ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What`s most reliable turbo or charger?

Clio 172 phase 1
Hi guys and glas just been thinking this over a couple of days and arguing it out with a mate, what would you say is more reliable a turbo conversion or a supercharger conversion, on say day to day driving and the occasional track day..... both seem to have pros and cons but i see alot of people opting to go down the charged route and i said it purley because its always on boost but my mate said no no its because its more reliable and not as strenious as a turbo... opinions?

monaco 172
From what I've read on here turbos seem to be the more common option for reliability, due to issues with chargers and the stock pulley setup. But it does seem that all the guys running massive amount of power seem to go down the charged route.

Clio 172 phase 1
Depends on what you buy tbh.

Explaine a little further? as in who makes the kit or what size charger you have/ management? ... also hear your a bit of a whiz with the 197 and mappin, can you offer this as a supply and fit kit? or do we have to source our own cams? and whats the cost can supply own belts no dephasar needed

Clio 172 phase 1
197 cams and mapping * sorry for poor grammar im in work and its hell this morning this nato summit is causing chaos for me.

As in if you buy cheap chargers they'll be less reliable. Rotrex chargers are just a ticking time bomb. They'll go, but it's a case of when.

I don't supply 197 cams, I don't have the time to be searching for them! If you supply then for an air con model, it's £435, £100 fitting and timing the cams up, £250 mapping.

Clio 172 phase 1
haha i know the feeling these 197 cams are a nightmare to find i might save a little more and buy some 421s :) awsome ive ditched the air con :) ill be intouch asap then as id like to get a bit more gogo out the old stallion, ;)

172 Turbo
As in if you buy cheap chargers they'll be less reliable. Rotrex chargers are just a ticking time bomb. They'll go, but it's a case of when.

I don't supply 197 cams, I don't have the time to be searching for them! If you supply then for an air con model, it's £435, £100 fitting and timing the cams up, £250 mapping.
Dan@SJM without an RS2 what power increase do the 197 cams get? How much less is it for a cup? Yhanks

£100 less for a cup. I haven't got a direct comparison of the 197's. The last one I had done had gained a few bhp and a few lb-ft across the range. Power delivery, they deliver like the standard cams, They just pull slightly harder at each stage, and then don't die off until 7700.

tonyd106 Filters, took Tony's out on track the other day, so they'll be able to offer a testimony to how they are.

As Dan said they pull better all over the rev range, I'm really pleased with the setup. For the money it's a good upgrade, would like to see the difference between these and other cams.