool: :D

Clio 172mk2
pe2s , 205`s - costco sell em , seem good for my driving and last a while

maybe there coming out in a new name different tread or somet

Bumder With A Buffer
I have Nankang NS-2's from camskill.

Cant fault them and seem better then the yoko's that were on there before. Good in wet and dry too.

Iceberg 172
I have Nankang NS-2's from camskill.

Cant fault them and seem better then the yoko's that were on there before. Good in wet and dry too.

Mine came with Nankangs on - I quickly discovered why they are known as 'ditch-finders'....... :eek:

They were s**te, and the bad news was that they lasted for ages! :clown:

lift number 1 @ btm
At the moment either pilot sport cups, r888s or t1rs.

I'm after some full slicks too though.

ph1 172
I tried nangkangs before and they were w**k in wet and dry. Steer clear.

Currently running yoko parada spec 2's and really rate them, although alot of people don't.
They are very cheap and amazing grip in the dry. Not so good in the wet but i don't drive fast in the wet so not had any problems.

My cup had continental conti-sports on when I got it and they were good to. Haven't tried PE2's though so can't comment on them.

Corsa Van. Meh.
Currently running exalto's. Can't fault them at all. Expensive but worth the money.

Rears are near the end of their life so am going to try the Hancook's V12's and see how I get on.

Bumder With A Buffer
I havent noticed any problems with the nankangs myself...I had pirelli P zero's I think, before these ones and I wasn't very impressed with those.

Maybe my driving style is different.

BG182FF
im going to try hankooks v12s too after my toyos. rate the toyos but wear far to quickly for my liking

Iceburg 172FF
im torn between t1r and eagle f1s as people i know have t1r on a 172 and a 182 and swear by them but ive always used f1s on me old leon and i loved them to bits BUT price is bit of an issue this time and t1r are 14quid a corner cheaper at the mo.:S

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
im torn between t1r and eagle f1s as people i know have t1r on a 172 and a 182 and swear by them but ive always used f1s on me old leon and i loved them to bits BUT price is bit of an issue this time and t1r are 14quid a corner cheaper at the mo.:S

Everyone I know who have used T1Rs say they are rubbish in the wet and wear quickly. As suggested in the thread I'd get either the Goodyears or Hankooks. The Eagle F1s wear really well I'm still couple of mm above the wear markers after 8k and two trackdays.

Iceburg 172FF
Everyone I know who have used T1Rs say they are rubbish in the wet and wear quickly. As suggested in the thread I'd get either the Goodyears or Hankooks. The Eagle F1s wear really well I'm still couple of mm above the wear markers after 8k and two trackdays.

yeah f1s on my leon wernt to bad wear wise considering was about 240bhp and same torque.
could drive it in the wet like could in the dry and considering was a big bus on standard suspension i didnt think was to bad.

just found f1s for 256 quid delivered and that dont sound bad to me

Iceberg 172
The Eagle F1s wear really well I'm still couple of mm above the wear markers after 8k and two trackdays.

Now you see, i don't consider 8k miles for a set of tyres as "wearing well". It's probably about what i get out of mine but that's the price i choose to pay for a soft compound and an enthusiastic driving style!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
PE2s all round.

Eagle F1s has just as good traction but PE2s corner a bit better I think. Wouldn't hesitate to go back to F1s if the price was right. They do wear quicker though so take that into account on price differences.

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
Contisports.

but only because that's what came on mine when I got it.

Used F1's on my Mazdas before, never had a problem....apart from in snow

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Now you see, i don't consider 8k miles for a set of tyres as "wearing well". It's probably about what i get out of mine but that's the price i choose to pay for a soft compound and an enthusiastic driving style!

Read what I've said again they've still got plenty of life left after 8k miles.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Two track days as well. Must be not bad. I need new rubber after 9k and no track days lol.

Iceberg 172
Read what I've said again they've still got plenty of life left after 8k miles.

I read what you put. I'm not sure what depth the wear indicators are at, but since the recommended point for change is generally accepted as being 3m, after which performance - particularly in the wet - deteriorates, you're probably not far off needing replacements.

On 'normal' cars, I'd expect 15-20k out of a set of tyres.

lift number 1 @ btm
I read what you put. I'm not sure what depth the wear indicators are at, but since the recommended point for change is generally accepted as being 3m, after which performance - particularly in the wet - deteriorates, you're probably not far off needing replacements.

On 'normal' cars, I'd expect 15-20k out of a set of tyres.

I normally need to change the fronts around 6-8k and get about half as much again from the rears.

Clio 172 Cup
PE2's all round, about 8k miles still got 5-6mm on the fronts, rears look almost new. Mint rain, hail or shine!