ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what is the difference in emissions with or without a CAT

clio 1.4 16v 02
^^as above^^

My car failed its MOT on emissions and lambda the MOT tester told me to get a new exhaust system and take off the after market air flter, anyways to cut a long story short I found a clio breaking to buy the full system "cat, center, back box, and lambdas" the bloke breaking the car said he would knock £20 off the price if I gave him my old cat.

Got the car in the air, took off the back n center, went to take off the cat and "where the fuk is it" no cat (de cat). How can a MOT tester not notice that lol??

Anyways back to the original question what sort of difference in emissions would a de cat make?

Heads Up.. make sure you have access to a ramp if your thinking of replacing the cat/de cat, what a t**t to get it out 2 hours pissing about.. had both 2ton jacks high as poss and still had to pull it up and out through the engine bay, how the heck am I gona get the cat back on lol

Enough difference to make it fail an MOT, that's why it's there. Did you not think 'this exhaust sounds a bit noisy' when you bought it?

clio 1.4 16v 02
well obviously its gona fail lol.. the exhaust was loud anyways I could probs fit my head in the back box ha good riddance to that.

clio 1.4 16v 02
yep admit it, im thick as pig sh*t :) just wondered what sort of difference the readings would be in emissions with de cat, maybe I dont have to change the exhaust system and fit a new standard air box like the MOT tester said.. Just fit a cat?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
2 reasons you'll have high CO readings, one being the lack of cat which will probably bump you up to 1-2%, and also a large tailpipe will suck in at idle(pulsing) so throw out the readings at the probe.

clio 1.4 16v 02
I had mine tested without the cat, CO was 0.6%, the limit is 0.2. With the cat it was 0.02%

The answer I was looking for. Thank you.
my readings
first fast idle 0.48 (fail)
second fast idle 0.46% (fail)
Natural idle o.46 (pass)