ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Welded Clio Diff

Race/Rally Clio 172
Heard a rumor that its possible to weld a Clio Diff so it acts like a LSD but when you jack the car up you can still turn one wheel so it appears that it does not have a LSD fitted!

Has anyone tried this or know if it can be done or cant be done!

Would save me shelling out for a LSD

thanks

iceberg 172
This would lock the diff good in a rear wheel drive for overstearing (drifting) bad in a fwd you would understeer to your death

S4 Avant
Just out of curiosity, the person who told you this little nugget, are they a particularly good friend? Because it sounds like they're trying to kill you.

BMW E46 330ci Sport
What the f**k?

Even with my basic knowledge of how front wheel drive and LSDs and the like work, this question makes absolutely no sense at all.

MEERKAT.jpg

I had a welded diff in my grass track car, rear wheel drive though.

I wouldn't have thought it'd work very well on tarmac. And I can't see how it could possibly allow one wheel to turn without the other, you are essentially welding the two ends of the driveshafts together.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Heard a rumor that its possible to weld a Clio Diff so it acts like a LSD but when you jack the car up you can still turn one wheel so it appears that it does not have a LSD fitted!

Has anyone tried this or know if it can be done or cant be done!

Would save me shelling out for a LSD

thanks

You can weld the diff and it will act in a straight line like an LSD in terms of both wheels will get power, so its ok for drag racing.
Horrific for cornering though as there will be no ability for the car to have a differential in speed between the two wheels, so it will be a total b**ch to try and parellel park and will be positively unsafe to try and corner.

Stpo trying to learn about cars from 14 year old boys on facebook is your best bet IMHO

Race/Rally Clio 172
Thanks for all the Replys hahahahahaha im going to chase my source!

I was told by a mate who was at the Autosport Show and someone had told him that there was a way of doing it, he is looking to build a 182 for the new 750 stock hatch series as i dont think the regs allow a LSD or ATB to be fitted! Thats why i put the bit in that if you jack the car up one side and the wheel would still spin or put one wheel on a roller to see if the car is using a LSD without taking the gearbox out to check!

I only own two the 200 isnt mine hahaha

Cup In bits
You could for example remove a spider gear to allow it to be permanent 1 wheel drive lol but I don't see it being much benefit. Be good to know how he would plan on doing it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I was told by a mate who was at the Autosport Show and someone had told him that there was a way of doing it, he is looking to build a 182 for the new 750 stock hatch series as i dont think the regs allow a LSD or ATB to be fitted! Thats why i put the bit in that if you jack the car up one side and the wheel would still spin or put one wheel on a roller to see if the car is using a LSD without taking the gearbox out to check!

If you have a quaiffe ATB diff then the wheels still spin in opposite directions like normal, so maybe it was quaiffe he spoke to?
Also it will allow one wheel to spin if you jack only one side in the air.
It needs to see some resistance on both wheels before it torque biases.

Only way to tell you have a quaiffe easily is to drive it and feel how well it lays the power down, or to pull the shafts out to check.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member

f*cked if he gets caught by the Scrutes as well.