ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What Battery

172 Silver Cup
I only use my clio 172 about once every 2 weeks. I need a new battery but I was wondering, is there a certain type of battery that would hold a charge for this sort of use? Or do I just get a normal battery and stick it on trickle charge?

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
I'd say trickle charge, However on my old 1.2 I had loads of TVs and subs amps etc... I modified the engine bay to hold a long van battery :)

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
Trickle charging, or float charging, means charging a battery at a similar rate as it is self-discharging, thus maintaining a full capacity battery. Most rechargeable batteries, particularly nickel-cadmium batteries or nickel metal hydride batteries, have a moderate rate of self-discharge, meaning they gradually lose their charge even if they are not used in a device. One must be careful, however, that if a battery regulator is not employed, the charge rate isn't greater than the level of self-discharge, or overcharging and possible damage or leakage may occur.
The difference between a float charger and a trickle charger is that the float has circuitry to prevent overcharging. It senses when the battery voltage is at the maximum level and temporarily shuts off the charge (floats voltage at zero or a very minimal charge until it senses that the battery output voltage has fallen, then resumes charging ). You can keep it connected indefinitely.
A trickle charger, on the other hand, will charge no matter whether the battery is fully charged or not. So it needs to be connected and disconnected periodically. If left in place too long it'll eventually boil the electrolyte out of the cells or damage the plates. Trickle chargers will work to keep the battery charged if used once a month or so for a day or 2, but the float chargers can be left connected indefinitely without potential harm to the battery.

wiki

Clio II and Grand Modus
I only use my clio 172 about once every 2 weeks. I need a new battery but I was wondering, is there a certain type of battery that would hold a charge for this sort of use? Or do I just get a normal battery and stick it on trickle charge?

I use my Clio like you and I just had a normal battery, for the last year it had started the car just fine. You don´t need any charger if the batt. is ok.

If you drive a longer trip the battery will be fully charged anyway, if you only go on short trip I would Charged it.