ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What exhaust do you run on your Turbo clio?

Ph1 T
Just wondering what exhausts people run on their turbo clios as one of my mates has just made his own and it sounds unreal raspy as hell and a shed loads better than mine (OMP inox)..

Also what options do i have for a raspy exhaust mine sounds good just a different noise to what i want?

Cheers

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Custom 3" turbo back by Nortech

previous setup was a ktec 2.5" super sport turbo back set up, no centre silencer or cat. I didn't find it too offensive but my mate bought it off me for his NA 182 and it was horrendously loud

Ph1 T
Think it is mate

DEBFA7A5-359E-4F19-9EEE-C2EBC138D99C-7718-000007D670AED4F8.jpg

I think the yozza is the only thing for it now

Ph1 T
Custom 3" turbo back by Nortech

previous setup was a ktec 2.5" super sport turbo back set up, no centre silencer or cat. I didn't find it too offensive but my mate bought it off me for his NA 182 and it was horrendously loud

The 3" what you run bud? you got any videos of the sound?

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Yozza + boost will be pretty nice.

The omp pea shooter is really raspy too, but some people struggle to pass noise limits iirc.

Ph1 T
I do really like the look of the other inox system 'pea shooter' may give that a try sure id sell mine on pretty easy..

Ph1 T
Is it this sunday?? Completely forgot.. Aslong as its not stupid early ill have a drive up :) You going?

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Is it this sunday?? Completely forgot.. Aslong as its not stupid early ill have a drive up :) You going?
It is mate, 24th. Starts at 11AM so you can have a little lie in ;) I'll be there for sure.

They do sound really good, even better in person too. I just love the look of them as well.

Ph1 T
I live in sheffield there wont be a lie in lol Think ill aim for 12 if people will still be there... Introduce yourself when a loud shed of a ph1 rolls up as ill not know anyone lol :)

Countryman JCW
I've got a yozza stealth system on mine with the super quiet back box, same as OEM for sound. May need to get something a little less restrictive though to make sure it's free'd right up

HBT 172 Cup
mines 2.5" from the turbo to the tail pipe. Using Ktec Recessed exhaust (with centre silencer), although i have a piece of straight through pipe to replace it with for more turbo noises ;)

Ph1 T
I don't think my exhaust noise as changed at all since fitting the turbo although I don't know If it usually would?

I want something raspy as hell

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The turbo takes a lot of noise out compared to an N/A engine.

I'd go for something that is moderately loud like a twin silencer yozza as the turbo will reduce the dB output and it should sounds quite nice.

Ph1 T
Has the yozza got a good sound to it? I had one on my 182 and loved it just not sure if the 172 model is the same noise

Countryman JCW
Is that the secret for getting more of a raw from the turbo? or is it purely boost related i.e. the more boost, the more raw? Mine sounds very quiet but is only on minimal boost until i get a new clutch fitted and have it remapped.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
More boost won't make much difference

N/A cars get louder as you tune them because you have less restrictions on the exhaust side, decat, straight through exhaust etc. and because valve overlap increases with longer duration cams so you get induction noise exiting through the exhaust, more so with bodies.

To make a loud turbo car you run bigger turbo (less exhaust restriction) and cams, more overlap and map accourdingly and hardly any silencing at all.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Mine is just 2.5 all the way back and then a single backbox, surprisingly not noisey at all like that when just potting along at 80-90mph on a german autobahn, its the bonus of having a turbo chopping up the exhaust gas pulses that off boost it makes the engine quieter.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Is that the secret for getting more of a raw from the turbo? or is it purely boost related i.e. the more boost, the more raw? Mine sounds very quiet but is only on minimal boost until i get a new clutch fitted and have it remapped.

Most boost = more airflow
more airflow = more noise from the same exhaust

Thats how pretty much all wind instruments work, exhausts included.

Countryman JCW
Surely as hell does on every turbo car I have ever owned.

Mine on low boost is really civilised but on high boost makes quite a roar.

More boost it is then Chip ;-)

My Yozza has the quieter back box on, but has a decat, is that likely to restrict power much?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
No, but running boost with a silenced backbox that has 3 baffles and 2" pipe vs a silenced box with a straight through perforated pipe and 2.5" pipe will help.

The turbo already makes it quieter and it has a silenced centre section so realistically I can't see it being much louder than a similiar car with a twin silienced KTR stealth

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Agreed, you want as little restriction as possible, I only ever use straight through type boxes, but like to use big ones to keep it quiet where possible.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Out of interest how much extra back pressure do boxes with a diagonal perforated pipe (corner to corner or centre to corner) make compared with a straight perforated pipe (centre to centre)? They'll be slightly quieter but what is the trade off with back pressure or does it not make that much difference?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Never tested it but can't see why it would make any difference to back pressure.

bet they are not quieter though when compared to same volume straight silencer.

Countryman JCW
So i need to speak to Fred and get a different back box for the system?? or are these no longer available thus meaning a whole new system?

Allan-

ClioSport Club Member
I know on my turbo, it was running a mongoose which was so loud you could hear it a 1/2 mile down the road before you could see it!
After fitting the turbo it was totally fine. I think the Mongoose is a 3"
I assume the turbo blocks a lot of the noise giving it a much quieter sound.

Im thinking of getting a custom exhaust on the 182 though as im running the scorpion and with the Rotrex its massively loud.
Maybe i should go for one of those Vortex exhausts ;) lol