ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Welshname's Monaco 172

Fluid level ever go down, or remain OK?

Piston could be rusted to f*ck inside the caliper too. New seal kits are cheap as chips and its easy to pop the piston out, clean up and replace seal and refit. Re-do the sliders at the same time then too and you basically have a new caliper.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Fluid level is fine. It was low when I got it (put that down to the fact there was literally no pad left) but since then its not moved.

Yeah I'll be taking it off tomorrow and greasing the sliders but I'll be looking to refurb them once I've been paid. I'll have a look around for seal kits and new slider bolts/gaitors etc

While I never bought anything off them, BI tried to source me a master cylinder rebuild kit for an early E21, they couldn't find one in the end but they were wonderfully helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again if and when I need to.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Few things to update. I've received my calliper refurb kit from Brakes International so I'll be cracking on with that at some point, but I also purchased a DAS-6 Pro and set about trying to achieve some level of correction on the paint. The paintwork is shocking to say the least, the more I look the more piss poor repairs I find. None of them are consistent with an accident (car is HPI clear anyway) but it looks more like a mix of vandalism and opening doors into things.

Bought the Menz starter kit from Clean Your Car and I found that the level of correction wasn't great, it's brought a lot more gloss back to the paintwork and the flake is much clearer but I'll be getting myself something a little more aggressive compound wise and giving it another go. But either way it's a huge improvement in the clarity already.

I didn't manage to get any after photos as I had to get off to EFI as I was running late. I will hopefully get some pictures tomorrow.

So...EFI. When I got the car I did all the belts myself as they were nearly due and the receipt for the last time was a little dubious so even though I checked the timing and retimed it etc there was still a little bit of doubt being the first one I've done.
Jonff told me last week or earlier this week (can't remember which) that he was heading to EFI today to do a rolling road run since he'd plumbed the boost solenoid back in and asked if I was going to pop along. Saw this as a perfect opportunity to see how healthy my engine was and put my mind at ease that the timing was all spot on.

And the results:

14098582594_6842d410f0_z.jpg

172 Rolling Road Results by welshname, on Flickr

14095043952_f7bcbe01a5_z.jpg

172 Rolling Road Graph by welshname, on Flickr

14075047976_ed5eb53a1e_z.jpg

172 AFR graph by welshname, on Flickr

Very happy. Nice healthy engine and not a bad figure for a basically standard car (has the K-Tec Stealth but still retains the standard cat.)

Next plans are:

- Refurb the callipers
- RS Tuner
- K-Tec style induction setup
- Get a silencer put in the centre section or find someone wanting a swap for un-silenced

Thanks.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Now I know why I didn't find out you had a 172 until today,
I don't go in the projects section as Clio's don't really interest me,
other than driving one which I still enjoy.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers. Going to order some dome nuts to put on the end of the braided lines so I don't have to ***** about leaving it to catch into a bottle when doing the refurb.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Couldn't find my camera today at first so took a quick snap on the phone.

Paint is much glossier but its been pretty overcast today and Monaco only shows its flake in sunlight.

Doesn't look too bad though.

umabu5em.jpg

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So today I finally got round to swapping my engine mount over for one kindly donated by @Jonff

Feels much better than mine did but not 100% so I'll probably get a brand new one at some point. I'll more than likely go for the Kangoo item as people seem to think it's a little stiffer without going the whole 9 yards and getting a solid mount.

After this I was tempted to go into Wales but realised that the traffic would be a nightmare so this evening I ventured out over past Dovestones>Holmfirth>Meltham>Diggle>Uppermill and home again.

Should really have taken my camera with me but I completely forgot. Couple of crappy phone pictures from Meltham.

14021001480_73c7f9d682_z.png

Monaco3 by welshname, on Flickr

14205159072_6c1b84e790_z.png

Monaco1 by welshname, on Flickr

Still need to refurb the brakes but I've got a serious case of CBA at the minute. Will give the car a clean tomorrow evening when my driveway is nice and shaded and will try and remember to finally take some proper pictures.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Spent the afternoon cleaning the car today. Just gave it a quick wash as I did the whole decon etc a week ago. @Eddie. leant me his Zymol Glasur to give the clio a go with. You need virtually nothing to apply to the car and it smells incredible, I was told it has a habit of gassing after it's been left for a while but I finished the car at about 2:30 and it's still looking good now so touch wood all is well.

