ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Welshname's Monaco 172

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Today I've done:

Handbrake cable
Oil and filter change
Brake fluid flush and bleed
Then washed it until it rained

zuveta4a.jpg

Then about 5 mins ago I realised it was dry and nipped out to put some seriously needed tyre shine on

5a2enahe.jpg

sy9u4y2u.jpg

And anyone who says that sealant only sheets and doesn't bead well isn't doing it right

y8u4u3ar.jpg

And that's only from a very light shower. After it's rained heavy it beads better than any wax I've used before, really tight and neat beads, the sides tend to sheet though which is fine by me.

Exhaust needs aligning better though :( will do it when my new clamp arrives.

Have been debating silver turinis recently but I think I'll get the standard wheels refurbed in a nice clean silver, I think they really suit monaco and will look great after a subtle drop and spacers.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Looks really nice, I'm impressed with all the work that's gone into this. Agreed on the wheels, for some reason the OE 16s with a nice drop seem to suit the Monaco really well.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Looks really nice, I'm impressed with all the work that's gone into this. Agreed on the wheels, for some reason the OE 16s with a nice drop seem to suit the Monaco really well.

Cheers! Not a patch on the work that's gone into yours but thanks.

The wheels are an absolute state, they've obviously had a cheap refurb at some point as the brake dust has eaten away at the paint and there is more silver underneath, just darker. It's pretty grim. Obviously whoever owned it previously doesn't know how to park either. But yeah, wheels will be one of the last things I do. I want spacers, new shocks (tempted by adjustables but might just go for cup shocks for the price of them and do adjustables at a later date) and cooksport springs. I think then it'll be looking more or less how I want it, then it'll just be a case of cleaning it all up.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I don't think you will go far wrong with new OE dampers (172 Cup?) and Cooksports, the spacers will IMO give it just the right look. It will look perfect will all that fitted as well as a tidy wheel refurb.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I'll be going for cup shocks all round I think along with wishbones (although I'm led to believe that all of the later 172's had the cup wishbones anyway).

Also that reminds me that I need to sort the logbook. For some bizzare reason it's on there as a 172 Cup (was also advertised as one but I'm not enough of an idiot to not know the difference). Should make dealing with insurance companies a little easier, at present I spent about 20 minutes on the phone explaining that it's not a cup before they actually get what I'm saying.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
One more picture to show Werkstat Acrylic Jett at work now that it's rained properly.

6any7u6u.jpg

That's been washed twice since applying (with washing up liquid once :/ ) and I only applied one layer. Love the stuff.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Saw bits and bobs of this on flickr the other day, thought I'd pop in here. It looks really good mate, as said, monaco with standard wheels works really well indeed.

Nice tidy up thread so far, look forward to seeing it progress.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I know. I really need to be bothered to get the proper camera out. Once I've finished doing all the oily bits and I'm just cleaning it I'll get the camera out.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I've now aligned the exhaust a lot better so I'm much happier with that and got the back box to centre section join pushed closer together to see if it was blowing slightly causing the drone, which it was to some extent but it's still far too boomy so I'll have a silencer put in it next month.

Unfortunately I'm having a problem with the car. When I got the car it had the worst brakes imaginable (as can be seen in my pictures), so I put this issue down to this. Then I replaced them and it seemed to go away, then it came back so I put it down to the horrible brake fluid. Then I changed that and it's still there.

The problem is that the car feels like it's got pretty bad brake fade under ANY sort of heavy braking. When they're cold the first few uses are great and the bite is superb along with the pedal feel, but once they've been used there just seems to be very poor braking effort. Now when I got the car the fluid warning light would come on when you cornered hard so I'm worried air has gotten into the in the ABS pump (as whenever I brake hard or use the brakes lightly for a 3-4 revolutions of a wheel the TC and ABS lights come on and remain on for the rest of the journey).

When I bled the brakes I was careful not to let the fluid in the reservoir drop so I know it's not my own doing, but what are the chances it's this, or do we think I just need to bed the pads in properly as I didn't really bed them in 100% when I got it and I've just been driving to and from work in it since so there is a chance the pads could just be glazed.

Opinions would be great.

Thanks.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Manually. The first time I bled them before the fluid flush I got air from the drivers side rear calliper, but none of the others, when I did the full flush there was no air and the fluid level hadn't dropped at all either to suggest there is a leak.

Cool. So when you've used them for a bit, does it feel like you've got manual brakes (harder pedal) and more effort from yourself is required to get the car to stop? Or does the pedal just go soft and not do much?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Was going to post up a spotted thread this morning :). Was driving to work with my sister.

I did try to hang back behind the lorry and flash you but it didn't work too well lol!

Your car always looks so clean :(

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Bed the DS2500 pads in properly Rhys as per the instructions in the box , if you've thrown them PM me and I'll talk you through it

Car looks nice and plans look good.

Im going to be the arse and say why put DS2500's on for a 6mile commute though? Seems abit much for a daily

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Because I like driving properly from time to time and plan on some track work.

My last "fun" car had Mintex 1144's and when you really pushed you just started to get brake fade so wanted to avoid that this time. The only reason I've not been out driving this for drivings sake is because I've been fixing things and at present I've not really got much love for it. Hoping that'll change once everything is sorted.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
Looking good rhys, I wont be able to make the pub meet but joe is collecting so stuff from mine tonight do you want me to give him the special bus gearstick so you can collect it from him at bury? welshname

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
^ Exhaust is sitting much better mate

Take it easy for a few miles then give them death for a few stops isn't it?

In a nutshell yes. You want to get some heat into them, you'd not get them up to the required temperature under normal road driving. It's repetitive braking in a row with increasing speed, around 20+ times total until they are really biting, then let them cool

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Been out in it tonight to my favourite private runway to go through the bedding in process properly. I'm still seriously unhappy with the brakes, it's gotta be a bigger issue somewhere.

They still feel like I've got serious brake fade and braking hard takes a lot of effort, I'm wondering if there is either a vacuum leak or a problem with the servo or master cylinder. I can scrub speed off from 80-40 pretty easily, but that last 40mph requires some serious stomping on the pedal, which is weird as from rolling at 20ish and getting on the brakes it stops really sharp. There is literally no feel to the pedal either.

ABS works which I found and I can generate enough brake pressure to lock a wheel up (just before the ABS kicks in).

I'm at a bit of a loss really. I had more confidence in the 1.2's brakes than I do these and it's not like they aren't bedded in properly now, I've literally eliminated all the easy stuff: fluid, pads, discs etc.

Also @G 172 when bedding them in doing it 20ish times they don't start to get better, they start to get worse and I end up with such poor braking effort it's dangerous.

Never had any issues with DS2500 myself and I have had them on a few cars.

I have never read the instructions with them though. Always just taken it easy for a few miles then given them hell!

They just seemed to ask for more abuse up until the point when the faded that is.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah fair enough! Possibly a gammy calliper? There's only a finite number of things it could be tbf.

Callipers are fine, checked them when I was swapping the pads and discs over.

And yeah there is only x number of things it could be, but it's finding that issue as we both know how much I detest paying someone else to do something.