ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What road legal track tyres 15"

clio 182
Hi, I'm looking at getting a new set of track tyres. I want something that is good in the wet as well as the dry. I'm fed up with taking a spare set of wheels in the back of the car. I went to a track day recently and a couple of clios were raving about nankang ns2r's.
up until then I was thinking about yokohama ad08's.
What are your thoughts?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
R1r's are aparantly very good in both conditions. Would you not consider a spare set of wheels for when it is dry and get say a set of rainsports 3 if the weather is crap

clio 182
I've got ao48's on my 16's. I've got toyo t1r's on the 15's at the moment and they were ok in the damp but just melt in the dry..

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ah ok, how do you find the ao48's, ive got 16's on mine. Mmm could you not get say r1rs on the 15's?

clio 182
Ao48's are fantastic in the dry but scary in the wet. I would like to have 1 set for all weather's.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ah ok mate. Id probay opt for the r1rs if you wanted a tyre to do both. I'm sure others will gave an input. Can I ask how much you paid for the a048's?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Can't say fairer than that lol. If you spot a full set at a nice/Cs price can you let me know. Good luck with the search, will keep an eye on what you opt for :)

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
R1Rs are crap......

Trackday tyres get Dunlop DJ03 or Kumho V70s butter than Toyo R8888.

Track 172 Cup
I've had the same dilemma for a week now trying to decide what to put on my track 172 cup I have a spare set of wheels and in the end I have put Michelin Pilot Sport 3 on them for now as I'm new to track days and my first few will be Jan/Feb and I doubt I'll get to the limits on my first few days. My other set have Yoko AD08r on them but they are down to the wear markers on the fronts so might try and get 2 part worns for the front and save them for a nice day.

Also looked at

Nankang NS2R
Federal RSR
Toyo 888 or R1R
Yoko AD08R (to replace the worn set I have as I can't rate them myself with weather being bad and not wanting to use them on the road with barely legal tread)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Had them on my impreza ^^ very good tyre. If it's your first trackday Id recomend decent road tyres and see how you get on.

Track 172 Cup
I'd be finishing the ad08s off on track

That's what I'm gonna do when I go a nice track day when it's hot, how low can you run them down before you need to change? I assume it's just down to how they feel not tread depth and weather conditions. Think the fronts are about 1.5mm ish.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers. Would you know if they did them in 16's? Guessing they are quite dear.

Not sure why I asked if they did them in 16's lol. They are dear and 205/45/16 and I'd be after 195's

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers tom.

Out of interest has anyone or know anyone that has used re050's?

Last edited:
  clio 182
It might be that they have skinny front tyres and they weigh next to nothing. Have you got a track day booked?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yes mate 24th of jan at Oulton. Been a few times before so know the circuit, well the best I can.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Oddly was going to pm you as i spotted you commented on getting some, or atleast asking about them.

Cossie, 182FF, A3
I use Toyo R1R's on the track and found them great in the wet and good in the dry and would recommend.
Interesting to read above that they are no longer available in the U.K.