ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What colour 172

Megane RS 275 Trophy

Hi This is my first post on here, Just wanted to know what others think??????

Im going to buy a used 172 next week seen 2 cars both on a 03 plate both very good condition, ones silver the others black and I cant make up my mind, can you kind people help me?

With your answers could you please put a reason and maybe some plus and minus point.

Thanks in advance,
Billy

2005 Impreza WRX STI

i think u should change the font size!lol welcome to cliosport! id prob have black out of the two but as mentioned, look for a red one!i like blue too TBH

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

A flame red Mk1 172. Wish i could have found one.:cry:

if you see one in the metal. you wont want any other 172.

Black looks good. For an hour.

Is the silver 172 a Mk1 or Mk2?

--chris

ITR UKDC2

out of the two colours that you are looking at i would go with the black

the pros of the silver are that you cant see dirt that much! or scratches

But there alot of sliver cars out there

black looks mean as F*ck but you will be cleaning it every day if you want it to look good!

scratches show up alot i found when i had a black polo gti

good luck mate with you buy!

Lee

BMW M2C

Personal opinion here.

Black 172s hide the wider arches and look more like a 1.2. Hence why everyone buys a 1.2 in black.

Monaco Blue is lovely, I had one myself, but its not too sporty a colour.

Silver is great, but by far the most common colour on the Mk2 172.

Red is where its at I reckon. Lovely colour and pretty rare on the 172 also.

Black Gold 182

wish i could find a 172 phase 2 close to me to buy...not fussed on colour...although i personally dont realy want a silver one.

[Edited by Phil 172 on 7/31/2005 1:00:55 AM]

Quote: Originally posted by yzfr6 on 30 July 2005

Im going to buy a used 172 next week seen 2 cars both on a 03 plate both very good condition, ones silver the others black and I cant make up my mind, can you kind people help me?
I would buy the best example I could for the money, to be honest you cant really be fussed on the two colours, as you have looked at both of them.

one thing i would say (not on those two colours) is flame red - a different world altogether & much rarer !

VaVa

Out of the two colours mentioned, Silver everytime for the reasons Lee stated. Black seems to hide the lines of the car making it indistinguishable from 1.2s etc wwhen out on the road.

Megane RS 275 Trophy

Thanks for the help folks Hmmmm flame red seems to be coming out very strong, but this is not an option as Ive not seen one for sale around me area!!!!!

I personaly like to black car to the silver I know it will need cleaning more but hey it will be my new baby (y)

Also whilst im on here is there anything I should do / no do whilst on the test drive, what should I look out for on a 03 172. Ive had a look at the buyers guide on the site but Id like it from you the peeps that own the cars the peeps that use them every day......

Once again thanks in advance ---- Billy ;)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Zorba_the_greek on 30 July 2005
out of the two colours that you are looking at i would go with the blackthe pros of the silver are that you cant see dirt that much! or scratchesBut there alot of sliver cars out thereblack looks mean as F*ck but you will be cleaning it every day if you want it to look good!scratches show up alot i found when i had a black polo gti<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">good luck mate with you buy!

ditto

Mini Cooper S sport

Flame red is a LOVELY colour and really stands out.

I had a black 172 and was constantly cleaning it. Looked great when it was just washed but was always dirty within a day.

It was handy having a car that didnt stand out too much where I live, but someones got a Billabong near me and the two cars looked almost identical.

I like the silver ones, Ive seen a few around and Id definitely consider it if you cant find a red one.

Golf R/Leon FR

def flame red if you can find one absolutley mint colour,

but silver always looks clean and hides scratches better,

out of the 2 colours you have mentioned id go for black

Leon TDI

Having both had a Silver 172 and a Black 182, I would say Silver.
Black is just too much hassle. Nothing looks better than a black car when its polished, but then again, nothing looks worse than a black car when its dirty.

Black is just a pain in the arse to keep clean. You may enjoy cleaning it for the first few months when its new, but 6 months down the line it will be a differnt story. You wont even want to use the window washers, as the drying marks will show on a black cars paintwork.

During the summer months you will have to wash it weekly for it to look good. During the autum, winter and spring, forget about it, it will never look good.

Plus black looks too much like a dymanique ;)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dmcgrath/cliosport/172_mk2.jpg
Get Silver. It will always appear clean and tidy.

Whatch out for zorst rattle at 4k revs.

[Edited by Woof on 7/31/2005 4:25:28 PM]

Megane RS 275 Trophy

Quote: Originally posted by ricclio on 31 July 2005

flame red just got one people are loving the color
Cant seem to find one in that colour around here M8 wish I could

I had never seen the flame red when I brought mine, but it was Monaco Blue all the way for me. Black is nice but looks like a 1.2 and silver is too common.

But out of your two choices I would go for the better car in terms of price, milage, number of owners etc. As the colour doesnt make that much difference.

Megane RS 275 Trophy

Ive just found a MINT Monaco Blue 172, 1 owner bog standard 16 months warranty not a mark on it 36000 miles just had its 36000 mile service FRSH 53 plate with cruise control £7200.00 but he said on the phone he would take £7000.00

But the wife dont like the colour :mad: I think shell have to go (I wish it was that easy!!!!!)

This should be my car but what can I do????? cash in hand ready to go.....:(

[Edited by yzfr6 on 02 August 2005 at 12:34pm]

[Edited by yzfr6 on 02 August 2005 at 12:35pm]

Go for it - monaco blue is the best colour IMO (cos Ive got one).

Silver - very nice looking but too common IMO
Black - pain in the arse to keep clean (Ive had a black car in hte past, never again)
Red - not convinced by it, dont know why, but certainly the rarest colour (closely followed by monaco blue - Ive only seen one other 172 in monaco blue in 18months of ownership).

Heres a pic of a blue and silver side-by-side to help you...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/allygmitchell/Crail%2010th%20July%202005/IMG_1748.jpg