ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What made you pick a Clio?

peugeot 205, vw polo
Looking at a Clio RS 5dr. What made you buy one over the Fiesta ST which, dare I say it, gets highly rated by press compared to the Clio.
Any info appreciated.

peugeot 205, vw polo
Thanks for the reply. I love the shape of the new Clio and also need a 5 door car. Anyone care to share their ownership experience good or bad?

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
After selling my own Renault 5 GT turbo i could not find another reasonably priced one at the time....so started looking at Clios...after driving a sport I was hooked and saw the potential in them...now I’m on my second one and have not looked back?.SJ.

Rusty Cup
I was looking for a new daily after slumming it in a £200 ford Ka. Saw a Cup come up on Copart with a damaged drivers door. Cost me £700 the rest is and or was a blur ?

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Got offered a Cup about 7 years ago by my mot tester as he needed to shift it. Went there expecting it to be rubbish. Took for a test drive and could not believe it!!! Was cheap at 1k too.

Unfortunately I am now obsessed with Renaultsport cars. There is just something I really like about them.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
If you want 5-Doors then you're looking at only the most recent model.
You want the 220 Trophy, the other one is shite.

To be fair the Fiesta ST is new this year, the Clio is quite old with a new model out next year.

Personally unless the Clio was a crazy deal I'd look elsewhere, who wants to own the last of the current model when the new one is just around the corner?

RS Clio 220 Trophy
If you want 5-Doors then you're looking at only the most recent model.
You want the 220 Trophy, the other one is shite.

To be fair the Fiesta ST is new this year, the Clio is quite old with a new model out next year.

Personally unless the Clio was a crazy deal I'd look elsewhere, who wants to own the last of the current model when the new one is just around the corner?

I do......the last of the current model is most sought after ?

Jon46

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
I was looking for an investment about 3-4 years ago. I wanted a 106 Rallye, but couldn't find a good one for £2.5k

The price of a 106 soon doubled/tripled so I had to change focus.

To me, next inline as an appreciating classic hot hatch was the 182. I bought one, and I couldn't be happier!

I'm not really bothered about the resale value now. I'm happy and content, that I own, and have enjoyed one of the greatest little hot hatches ever built. That's good enough for me ?

RS200
Had an itch for the 182 Cup since they launched back in 2004. I had a very nice 106 GTI at the time and test drove the Cup. Loved it and almost traded the 106 GTI for it.
I ended up with neither car as I sold the 106 GTI to buy a house.
Fast forward 14 years and I had to scratch the 182 Cup itch.

Clio
I was unsure about how to come out of the closet to my parents without saying "Hey, I'm gay" so I first started wearing tight jeans and a man bag. Then I made us sit down and watch Billy Elliot one Christmas Morning, then I asked for the Ricky Martin greatest hits and 2003 annual. Then finally in 2005 I turned up to the house in my new Clio and as my Dad answered the door he said and I'll never forget this to the day a die, that look in his eye that he still loved me "You a bit batty son?"

RB 182 Cup,E46 M3 CS
Well personally I'd never buy a new RS Clio so I can't really comment on that.. I bought the 182 because I needed a second car and one that was easy to get in and out of but also fun to drive. The Clio ticked the most boxes. Initially I just wanted a reasonably priced FF but this RB Cup was for sale with low miles and at the time it was the only RB for sale, looked great so I decided to go for it instead..

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Had a load of 106's, S1 and s2 rallyes, 16v rallyes and a GTi. Stopped driving for a load of years and wanted another 106 GTi. Couldn't find one that I liked in my price range so ended up in a 172. Imo they're just a slightly bigger 106. Handling characteristics are very similar.

peugeot 205, vw polo
Not looking for a new but fancied a 5dr as I need to carry passengers on occasions. Do love the look of the 5dr as well. Really love the previous gen in green with recaros. Could be tempted with one of those.

Clio 197,with megan'
My Renaults were an R26 280/300, R26R running around the same.and now, my Clio 320/340, and this one will be staying.I had an FQ400, running 600bhp+, but I prefer the Clio.Fantastic car, awful driver!.

