ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What made you choose a Clio sport

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
Why did you decide to buy your current Cliosport/williams/v6 etc?

I owned a Williams 2 back in 96 after i got rid of my R5GTT and loved the look of the bulge in the bonnet(sad i know).After owning the car a few weeks i couldnt get enough of it and spent most of my life in it.:eek:

10yrs later and i bought the 172 because of my fond memories of the Williams even though i preferred the look of the Pug 206Gti 180.

Note below:Although the 172 is a good car,its nowhere near as much fun as the Williams as far as memories go.

What made you choose yours?

Last edited:
I was after a 172, always wanted one, but after catching a glimpse of the RB, I used a mammoth ammount of man-math to convince myself I could afford it.. Here I am 7 months later and broke :p

Williams 1
got offered a williams for cheap with low mileage off my boss so got an insurance quote on it and it was cheap so bought it the same day!

Would not have any other clio but a mk 1 or a v6 unless i was a woman as there a girls car and that bubble looks gay on the back of the car

Octy VRS
Reading Evo. Loved the look and reviews of the 172 but knew the 182 was coming so waited for the review. Read it and went and ordered one straight away.

B

Ben^

Flat mate bought a 172 and I had an mg zr at the time, just seemed in a different league to any car in the same price/insurance range. So i went out and bought one! Much to my flat mates suprise as it was the same colour!! He has now bought a Megane 225 trophy as we are both impressed by the RenaultSport range!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i had a 1.2 as a curtesy car after i stacked my 205, it was awesome compared to my car, so bought one a year later, wasnt quick enough so bought a ph1 172 9 months after that at the age of 19, 10 months after that i sould it and bought a 106 rallye, regreted it so bought a ph2 had that 5 months now... ooo nearly time for a change then lol

White clique
I'll be totaly honest my sole decision was the good press and Evo review - i didnt even bother looking at any other cars.

53 Clio's & counting
i have had 3 clios and a 172 looked a logical step up from my old hybrid ,although slower (that did 14.1@99 all day long at pod) it is nicer to drive and i like the looks.

also i managed to pick it up for just over 2k back in march last year when even the snotters were fetching high 2k

clio sport f1 r27
on ma 4th renault not because its reliable any ways! prob because its cheep and cheerfull to run and its matches if not better than most rivals taking into concideration speed,handling ect

Silver 172 cup
I drove a number of cars like a type r and a leon cupra r and the likes and just decided I liked the feel of the clio much more. Plus there is the fact that most of my mates have fast ish cars but have noidea mine can wipe the floor with them:D .
And I have always wanted one sinse i can remember.

Ly meg R26
the colour of the car just stood out so much, then the sounds, that was all before i even got behind the wheel! i had to have 1:)

was looking for a modern replacement for my 205 GTi and understood that the RS was as close as you could get. having been underwhelmed by the Cooper S and disliking the delivery of the VTEC engines, there wasn't any competition really.

106 GTi
Renault did a cracking deal on it, where as Pug would give me nothing off a 206 180, which did not drive as well as the Clio either.

When the 172 Cup came out I really wanted one but never had the money so missed out on it. After driving the 182 I had to have one, something I never felt after the 180 test drive. All in all it seemed like the prefect modern day replacement to the 205 GTi I sold to make way for it.

Drove the Focus ST170, Bread Van and Cupra at the time and none had the same appeal.

Black 182 FF
I had a few reasons. The first, like other members have noted, was the influence of Evo magazine (which every clio enthusiast should read!). The second was personal experience of how much fun clio's are to drive. I had a Mk4 Golf before my 182 and, on holiday (and insured!), I drove my girlfriend's Clio 1.2, which I found felt quicker and much more fun to drive than my golf (which was a 1.4). The third, and final reason, is the value for money - much more expensive sporty cars can find themselves unable to keep up with you as you pull away from the traffic lights - quality!

Clio 182/ RX-8
Was looking for a 1.2 16v for the misses, wasnt overly keen on the shape but slowly it grew on me.

Then i see a 182FF in black gold with both cup packs, then my mind was made up.

She ended up with a 206:D

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I didn't want a Clio I was going to chop my Pug 106 1.1L for a Civic Type-R or a Cooper S! Stumbled accross a 172 while going to see one and just loved the 172 after that.

Was looking at 5 year old cars with my original 10 grand budget and realised I could get a similar age Clio a lot cheaper. Maybe I could have got a 182 or Trophy but ended up buying the 3rd 172 I saw saving 4 grand on my budget.

Had my Monaco Blue for almost a year now and loved every minute :D

P.S Passed its MOT today, obviously not driving it hard enough ;)

b/g 182, meg tourer
after driving my brothers mk2 ph1 172 or (ph-quick) it convinced me to get my 182. not a bad little car at all really

A4 Avant
When I bought the trophy I wasn't actually interested in a new car. I was killing time waiting for mates to get to the pub. Saw the car in the showroom, sat in it, put a deposit down. Picked it up brand new a week later.

Current 172 was bought after wanting the trophy back and this one coming along at the right price.

Ph1
Because at the time it was the most powerful hot hatch on the market and very well speced up. (few months before the CTR came out)

Wanted a Ford hot hatch but they only had a 125 bhp ST thing :clown: :clown: :quiet:

Clio 200
had a 1.2 8v clio few years ago and sold it for a corsa but always wanted my clio back.

but chauster is all to blame for it he gave me a shot of his 182 and a knew right away that a wanted a rs so went and got myself a 172 not quite the same but hey. bottom line chauster is to blame :rasp:

FF 172
Im older (mature if you like... lol :eek:) so ive had time to look at lots of other cars, ive had loads of family cars audi a4 (2.6) etc and merc c class (2.0)
Earlier in my life (before kids) i had a few alfas, a sud a 33 and more recently a 156 selespeed, when that went bang (gearbox) i bought a golf gt tdi and at 37500 miles the little end started rattling so i had vw fix it and paid them £1700+
I then decided f*ck it what car would i really like so i bought a 172 because a) power to weight was great and b) the prices are (were) great for a 3 year old car, reliability? well it can`t get any worse than the two above can it??
va va f*kin voom

Clio 172 mk2
Like the looks and pretty discrete car compared to some (evos and Imprezas)

Cheap on insurance and petrol too:D