Got back from the pub a few minutes ago and thought I'd get some pictures. 2 out of 9 of them are even remotely worth looking at and overprocessed to hell. I'll get some sober eventually!

14028610050_039b35c6dc_z.jpg

Monaco Reflection by welshname, on Flickr

14028649477_4d7eff7910_z.jpg

Cleaned Monaco by welshname, on Flickr

The arch gap really needs seeing to and the tuck on the rear is unreal. Spacers and coilovers are going to be next as after seeing another monaco with cup shocks and cooksports it's just not low enough. I ideally want the fronts to be level with the arch and the rears to have a little arch gap for some forward rake.

Thanks for looking.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I literally dabbed it in the top and then didn't go back to the tub until I wasn't getting a uniform layer from the applicator then when I went back I'd spread the initial dab over a large surface before going back over in circular motions. Seems to have worked well

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So my aircon has been a bit faulty recently. When it worked it was ice cold so I knew it wasn't the aircon itself. Basically if it was working it would continue to work until you turned the temp up. Then it would not come back down again.

My initial idea was heater control valve sticking open but it looks like they don't have one. Had a search on here and saw scary prices being quoted for repair (around £6-700). Then I stumbled upon a cheap fix.

Basically instead of a valve there is a motor which rotates a flap to either pass air over the heater matrix or bypass it, the motor sits into a hole that looks like Lisa Simpsons head. Turns out the holes split open over time and splay out.

Took the gearstick surround out and removed the three bolts that motors bolt to to be greeted with this.

5e9eje2u.jpg

As you can see its pretty fucked. So I put a small cable tie around it to bring it all back together and put the whole thing back.

Now its all working and I can go from boiling hot to ice cold in seconds. Result. Only took 45 mins :)

Oh and a couple of pictures from yesterday after a Z6 wipedown and a second layer of Glasur

jeje2yru.jpg

nyte2yse.jpg

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I did it the same night. Completely forgot to put that in here LOL! For something down by your feet you really notice the difference a LOT when you get in the car. Massive improvement.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Just placed an order for the ktec sport centre section which has the silencer and cup shocks. Just got to wait for cooksports to come back in stock and also get myself some spacers ordered.

Looks like the springs have been out of stock for over a month :(

RB 182
Good read

My Stormer was Monaco before it was sprayed, always fancied a Monaco - suppose I kinda have one now :/

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So parts have started to arrive. I've ordered the following so far:

- 25mm M.A.D Spacers
- 15mm M.A.D Spacers
- Extended wheel bolts
- Cup Shocks
- Fabia splitter
- 200 style RS badge
- Mazda 3 MPS aerial
- Silenced K-tec Stealth centre section
- Prima racing exhaust mount

I think that's everything. It's all started to arrive anyway. Just waiting on finding some cooksports. Bedroom is starting to look like a sorting office.

uhymyvyb.jpg

Last edited:

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So bit of an update.

Finally managed to get my hands on a set of cooksports so I decided today to get everything fitted.

I had already fitted the 200 badge

Removed:

muhumaje.jpg

Cleaned up:

ehy5eje8.jpg

9ysyvy6a.jpg

Fitted:

ge9a2e3a.jpg

So got on with the springs, cup shocks, spacers and splitter.

Springs and shocks on:

emezudaz.jpg

Back on the ground with 25mm spacers:

6u8e7eva.jpg

And the rear with 15mm:

e4eryqah.jpg

And the splitter:

e3e7unum.jpg

You'll have to excuse the dirt and camping stuff. I spent the weekend at shell island with some friends. I managed to get myself stuck on the beach amongst other things:

ga2ujyte.jpg

ube6uhug.jpg

Luckily I didn't have the splitter or springs fitted!

Car is now clean too and will get some good pictures of the finished product in the week or weekend.

:)