RS200
Had a load of 106's, S1 and s2 rallyes, 16v rallyes and a GTi. Stopped driving for a load of years and wanted another 106 GTi. Couldn't find one that I liked in my price range so ended up in a 172. Imo they're just a slightly bigger 106. Handling characteristics are very similar.

Have to love a 106 GTI.

Mine from around 1999.

b9a07970c5739fabb5021292c2e430c1.jpg

My last one from 2017.

ba4902ccf8e208b0557e54ccf472e2a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RS200
My Renaults were an R26 280/300, R26R running around the same.and now, my Clio 320/340, and this one will be staying.I had an FQ400, running 600bhp+, but I prefer the Clio.Fantastic car, awful driver!.

I bet the FQ was a handful. My old Tommi Makinen was an awesome car and that was only running 350/350.

Day I sold it in July this year.

467ee28529f9907b347ad5e667b9e39b.jpg

Audi s3
Choose the clio, purely on track car reasons.

Light,cheap(reasonably) and fun.
Plus when you go to a knockhill track day if there's 20 cars on track 10 of them are usually clios??

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Spent a fortune getting that car to an impeccable std. was great when done.

View attachment 1390978
View attachment 1390979
View attachment 1390980

I do love a good satchshift., My 16v s2 rallye was probably my favorite, it was rr'd on a very optimistic rolling road at 154bhp, It only had breathing mods and a set of cams, so I have my doubts about the figure but the car was stripped within an inch of its life and had B8's so it went the very best regardless.
I have a standard (apart from a pugsport) S1 rallye in the garage at the minute but it lacks the power of the 16v.

RS200
I do love a good satchshift., My 16v s2 rallye was probably my favorite, it was rr'd on a very optimistic rolling road at 154bhp, It only had breathing mods and a set of cams, so I have my doubts about the figure but the car was stripped within an inch of its life and had B8's so it went the very best regardless.
I have a standard (apart from a pugsport) S1 rallye in the garage at the minute but it lacks the power of the 16v.

Love a nice Rallye. My Diablo was cammed with an Ecosse induction kit and was running 143bhp. Great cars.

RS Clio 220 Trophy
Now have two Clio’s....A 67 Reg 220 Trophy in Liquid Yellow and a 68 Reg 1.5 DCI “Iconic”
Have parted company with the electric Zoe ?

lancecup

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 cup
I needed something fun and cheap after selling my Nissan so it was a choice between a clio or a mx 5. So far I think I made the right choice

I bet the FQ was a handful. My old Tommi Makinen was an awesome car and that was only running 350/350.

Day I sold it in July this year.

View attachment 1390907

Similar theme.....I terminally crashed my 460bhp Impreza spec c in a race in April this year. I always had in mind that when the Impreza finally retired I would like to race in a simpler lower budget series which would also allow my son to start racing.
We started thinking RWD for a laugh, but nothing other than a BMW 1-series seemed to fit the regulations, and they are heavy and expensive.
I remembered an EVO magazine review of the 182 being a great drivers car and one of the last real 'hot hatches'
Now a very happy owner of a 182 cup almost ready to race

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
I went to buy a dc2 back in 2003 after using the pool one at my work quite a bit. Saw a promo shot of the 172 cup, that blue with the silver speed lines looked stunning.
Tested one at the local dealers and loved it, more so than the dc2.
That was 2003 and I still have it. The only cars that have come close are my r26 and my mums r53 cooper s, and I've driven/owned loads since 2003.
180 Bhp and that small package are spot on for uk roads.

Clio 197,with megan'
Slightly off topic...... I think the only thing that would tempt me to sell my Clio, would be a Twingo, with a Megane Engine.

olisc97

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 FF, 205 XS
Had a 205 XS that was a little rocket (failed MOT but I still have it)... Got a Clio iii 1.6 and it was boring as hell... Now I have a 182: relatively cheap, no turbo, good power to weight and good spec list. I think the track day with a dozen clios might have sealed the deal, not really complaining.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Allan H

ClioSport Club Member
  Ford Puma, Focus
Honestly? My wean's carseats wouldn't fit in the backseat of my puma any more after they ran out of headroom. Wanted something with more room in the back, that was fast/fun and most importantly cheap! Got my 182 FF for under a grand- has needed lots of wee things doing and still got more but I love driving on it and tinkering with it too!