ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Went through Puddle Car wont Start again!

So I went through a flooded area last night probs 2-3 inches went slowly but after my car just died, wont start again.

Car is full of petrol so that aint the problem Im guessing water damage is the issue.

The car just makes a click noise when you try to start it and it makes the click noise and a short "Hmmm" coming form the relay box

Can anyone help me out on how I can solve this issue?

I'm about as technical as a goldfish, however, that sounds like the emergency cut off.

There will be a big red button on the pass side by the battery, press it, then it should start.

(I'd probably ignore this advice until someone wise appears unless A) you're daring B) In a hurry)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I had this once with my old Austin metro.

Water in the distributor cap on the metro. Dried it all out etc and then it worked. Thank god for my dad who knew what to do!

S4 Avant
If you drop your phone in water, a good trick is to put it in a bag of rice for 2 days.

So the answer is simple.... you need a really big bag of rice.

Ph2 172
had this happen to me once too, turned out it had filled the bores with water, removed the plugs and spun it over to find the bores were actually fillled with water

Or you may have done what I done with my old Clio, I managed to drive through a flood and get water sucked into the air intake, cue a loud bang and stopping in middle of said flood . On further examination It managed to blow 1 hole in side of engine 2 holes in the sump and bend 3 conrods  so was the scrapyard in the sky for it. View attachment 80971

A SHED!
my wife's car- 206 had been slugging shuddering and kicking out tons of white smoke and sounded like it was firing on three cylinders. So last night i checked the oil, abit mayonnaisey and immediately thought head gasket. However checking the plugs, they were sooted up. Which led me to a possible clogged airfiler/running rich scenario. The airbox was literally a bucket full of water. She said she driven through a big puddle at work(std CAF in wheel arch) and after i back handed her. I realised the water had been sucked in spurts to the engine and oil breathers pipes causing misdiagnosis of head gasket. So plugs cleaned,oil drained, air filter re-oiled and intake pipes dry. It now runs like a dream. Moral of the story water and air filters don't mix.

Here the photo I cant see that Button thing haha

the relay box over at the right hand side makes the click noise

7519688444_3ac06edfb7.png

IMG_7714 by dale.bolan, on Flickr

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Take your air filter out, if it's wet then take the plugs out and try and turn it over, prob to late if there is water ingress.

Take your air filter out, if it's wet then take the plugs out and try and turn it over, prob to late if there is water ingress.

Took the air filter out and most of its pipes cleaned it dried it, try to turn car out with out it still no luck

Put everything back together tried again and still no sucess

Ok so water has got to the engine which is why it now won't start, you need to get this out, however the engine is probably dead by now because if hydrolock things are likely bent.

Before you give up hope remove spark plugs and check if you can see water in the cylinders, use a torch and check all cylinders, will be easiest to see in the cylinders with the pistons near tdc. I think I am right I saying you will do no more damage now by then cranking it with the plugs out to expell the water through the spark plug holes. then dry the threads as replace plugs and hope for the best.

Ok so water has got to the engine which is why it now won't start, you need to get this out, however the engine is probably dead by now because if hydrolock things are likely bent.

Before you give up hope remove spark plugs and check if you can see water in the cylinders, use a torch and check all cylinders, will be easiest to see in the cylinders with the pistons near tdc. I think I am right I saying you will do no more damage now by then cranking it with the plugs out to expell the water through the spark plug holes. then dry the threads as replace plugs and hope for the best.

I aint the best when it comes to engines etc of cars where abouts am I looking with the torch for the pistons etc?

Can't answer your last question but what's happening when your turning the key?, is the car turning over or do you just get a click sound?

it just makes like the clicm noise and thats it.

Dont have the tools to get spark plugs out until monday then we are gonna crank it and hope for the best

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Last mine sat and clicked, the loom to the TDC was fubar - Water and all, it's worth a try replacing it before going down the new lump route.

img_9083.jpg

Said sensor, it's on the top of the gearbox where it meets the block. 2 Bolts.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I did this once in a van, new engine fixed it :quiet:

Bad times. Was only a shitty van though.

LY 182
Last mine sat and clicked, the loom to the TDC was fubar - Water and all, it's worth a try replacing it before going down the new lump route.

img_9083.jpg

Said sensor, it's on the top of the gearbox where it meets the block. 2 Bolts.

Try replacing the crank sensor if not change the engine ?!? That's good advice!!

Get it looked at mate, will be much cheaper than aimlessly throwing parts at something that could end up being scrap, it sounds hydraulic to me, as has been said, you'd need to take the spark plugs out and see if it cranks.