ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What do we rival!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I've not noticed anyone say what car is better than a 182/172 in this thread? Clio's seem to be better than most so far?

I've had 172/182/197 and know what they are capable of. Many people on here for example have modded Clios and will then say they are faster than such and such, too many variables.

Yes there are cars that have always been pitched as "rivals" in the motoring press, for example 182 was always along side Civic Type R / Mini Cooper, but again each of those cars could beat a Clio in certain conditions, in the same way a Clio could beat them in others. The Clio has always been a weird one as its either been top of the class against some silly alternatives in group tests such as C2 VTR or something, or its against ridiculous cars which it would never truly "beat", as Evo seemed to do a lot with the Trophy.

I got bored of the clio argument, I dont really care about that, i'm more into the one where bhp/tonne is the one and only deciding factor as to how quick a car is. ;)

Oh and the trophy always wins in evo lol

White clique
I got bored of the clio argument, I dont really care about that, i'm more into the one where bhp/tonne is the one and only deciding factor as to how quick a car is. ;)

Oh and the trophy always wins in evo lol

Well you've only got to look at a superbike and a truck cab to know that isnt the case!!

None
I have to agree and say the bhp/tonne thing is nonsense, lots of standard American cars produce huge horsepower but go no faster than a vectra or mondeo, they just build them that way because they don't have the fuel price constraints we do here.

Megane 225 F1
As a new 1*2 owner I can't really give a good description on what we can "beat" but to me it doesn't matter. I have more fun in this car in the last week than I ever did in my 1.4 (and I loved driving that thing!!!). And as I'm new to the larger sized engines, I have taken it slowly. So what it's like when I give it some and more confident with it....well I can't wait. If I have some chav beat me in their car, it won't matter because I can have fun in it on my own. :)

Italian 3.2 V6
Lol FFS...

We are talking about f**king clio's and there rivals. General day to day cars you will come up against not insane race lorries or whatever.

Most cases then (for the s**t faces). I'm not saying bhp per tone means everything. But it's a easy way to sum up the "rivAls" what do u want me to do.. Make a f**kihg list if everycar beatable In a ClioRS? If so suck my massive bellend and eat my s**t for desert.

Stop being so defensive and perthetic and open your eyes. It's simple. Most cars with 0ver 177bhp per tone wil be quicker than a ClioRS in everyway. If not they have been driven by a downy chimp.

PSf**kingJ.

Fiesta ST-3
Ive only owned my Cup a week or so and in that period ive minced a VW Golf VR6 mrk3 i think. Fook knows if thats a good result or not but just to throw it in there as there are lots of them locally.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Ive only owned my Cup a week or so and in that period ive minced a VW Golf VR6 mrk3 i think. Fook knows if thats a good result or not but just to throw it in there as there are lots of them locally.

They are 178bhp and weight ALOT. I know, I had 2, lol

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Lol FFS...

We are talking about f**king clio's and there rivals. General day to day cars you will come up against not insane race lorries or whatever.

Most cases then (for the s**t faces). I'm not saying bhp per tone means everything. But it's a easy way to sum up the "rivAls" what do u want me to do.. Make a f**kihg list if everycar beatable In a ClioRS? If so suck my massive bellend and eat my s**t for desert.

Stop being so defensive and perthetic and open your eyes. It's simple. Most cars with 0ver 177bhp per tone wil be quicker than a ClioRS in everyway. If not they have been driven by a downy chimp.

PSf**kingJ.

LOL

Chill out man :cool:

Evo 8 MR
LOL i nominate a permanent name change to this!

But all those saying B road blast, feck that, take it on a track. Putting your own life/others lives at risk is not the way to do it imo.

This man speaks sense.

Simple answer, take it on a track, then you'll find out how much fun an RS Clio really is, most importantly you'll be doing it safely and legally.

Arctic 182 & PB 172
I don't really think it matters.

My car puts a smile on my face, looks pretty nice, is comfortable and gets me to where I want to go.

Ergo it doesn't matter what it is or isn't better than.

I like this quote! I feel the same way...my Suzuki swift sport did the same thing but ive wanted a 182 for a long long time so used my SSS whilst it still had equity to get my lovely 182

Barge
Oh dear. Beaten. LOL. Damn street racers.

