ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Well that didn’t last long!

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2

After having my car lowered a fortnight ago, I noticed in the last day or so a loud clunking coming from the right rear going over large bumps and speed humps.

Had a quick look underneath this morning and the shock is leaking. Kin ell! Rang Renault and they told me it is 100% customer and not done under warranty. Especially since I now have non-Renault springs on. Bolx!

So I either have to get the rear shocks replaced, OR....I could upgrade them all while Im at it since its been lowered and will knacker them out at some point. Plus I dont want to fork out and then the others go a bit later.

So, can you just buy uprated shocks or do you need to get the whole kit? Do you think I should get a full kit and go lower than 40mm (60 maybe?), or should I just get the shock replaced? Choices choices....

ST

You didnt call reno and say i have lowered my car on springs and the shock is now leaking did you?

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

hmmm, weird....my rear shock leaked oil as well mate but i didnt put it down to the springs as standard cars do it also. Think the shock leaking is a manufacturing defect and not caused by the springs although they may accelerate wear?! Not sure really, i feel bad tho as i sold em to you....sorry dude.

What about changing back to standard springs at the rear as its an easy enough job then get the shocks replaced under warranty? Although saying that i have read on here that someone has had four in a row fail and start to leak!! Maybe upgrade to some Koni dampners or something?

Quote: Originally posted by 16vClio on 15 August 2005
You didnt call reno and say i have lowered my car on springs and the shock is now leaking did you?
No I didnt mention it until she asked afterwards, and I said Id had em on a fortnight so shouldnt be the reason.

She said that Renault CS would probably tell me the same (before I mentioned springs).

Gary - Dont worry about it mate, not your fault!

Renault have told me that it wouldnt be replacable under warranty (3 years is up in November). Are they right or wrong? I thought that surely they shouldnt go in under 3 years??

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

Fine to drive mate....got 3 more ;-) lol. Take it easy tho. They are replaceable under warranty i think, best not let them see the springs...swap the rears back to standard and take it to a different dealership lol

ST

Well matey, get the lowering springs back off and get the standard ones back on, take it to another dealership and make them sort it out, most dealers start crying when you mention anything to do with warranty work anyways, just be sharp but poilite with them!

[Edited by 16vClio on 15 August 2005 at 6:01pm]

So basically I was misinformed by the dealer then, and it should be replaced under warranty? I will get on to Renault CS in the morning see what they say.