ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What do people think of v-maxx coilovers?

Sport 172 flame Red
Ok so I'm wanting some coilovers for my 172 non cup model, I was going to get the Ktec set but there out of stock till August and I'm impatient.

I have seen a few sets on eBay made by vmaxx and they seem reasonable and fairly priced at about 350-380 which is really my limit.

Would people recommend using them, I may do a few track days but I doubt that will be for a long while yet so they will just be for fast road set up.

182 FF
Only my opinion but my old 172 cup I had the dreaded Raceland jobbies and my new 182 has H&R's and the difference is staggering. Both do their job well but the ride quality on the H&R's is brilliant.

Sport 172 flame Red
Only my opinion but my old 172 cup I had the dreaded Raceland jobbies and my new 182 has H&R's and the difference is staggering. Both do their job well but the ride quality on the H&R's is brilliant.

Cheers,​And what price are we talking for h&r's?

Sport 172 flame Red
Wow there pricey! I bet there fantastic, I'm really just looking for basic lows and a little less body roll

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Vmaxx will be fine for road use but over uneven bumpy roads they can be a little crashy. Ive had a set on mine for 2yrs and i use my car daily. I dont have a problem with them but i do wish that i'd got a better set. I have been in a car that has adjustable damping and it is noticeably different though. Vmaxx can only do height and camber adjustability, not damping. My advice would be if you can afford more then get a better coilover. For a few £££ more you can get a set that you will be totally happy with rather than buying a set cheaper and a year down the line looking to change again. All IMO of course.

The good thing for you is that you have a lot more coilover choice due to having 54mm bolt spacing.

330i. E30 Touring.
Why not get a second hand set of reasonable ones?

Could probably get a second hand set of FK's or Bilsteins for that money.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I found them rock solid TBH, but i've never been in/experienced any others.

Sport 172 flame Red
I found them rock solid TBH, but i've never been in/experienced any others.

Oh really!? These are the ones I'm thinking of getting

item number: 370757748965

those others that are combined are a little puzzling so I think I will pass on those.

A SHED!
on my old cup i found them soft and if not worse than the std shock/eibach spring combo i had on it before.

Sport 172 flame Red
For a couple 100 more you can get bilsteins which perform much better on the road imo.

The thing is I'm on a budget as I've just bought new wheels and tyres and getting the car mapped, isit really worth the extra 100 notes? The car is only used weekends and occasional shows

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Depends on you I guess not like the vmaxx are horribly crap just I found the bilsteins noticeably better.

First time round I went for vmaxx and was quite dissapointed as I expected more, second time I went for bilsteins and was happy I paid more for a better coilover.

182 FF
If you want coilovers for "stance" then go for the Vmaxx, if not refresh the stock dampers and some eibachs/cooksport etc. springs in your budget. The coilovers will be a bit more crashy but if you want them for looks go for it, and unless you go too low if won't ruin the car. Make sure you get the geometry set up tho!

​The H&R's I've got came with the car and I would say they are the best of both world as would the Bilsteins etc but they are double your budget.

BG182 FF
I've got a set of V-maxx coilies 3 months ago and I bitterly regret the purchase.
In Germany I have no chance to sell them unfortunately. I'd give my right arm to reverse the decision to buy Vmaxx.

I'll get a set of H&R or sth. similar once I get the chance to pick them up.

PH2 RS172
i bought some vmaxx coileys from a member on here. they work fine for me as im not planning any track days just road use. yes they are a bit crashy but you get what you pay for. if you want your car on its arse cheap, then youre not going for comfort. thing that annoys me is theyre no better than jom coileys ive fitted to numerous bmws ive had in the past yet theyre about double the price new hence me buying secondhand. theyre defo better than the knackered shocks i took off thats a cert lol

Sport 172 flame Red
i bought some vmaxx coileys from a member on here. they work fine for me as im not planning any track days just road use. yes they are a bit crashy but you get what you pay for. if you want your car on its arse cheap, then youre not going for comfort. thing that annoys me is theyre no better than jom coileys ive fitted to numerous bmws ive had in the past yet theyre about double the price new hence me buying secondhand. theyre defo better than the knackered shocks i took off thats a cert lol

Thanks for your post, very helpful.

I think I'm going to get some and give them a try