ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WEP keys

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
is it possible to be able to find out what the wep key could be on secure wireless connections?

if so how? and how to prevent it

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Prevent it by mac filtering.

Most access points allow you to filter MAC addresses, every wireless card should have this written on the back of it, then enter it into the AP.

Its possible to get the WEP key by sniffing traffic and using programs to get the key. Get over to www.netstumbler.com and look at the forums there.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
ok nice one, just im a but worried about my wireless connetion and for what ive set up onto it i want to see if i crack it with simple tools then beef up sexurity

Clio 182
you have to capture something like 5 million packets to find out a password..... Will take along time to do.

MK2 172
Unless someone really knows what they are doing then the chance of your WEP key being broken is low. Although due to the incorrect way that WEP was implemented it is possible to crack it. So for peace of mind use WPA (I.E. WEP thats fixed) and MAC filtering.