I think Ben's post about it depends how big your balls are is completely true, and it's 100% down to your driving capability. As Gal said earlier on, you can have fun in your car without breaking speed limits or risking your life; granted that isn't very often on a public road which is why track days were invented.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Lol FFS...

PSf**kingJ.

Lol my eyes are wide open and I still don't agree with your summing up tbh.

And how about less of the "s**t face" attitude you've just displayed in what is at the end of the day a discussion!

Z4
Clios punch above their weight, thats for sure.

I don't own one anymore, my tt is a fair bit quicker but i'd rather drive the little tin can (172 cup) for the shire driver involvement and fun to be had.

Bhp/ton isn't everything...lol! It's a large factor, but its by no means the last word. Transmission losses, handling, aerodynamics, tyres, brakes are all major considerations when waving your willy about talking out performance.

I also love how 'torque' is the new 'bhp' lol. Everyone loves it now, and everyone loves quoting 'bhp sells cars, torque wins races' ..yeah, perhaps uphill with passengers from a rolling start, lol.

Last word: It doesn't matter how the clio compares to other performance cars, as long as you enjoy it! If you dont, there's something wrong with you :)

172 cup
Lol FFS...

PSf**kingJ.

This is a discussion at the end of the day and maybe a debate but not a slanging match.

Mk5 golf gti
We rival everything and nothing

its the drivers that rival one another not the vehicle

Fact

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Can't believe this is still open. I'd rather read Lynden's threads.

I wouldn't say it makes the club look good.

Did I also see someone compare a 150bhp hatch with a 170bhp hatch? Hmm i'm no mathematicion but come on!

Last edited:

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Eh?

We're comparing standard vs standard.

A GTTDI isn't 182 pace.

BHP doesn't "win" you a race in a straight line, torque does.

150 GT TDI has (IIRC) 240 lb/ft, 1*2 has around 140 lb/ft? Or something like that. 1st gear Clio would have the edge obviously.

Agree on above post btw ;)

MCS R56
Just dont try and stop quickly. No ABS you see ;)

What a load of pisch!

IMO, the rivals to the Clio are;

Corsa VXR
Astra VXR
Megane RS (not the new one)
Mini S
Civic Type R
Golf GTi
Ibiza Cupra
Leon Cupra

Some of these might be larger cars but they are all pretty similar on pace, out the packet. All cars have their pro's and cons and it depends what you want/prefer but I reckon they are all in the same bracket.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Lol @ Golf TDi being Clio pace. These people have obviously never been in one.

And I agree with Gally, this is such a s**t thread, can it please be locked, it was obviously not going to go well, I'm surprised it wasn't locked sooner.

MCS R56
LOL Astra and Megane shat all over Clio mate. Stick to the tractor chat from now on. ;)

Disagree. Yes, straight line and in-gear they are quicker but overall, they ain't.

And the MkV Golf TDi 170 is easily on pace with a Clio. You've obviously not been in one.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
wen ay ad me 172 i ad loadz o racis wiv scooby's an evo's. was all ova dem it was sick man im tellin u like. we definatle rival dem, specialy in da 30 zonez man

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
BHP doesn't "win" you a race in a straight line, torque does.

150 GT TDI has (IIRC) 240 lb/ft, 1*2 has around 140 lb/ft? Or something like that. 1st gear Clio would have the edge obviously.

Agree on above post btw ;)

LOL. You don't need to explain it to me mate. And yeah, the Clio's 148lb/ft.

From personal experience, standard vs standard, the Golf is the slower car. Rolling, from stationary, off a cliff.

Ok, so not off a cliff. That the only time the MkIV's weight would be an advantage.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
LOL. You don't need to explain it to me mate. And yeah, the Clio's 148lb/ft.

From personal experience, standard vs standard, the Golf is the slower car. Rolling, from stationary, off a cliff.

Ok, so not off a cliff. That the only time the MkIV's weight would be an advantage.

I'm going to lose this :(

Italian 3.2 V6
Ahaha, for the record my last post on here was a complete piss take lol. Just like this thread and half the people in here.

PSJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.